The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby GigaG » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 am

More of my pipe dreams. I seriously should go into engineering and design coasters...

Here is an idea for Iron Colossus. On a straight section, maybe the "speed hill" today (Yes, this would get rid of a massive airtime opportunity, but it would add something awesome), make a "dueling interlocking roll." Here's how this works-

Imagine side A on the left and side B on the right. Side A rolls in a stretched corkscrew (almost a heartline roll) over side B as as side B's train passes under. Now side B is on the left and side A has rolled over to the right. Then, Side B would do an identical element as side A passes under. This would also give the opportunity to move the tracks sideways a bit. I think a dueling RMC really should use this, it would be like an even more awesome "high-five."
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby tororific » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:05 am

OrlandoGuy wrote:Im sorry, I honestly know very little about construction, much less RMC Iron Horse makeovers, but wouldnt a long coaster with two lifts be incredibly dull and repetetive given the current stucture? .

I see what you are saying, but you could still have very different ride experiences on those similar layouts based on choices of where to put inversions, overbanks, bunny hills, etc. For example, consider the bunny hill after the second turnaround (where the block brake was installed years ago), the right side could install a zero-g-roll at the point and the left side could be an airtime hill. On the second turnaround, the left side could do a barrel roll and right side a severe overbank -- basically at each critical point in the ride layout, each side could be doing something very different.

but I agree that the best option would be to the extend the hill to 200+ feet and have one massive layout that runs most of the entire course. In fact, nothing says that you even have to use the entire Colossus layout for both sides of the track - you could have one massive drop, run the course through one entire side and then just use part of the second side course to return back to the station without completing the whole second circuit.

Lots of cool possibilities - i am intrigued to see what they end up doing.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby _IntaMAN_ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 am

I honestly hate the whole "one long track" idea... RMC is known for their short intense coasters and that's what I think we'll be seeing... Two short racing side by side coasters next to each other.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby CanobieFan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:09 am

First off, kudos to everyone who did the Colossus marathon! :airtime:

Secondly, am I the only one against the idea of iron horsing Colossus and Cyclone at SFNE? They're both park icons and SFI should learn to preserve and maintain the past, not let it it rot! Seems like I'm in the minority, rather I think I'm alone lol. :lmao:
I LOVE CLASSIC WOODEN COASTERS AND NOSTALGIA.
I AM STRONGLY AGAINST NEUTERING WOODEN COASTERS
(Sadly) I AM THOROUGHLY AGAINST TOPPER TRACK. WOODEN COASTERS ARE SUPPOSED TO RATTLE YOU.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby njcoasterguy34 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:15 am

CanobieFan wrote:First off, kudos to everyone who did the Colossus marathon! :airtime:

Secondly, am I the only one against the idea of iron horsing Colossus and Cyclone at SFNE? They're both park icons and SFI should learn to preserve and maintain the past, not let it it rot! Seems like I'm in the minority, rather I think I'm alone lol. :lmao:

I agree with you completely.
Only one word describes Green Lantern: "OW!"

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm really kinda sad that the marathon dropped so much. They went from 24 riders to 11 in less than 12 hours for a 36 hour marathon. Why even bother signing up if you're not gonna try?

GO CAESAR!
Last edited by KBrylczyk on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:38 pm.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:32 pm

TPR's Caesar is one of the final 6 riders in Six Flags Magic Mountain's Colossus Marathon! Over 230 rides so far! We have posted recent updates to our FB and Twitter pages! Show your support by sharing them!

GO CAESAR!!!
image.jpg

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks for taking one for the team Caesar. Keep up the good work... ...errrrrr... ...fun? :?r

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby _IntaMAN_ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:02 pm

KBrylczyk wrote:I'm really kinda sad that the marathon dropped so much. They went from 24 riders to 11 in less than 12 hours for a 36 hour marathon. Why even bother signing up if you're not gonna try?

GO CAESAR!

Heard from a lot of people that many wanted to keep trying but the heat was such a huge problem and if they even got off to apply sun screen or get water they'd automatically get disquallified. Plus, most people were trying but the rules were really strict, you had to come back on time from breaks and 5 people who were just 30 seconds late got disqualified, so it wasn't for lack of "trying" :roll: You could only get up during breaks as well and they were only 15 mins, so there's more truth that what you believe.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Nozzy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm

_IntaMAN_ wrote:
KBrylczyk wrote:I'm really kinda sad that the marathon dropped so much. They went from 24 riders to 11 in less than 12 hours for a 36 hour marathon. Why even bother signing up if you're not gonna try?

GO CAESAR!

Heard from a lot of people that many wanted to keep trying but the heat was such a huge problem and if they even got off to apply sun screen or get water they'd automatically get disquallified. Plus, most people were trying but the rules were really strict, you had to come back on time from breaks and 5 people who were just 30 seconds late got disqualified, so it wasn't for lack of "trying" :roll: You could only get up during breaks as well and they were only 15 mins, so there's more truth that what you believe.

You had to be back from breaks on time?!? What kind of crazy rule is that? And no getting up when not on break? It's almost as if they are trying to make them ride continuously during an event where they signed up to continuously ride...

GO CAESAR!

PreviousNext