The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 18 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Too Slow For Comfort

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:07 pm

To be honest, amusement parks are probably one area where you really need a car to make it work -- maybe an exception would be if you're staying with family and can get dropped off. Parks just rarely are close to public transportation, and long Uber rides will kill you. You may even be getting some crazy surge-charges when you're leaving and trying to get picked up. I could see not having a car if your plan is to fly in, stay at the same park the whole trip, and stay at a local hotel, but if you're going to be moving around you probably need a car in some capacity. For one thing -- you generally don't see big parks in downtown parts of major cities where you would see convenient public transit access. For that matter -- the public transit in America outside of a few cities is certainly something to be desired.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Lemur » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:21 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote: For one thing -- you generally don't see big parks in downtown parts of major cities where you would see convenient public transit access. For that matter -- the public transit in America outside of a few cities is certainly something to be desired.

Irony being that the amusement business in the US was, at one time, centered on "trolley parks" as a way to get people out of the cities and riding public transportation for reasons other than commuting to work. And then the car became the big thing post World War II and it effectively killed off the sprawling public transportation system that was in place. And now, for the most part, the trolley parks have gone the way of the trolley too. If they have held on, there's not much public transit running to them (the obvious exceptions being Coney and Lakeside - which is moving).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:To be honest, amusement parks are probably one area where you really need a car to make it work -- maybe an exception would be if you're staying with family and can get dropped off. Parks just rarely are close to public transportation, and long Uber rides will kill you. You may even be getting some crazy surge-charges when you're leaving and trying to get picked up. I could see not having a car if your plan is to fly in, stay at the same park the whole trip, and stay at a local hotel, but if you're going to be moving around you probably need a car in some capacity. For one thing -- you generally don't see big parks in downtown parts of major cities where you would see convenient public transit access. For that matter -- the public transit in America outside of a few cities is certainly something to be desired.

I was so spoiled by Europe and Japan in this regard. You can basically access any park via fast and efficient public transit.

When I was in California for a summer, I visited all the major parks using buses and trains with the exception of one and that one was Six Flags Magic Mountain. It would have been a bear to get to without a car. The 3 hours of buses and trains plus the need for a taxi or Uber convinced me to rent a car.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:32 pm

If you really wanted to do it with no car, the combination of metrolink, metro trains, and the metro 460 bus route would work.
Last edited by Jew on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:33 pm.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby tanthonyam » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:40 pm

Well here is proof how insanely busy it was... Me personally, I would have turned around and left. Was there nothing else to do in SOCAL that day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9iWt7aURAc

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby njcoasterguy34 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:15 pm

I've planned a trip to visit SFMM this coming June for my birthday. Since I can't get a refund on my airfare, what is SFMM's rain policy?
Only one word describes Green Lantern: "OW!"

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 pm

West Coast Customs released New concept art for the WCR trains. Notice anything different than the announcement renderings?
FB_IMG_1546494039957.jpg

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby bluestreak » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:47 pm

No comfort collars thank goodness.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:45 am

Jew wrote:If you really wanted to do it with no car, the combination of metrolink, metro trains, and the metro 460 bus route would work.

If I'm at the point where I'd have to take a bus to connect to something else, that's where I give up and just do a car or Uber directly. I put my time in living in Boston for several years taking the T or Ubering, only using my car once every 2-3 weeks or less. Generally, if there's an adequate place to park and I'm not planning on getting stupid drunk, I jut go with the car option.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby scottiemon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:25 am

njcoasterguy34 wrote:I've planned a trip to visit SFMM this coming June for my birthday. Since I can't get a refund on my airfare, what is SFMM's rain policy?

You are more likely to see a unicorn, than it is for it to rain in SoCal in June. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

PreviousNext