TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm no fast pass expert, but i've seen fast passers come in on both sides. but, i can't remember if both sides were operating at the time. but i have definitely seen them on both sides before.

i never knew they closed drop of doom for wind. i've been up there when it's been pretty dang windy before.

So I don't know if anybody has given this any thought on Iron Colossus, but how about RMC combining both tracks together with the first circuit being a normal lift and the second being a launch? Maybe changing up the ride experience and elements for both tracks? I saw somebody pitch that idea on one of them stupid Save Colossus Facebook pages. That would give them the longest coaster record and both sides would have different ride experiences.

So I don't know if anybody has given this any thought on Iron Colossus, but how about RMC combining both tracks together with the first circuit being a normal lift and the second being a launch? Maybe changing up the ride experience and elements for both tracks?

There have been tons of ideas like this mentioned in this thread. I think the realistic outcome would be a racing RMC overlay with new elements added, or possibly the two tracks combined for a long RMC ride!

First time attending Magic Mountain last week and had an awesome time. Went on Tuesday August 5th. Every coaster was operating with full capacity and ride ops were very efficient. Made for an even better day because of people always talking bad about Magic Mountain.I also did have a gold flash pass, so that helped out. Snooks and I kicked it!!
That's what we try to do, push expectations down so low it's more difficult to be disappointed

Yeah, we were kickin' it in California. We cheered on the Colossus marathoners while we were there too. And got two solid flips on GL (ugh). The only things we didn't get on was the left side of S:EFK (it was only open for a few hours in the afternoon), LL:DOD (closed for high winds by the time we made it over there), and Jet Stream (didn't get around to it). Also, I was too fat for the new kiddie coaster (I'll try again sometime).

Even with Flashpass we stayed pretty busy getting Joe all his credits. Without it I doubt we could've gotten on everything (maybe just barely, if we hadn't left the park for lunch and if we'd abused single rider lines)

Question: can you use the Flashpass to ride the left side of S:EFK, or do they only use it on the right side? We'd planned on trying to use for the left but it'd closed again by then so we just did a second ride on the right.

They do have flash pass capability on both sides, but its possible they may have only been running it on one. There's a flash pass door on the side of each building but it's easy to miss if you don't know where to look for it. I'm surprised they were even running both sides of SEFK at all on a Tuesday, that usually only happens on Saturdays and Holidays/Event Days.

First time attending Magic Mountain last week and had an awesome time. Went on Tuesday August 5th. Every coaster was operating with full capacity and ride ops were very efficient. Made for an even better day because of people always talking bad about Magic Mountain.I also did have a gold flash pass, so that helped out. Snooks and I kicked it!!

On a Tuesday...when their coasters haven't run at full capacity in many years. Sounds legit!

^ Obviously what he means by "full capacity" is that there weren't any coasters lengthening their queue by running less trains than necessary. Actually we know that can't be true because Ninja only has one train, but it's likely that there just weren't many people queuing for it that day.

On a Tuesday...when their coasters haven't run at full capacity in many years. Sounds legit!

Ha!

So I don't know if anybody has given this any thought on Iron Colossus, but how about RMC combining both tracks together with the first circuit being a normal lift and the second being a launch? Maybe changing up the ride experience and elements for both tracks?

There have been tons of ideas like this mentioned in this thread. I think the realistic outcome would be a racing RMC overlay with new elements added, or possibly the two tracks combined for a long RMC ride!

Also if Six Flags did have two separate tracks, what is the liklihood one would be closed most of the time?

Do we have anyone going on the Colossus last day who can text us photos from the park? We have some really cool Six Flags Magic Mountain wall maps from the Shapiro days that we will give away to people who send us good photos! Drop me a PM and let me know if you'll be at the park on Saturday!

Edited by robbalvey

No it's legit. I was also there on the 5th. Tatsu was running both sides of the station. The only ride that was only running one train while I was there besides Ninja was Scream. Being it was my first time there I'm not sure how a normal Tuesday crowd looks, but the parking lot was packed at 2pm from what I saw from the top of Drop of Doom.

^ Full capacity means as many trains as the coaster's circuit can handle at once. Many coasters at SFMM don't even have that many operable trains. Except for Green Lantern I don't think any coaster has more than 2 working trains. Ninja currently only has one.

If the lot was full all the way to Scream and they were running Tatsu's 2nd station (Are you sure they were using both at once, not just the side you arent used to? They use both stations throughout the year, just rarely both at once) and both sides of SEFK at once then that was definitely not a normal Tuesday, there must have been an event going on making the park busier than usual.

When I went to the park on the 22nd, Tatsu was using both stations. We had a flashpass so they put flashpass users on station 2 and non-flashpass on station 1.

Btw, Flashpass was so worth it! We went nonstop most of the day. The longest wait we had was for Viper and Goliath since they just kind of made us merge in awkwardly with the normal lines at the station. We got the gold flashpass this visit - but when they gave us the pass, the girl made a reservation for goliath for us. So we trekked all the way across the park because our reservation was ready and as soon as we got up to the station - our pass said "not rented, please return." SO ANNOYING. So, we managed to get a free X2 reservation in return. It was my first time riding X2 on this trip as well. Man that coaster made me SCREAM... and I usually laugh on rides!

My poor husband felt ill after Batman towards the end of the day (think it was the combination of nonstop coasters, heat, and dehydration), so I took him back to the RV - only to find out the rest of my group got in line for Full Throttle without me! So, even though I kept talking about that ride and how much I wanted to ride it, they went without me. And by the time we finally met back up, park was closing. I'm so sad I didn't get to ride. Next time I'm there, I'm going to make a B-line for that ride.

Plus side, I was the only one in my group to brave Lex Luthor. So, my trusty flashpass and I went by our lonesome selves to the ride. OMG, might have been my favorite ride of the day. I loved it!

We skipped out on Full Throttle, Apocalypse, Green Lantern, Riddler, and Ninja. Either too long of a wait or my group went without us lol. Next time though... nnneeeexxxttt time....

To answer a lot of questions at once:

They only have a flash pass person on one side of SEFK even if both sides are open. They always only open with one side so whichever side opens with the park is the one that has flash pass all day. I always choose the side that doesn't have the flash pass person, even if the line is longer, because you will get on faster when you aren't being cut by flash pass!

Also, they run both sides of SEFK on most summer days now.

LLDOD closes for high winds because the cables in the tower fly back and forth in the wind and it causes the computer to malfunction.

Ninja is technically running at full capacity because there aren't any other trains that are operable, so it's not their fault.

Operations have been amazing this summer!

I'll be at the park on Saturday to cover Colossus closing festivities!

Do we have anyone going on the Colossus last day who can text us photos from the park? We have some really cool Six Flags Magic Mountain wall maps from the Shapiro days that we will give away to people who send us good photos! Drop me a PM and let me know if you'll be at the park on Saturday!

I'm sort of planning to go if my friend doesn't bail on me. Figured what the hell, go to ride Colossus one more time. Last time was backwards early this summer, I don't want that to be my last memory, it wasn't a good one.

Coming soon to SFMM, the worlds longest Wild Mouse! It will take up a considerable part of the footprint left behind by Colossus, while leaving enough room for the Mountains next kiddie coaster that will come in 2016! Yay!!! More records for the mountain

^^I subscribed to the newsletter but I didn't get this one. Can you please copy and paste from the article about the Ararat on the 17th? I might take them up in that instead of going the 16th. Thanks!

I was wondering why they were closing it on a Saturday! Now it all makes sense! I kinda guessed.