The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby daveydo5172 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm

You know, they werent that bad looking for that time...

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby GLund » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:38 pm

EBL wrote:^ I've heard stories of people leaning forward and/or trying to stand up while entering or in the loop itself.

Yeah, there's photos of it too somewhere. I've seen it before. However, I've also seen photos of people doing it even with the OTSR's, so it's still very possible as the restraints on Revolution are very awkward.

I'm guessing even though you can still do it, they installed the OTSR's to sort of discourage the thought of even trying.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:42 pm

daveydo5172 wrote:You know, they werent that bad looking for that time...

I don't think they are bad looking now.

Hopes Magic Mountain gets a used Roller Skater that 36" kids can ride.

Postby cooksta77 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Just posted on SFMM's Facebook page.
Super perks are on the way! Stay tuned for an invitation to SEFK's technical rehearsal just for FB friends. Spread the word.

Sounds exciting. :)
-Cookie
Trying to look smart on the TPR forums since 2008.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Gmaster562 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:40 pm

I think the trains look cool! Those new trains however, are awesome! But the restraints don't look like it will stop the head banging. ^By technical rehearsal, do they mean a test run of the ride or a test run of a pre show?
"I love the loop de loops".

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:30 pm

willthethrill wrote:Ah, well now we have a source-backed, cited, and apparently definitive answer. I guess we can put this one to bed now. :roll:

Yes we can. Unless you have worked in the amusement industry and are familiar with AB850 (the California assembly bill passed that regulates the amusement industry) and the ASTM F.24 standards on ride designs...

But he ( Burkhart ) never said anything of the sort. He said it was Six Flags decision to add the OTSR to Revolution, and that the ride can no longer operate any other way, period. It has nothing to do with any law, and he never even hinted that was the case.

Actually, I believe he cited ASTM standards as the reason why they can't do anything else and said it was a company-wide policy to follow those guidelines.

Which translates to: we don't want to spend the money for train modifications, so we're just going to run with the excuse that "we can't make any changes because we have to operate the ride based on the SOP, and the SOP says OTSR's!" I certainly don't blame them (there are a lot better things that money can go to), but there really is nothing preventing them from doing so if they wanted to.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby coasterguy4 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Superman is gonna be too awesome, but this might mean crazy crowds on SFMM day at WCB. Eh, I guess that's why there are Q-Bots :)
WCB 08.09.10.11.12

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby John Knotts » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Jew wrote:
willthethrill wrote:Ah, well now we have a source-backed, cited, and apparently definitive answer. I guess we can put this one to bed now. :roll:

Yes we can. Unless you have worked in the amusement industry and are familiar with AB850 (the California assembly bill passed that regulates the amusement industry) and the ASTM F.24 standards on ride designs...

But he ( Burkhart ) never said anything of the sort. He said it was Six Flags decision to add the OTSR to Revolution, and that the ride can no longer operate any other way, period. It has nothing to do with any law, and he never even hinted that was the case.

Actually, I believe he cited ASTM standards as the reason why they can't do anything else and said it was a company-wide policy to follow those guidelines.

Which translates to: we don't want to spend the money for train modifications, so we're just going to run with the excuse that "we can't make any changes because we have to operate the ride based on the SOP, and the SOP says OTSR's!" I certainly don't blame them (there are a lot better things that money can go to), but there really is nothing preventing them from doing so if they wanted to.

I guess the point I was making is that this isn't something that's going to change so people just need to deal with it. It doesn't matter whether there is any law on the books or not. The ride ain't changing, ever. So it's been a moot point since...well forever.

I don't blame them either, because the bottom line is no one really cares except enthusiasts. Besides, this notion that Revolution would be so great with just lap bars is probably a myth at this point anyway. The ride remains over-braked and poorly maintained regardless of the restraint system. Sure it would be easier to ride with comfortable restraints, but I doubt ridership would increase enough to warrant the funds spent.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby boywholaughed » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Technical rehearsal? Technical rehearsal?!!! Technical rehearsal?!???!???????????/ Technical rehearsal?!!!!!!!!!????????????

What's that? Test runs? :lmao:
“Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real.” - Tupac Amaru Shakur

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:41 pm

^^I also have to question how much better Revy would be without OTSRs (even though I would love to experience it without them, just for the fun of it). The ride didn't really hurt me, but I found it fairly tame. Still a classic, though.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

PreviousNext