Waldameer Discussion Thread

P. 91 - A Zamperla Looping Discovery announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Waldameer Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 am

Personally I think that drop tower is far more terrifying than most inversions, but that may be just me.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Parc Saint Paul &Lake Compounce

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby _s3_ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:32 pm

A nice little write-up today in the local paper about Waldameer and their "half century of Transformation"

https://www.goerie.com/news/20190217/half-century-of-transformation-at-eries-waldameer

In addition to Chaos for this year, the park is also installing a new "hot tub" / relaxing pool to the new expansion area (between Kidz Zone and the Wave Pool) which has a capacity of 125-people. The capacity is a 3x bump over the old pool which I believe will also operate this year as "overflow" but will be removed in the future.

It has also been announced but not discussed here yet that they are removing their two speed slides (good riddance) and in it's place installing a 6-lane "Rally Racer" slide (same as Whitecap Racer at Hersheypark) for 2020.

A couple of other notes from the article regarding upcoming future expansion (no timetable, other than these are in their new 10-year plan):

• "Lazy/Endless River" to be expanded by at least 50%.
  • "5-person raft ride with a tunnel and a tower"
  • "Automobile ride" to replace the pavilions closest to Comet near train station.
  • Hints at Fall / Halloween operations

As a local who only lives two minutes down the street, I'm excited for their dedication and continuing investment into the park. Definitely one of the bright spots of Erie.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:33 pm

I thought they were rumored to get a new coaster in a few years? Guess not. Me and my wife made our first visit to this park this year. We really liked it. Ravine Flyer is easily in my top 5 wood coasters
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby _s3_ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:44 pm

It's still possible that they add a new coaster in the near future, but they won't tip their caps at that until they are ready to announce it. The second you say "we're adding a coaster" without concrete plans in place, you risk a lot.

Hell, it might seem like a distant memory now but the whole 10-year long fiasco with Ravine Flyer was a mess of a situation (Park getting construction variances and clearances and their battle with the Candelas, which I never understood). Luckily it worked out, but it had so many hurdles and was so drawn out I don't see them saying stuff too early like that again in the future.

I'm still curious what they will do with that hillside behind Rainbow Gardens in the future. They did a lot of land clearing and shaping in that area in the past couple of years.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 am

Oh nice. I like that a lot of their stuff is heated. I went in August and the water was still pretty cold in the non-heated pools. A hot tub would do well here, I think.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby pryonisys » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:49 am

The old little hot tub is always packed, it will be nice to see the upgrade (even though I stay out of public hot tubs and their human soup) The most exciting thing on this list is the expansion of the lazy river, it has always been one of my favorite parts of Water World.
I think there are "plans" for a new coaster but nothing is concrete enough to announce to the public. They have said they would like to add another one eventually, but the issue in the park will always be space, they will have to build on their property heading down toward the lake. They have been working on really improving the water park a lot in the past few years and it is worlds better than it was a decade ago.

My biggest question with Waldameer, over the past few years, has been why Ravine Flyer II uses PTC trains and not Timberliners. Either way I'm glad to hear they are continuing to expand, they didn't expand very quickly when I was a kid.
Last edited by pryonisys on Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 am.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby _s3_ » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 am

^ I completely agree. It's amazing to see the transformation alone in the water park after almost completely neglecting it (upgrades wise) since it's installation.

In terms of the coaster, I know it has to be in their plans. Once ajfelice starts talking at all about it, then we know it'll be close to on it's way :)

The article did state that they do have all of the land they need for their current 10-year plan, but they are not opposed to new land buys if the price is right and it makes sense (quoted Nelson as saying if the price is in range he's "buying it") so that's always good to hear.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:14 am

Please buy out that old trailer park in front of the park that is prime for development
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby _s3_ » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:25 am

I'm sure that is more-or-less the land that was being referred to. I'm sure the park would love that piece of property as it is the only barrier from them owning all of the land from lake/Sara's Campground to West 6th Street.

As of now, this is (as far as I know) the land map of the land they own.
waldameer-land-map-2019.png
Red = Current Developed Park, Yellow = Parking / Roadway, Blue = Undeveloped Owned Land

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:16 pm

So much speculation, l love it.

Expansion plans stretching out 5-10 years are ambitious, but also flexible. Nothing is for certain until pen meets paper on a contract for a new attraction which isn't always far in advance as one may think. What I can say is that Chaos will not be an outlier in thrilling attractions to come for the water park and dry park. The word "roller coaster" is discussed in terms of future larger and smaller possibilities. We definitely want another thrilling coaster, but most importantly we are looking to best serve our families with young children.

I wouldn't put too much speculation into the lakeshore at this time. Recent projects in that area were for drainage expansion to accommodate a giant wave pool. On a positive note, there are some innovative plans to more efficiently use our developed land. Feel free to guess away for that.

As for this...
pryonisys wrote: My biggest question with Waldameer, over the past few years, has been why Ravine Flyer II uses PTC trains and not Timberliners. Either way I'm glad to hear they are continuing to expand, they didn't expand very quickly when I was a kid.

Great question. For now, Ravine Flyer II will run PTCs. Looking back to 2006-2008, Timberliners were still in development, Millennium Flyers were not being fitted onto non-GCI rides yet, and the single-bench PTC would have been a prototype and the risk after a decade of waiting wasn't worth taking. Why don't we just make the switch now? Our current trains have not reached the end of their service life by any means, and the cost of switching would take away greatly from other expansions and improvements. Lastly, a death blow to a season would be extended downtime for Ravine Flyer II if there were teething issues with new trains.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!