The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Cyrus » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:42 am

Every time I've been during these cheer competitions it's not only obnoxious with the groups of kids, but the park is really crowded.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Fire2box wrote:
disney4me2001 wrote:I'm not usually one to ask these questions since I actually do get to go to SFMM a lot, but should I be worried about this?

Sharp Cheer & Dance Competition- Western Regionals

It's being held on Sunday Dec. 14th, which is when I'm planning on going next. Normally I'll go on Sundays because it's usually less busy than Saturdays in my experience, but Sundays also normally work in my favor since events seem to happen on Saturdays most of the time. So, any thoughts? Should I maybe consider going on Sat. the 13th instead? My current plan is to hit USH on that day, but I could easily switch them to SFMM on Sat. and USH on Sun.

Days where there's cheerleading/dance competition at SF:DK means the park will be jammed packed and lines that are normally 20 mins long in the "off-season" become 40 mins long at the shortest. Because families will only watch when their kid is doing something and siblings will be bored and go do the rides. Meanwhile the groups of performers will stand off to the side doing some final practice stuff.

If its anything like these events at SFDK, expect very, very heavy crowds.

I went once recently (I think during Fright Fest) when there was a cheer competition and the park wasn't too crowded. I can't remember exactly when it was, though, but it was a Sunday.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:18 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
Fire2box wrote:
disney4me2001 wrote:I'm not usually one to ask these questions since I actually do get to go to SFMM a lot, but should I be worried about this?

It's being held on Sunday Dec. 14th, which is when I'm planning on going next. Normally I'll go on Sundays because it's usually less busy than Saturdays in my experience, but Sundays also normally work in my favor since events seem to happen on Saturdays most of the time. So, any thoughts? Should I maybe consider going on Sat. the 13th instead? My current plan is to hit USH on that day, but I could easily switch them to SFMM on Sat. and USH on Sun.

Days where there's cheerleading/dance competition at SF:DK means the park will be jammed packed and lines that are normally 20 mins long in the "off-season" become 40 mins long at the shortest. Because families will only watch when their kid is doing something and siblings will be bored and go do the rides. Meanwhile the groups of performers will stand off to the side doing some final practice stuff.

If its anything like these events at SFDK, expect very, very heavy crowds.

I went once recently (I think during Fright Fest) when there was a cheer competition and the park wasn't too crowded. I can't remember exactly when it was, though, but it was a Sunday.

I think I was there that same day. It wasn't so horrible I wanted to throw myself off the top of medua's lift hill, but the parking lot became filled that they had to open the parking lot of the fairgrounds.

Personally i'd avoid such days but SFDK doesn't give updates on these sort of events.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby buck funny » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:00 pm

RandallDuell wrote: DarienLaker wrote:^I thought that there's museum with the history of Magic Mountain on top of Sky Tower, now I'm confused. :?r

i think the history museum is in sky tower's mechanical room. :)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:34 pm

In my experience, these usually turn it from a Flash Pass optional day to a Flash Pass recommended day, assuming you want to be sure to ride everything. It's not going to be so crowded you only get on a handful of rides, but you may see waits around 60 minutes for the headliners (for reference, I've never seen a wait over 30 minutes on a typical off-season Sunday). If you visit the park frequently, don't mind waiting in some lines, and aren't stressed over getting everything in I wouldn't worry about it too much. Saturday may be slightly better, but I don't think it will make too much of a difference.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby iloveblueberries » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:04 am

That museum should be in a museum.
I am the snowman.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Jerome » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:23 pm

iloveblueberries wrote:It would be tricky trying to tear that tower down...

Also, Magic Mountain, fix your tower don't tear it down. The longer they leave it SBNO, the longer it will stand as a symbol of the parks poor operations.

According to a good source the skytower has two problems right now. The first is the money. It may be a couple of million or more. The second and more important problem is the state of California. They are calling it an elevator not a ride. So they want it up to elevator codes. This is an oddly shaded elevator with a counter weight pulley system. They haven't founded anyone who can do the job. I know we all like to blame Magic Mountain for everything. But this time they are not at fault.
Last edited by Jerome on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:27 pm.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby iloveblueberries » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Jerome wrote:
iloveblueberries wrote:It would be tricky trying to tear that tower down...

Also, Magic Mountain, fix your tower don't tear it down. The longer they leave it SBNO, the longer it will stand as a symbol of the parks poor operations.

According to "the coaster guy" the skytower has two problems right now. The first is the money. It may be a couple of million or more. The second and more important problem is the state of California. They are calling it an elevator not a ride. So they want it up to elevator codes. This is an oddly shaded elevator with a counter weight pulley system. They haven't founded anyone who can do the job. I know we all like to blame Magic Mountain for everything. But this time they are not at fault.

I understand, and I was aware of this prior to my post. At the end of the day it doesn't matter why the ride doesn't work, what matters is it doesn't work. And that will, no matter what, continue to give the park, a bad image.

If you go to a restaurant and year round they have the bathrooms closed because of a problem that only a specific set of people can solve, are you going to care about that reason? Or are you going to care about whether the bathroom works or not. Me personally, I don't care how you fix it. Same goes for sky tower except in that case, it's not a total necessity. But neither is any other attraction at the park. All know is if I pay for that $70 ticket or season pass; then I want to be able to get the awesome view from sky tower like I always used to- and I should be able to.
I am the snowman.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby berryfarm » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Twisted Colossus update :airtime:

POV Video:
073.JPG
Twisted Colossus construction site.
007.JPG
Today RMC top off the lift hill.
008.JPG
010.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
019.JPG
022.JPG
024.JPG
026.JPG
029.JPG
028.JPG
030.JPG
054.JPG
2 half hours later take off the track top lift hill,look like some went wrong on installing or do a test fit on it ? :(
081.JPG
083.JPG
084.JPG
Epic bunny hill.
082.JPG
075.JPG
070.JPG
More blue track. :)
076.JPG
039.JPG
Viper.
034.JPG
Viper trains got refurbish and all new wheels both trains.
068.JPG
Grand carousel most overlook ride at SFMM,love art work on it.
055.JPG
Lion and Unicorn dancing around.
065.JPG
066.JPG
black sheep not evil ;)
067.JPG
Dancing around beehive see how many times get sting.
033.JPG
052.JPG

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Rotura Violenta » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:20 am

^ Nice pics!

Went to the park tonight to check out the xmas stuff (a bit meh, but whatevs). Rolled in late and went straight to Apocalypse as I skipped it last visit due to one-train operation. The train got the top of the lift and then stopped, leaving us sitting there for about 20 minutes. Maintenance guys came up to take people's names, and they were talking about a possible evac, but they then got a call to send the train through the circuit. 5 minutes later, we were on our way and it seemed far more smooth from the last time I rode (a few months ago). They shut the ride down after that though, and I returned later to find that they'd removed the train and were back to a single train—one that felt far more rough.

The park wasn't too busy, but there were lines for YOLOcoaster and (strangely) Goliath for much of the night. The xmas stuff is really just a bunch of lights, some fake snow, and some props. Nothing too mind blowing, but they did manage to keep the crowds entertained. Rode Tatsu for the first time in at least a year (I've never liked it). It felt faster, but that's probably because it had been running all day. Still don't like it though. Colossus is a bit of a mess right now, but as you can see from the pictures above, the crest of the lift is almost done and you can get a sense of how the angle will be pitched.

PreviousNext