Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: Djwadeknox, megan and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby sdcfan88 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 pm

Calling it now, Lightning Rod is the new Son Of Beast. :P

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 am

KarlaKoaster wrote:Even if you break projects down into their component parts (eg, on Lightning Rod, the launch), there are so many contractors involved in the supply chain who will probably all be blaming each other and doing everything they can to not foot the bill.

Unfortunate but from what I understand that sort of thing isn't uncommon. I'm not sure how much Dollywood is in the hole in terms of repair costs for Lightning Rod, but they shouldn't be as all of the necessary parts and work should be warrantied (ex. Rocky Mountain's 5-year warranty on the track system). The loss of business as a result of Lightning Rod's somewhat sporadic operation is probably a lot harder to prove.

sdcfan88 wrote:Calling it now, Lightning Rod is the new Son Of Beast. :P

I'll take "unreliable systems and controls" over "destroying its own super-cheap structure with every cycle" any day of the week.
Last edited by A.J. on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:26 am.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TEDodd » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:34 am

sdcfan88 wrote:Calling it now, Lightning Rod is the new Son Of Beast. :P
Pretty sure someone did that already, back in 2016.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am

Cool inside info on Veterans/Dollywood Ln and Middle Creek Rd, dsteph9 and TEDodd. Thanks for chiming in regarding that! We have stayed at a cabin about a mile down from the Middle Creek entrance there and I wondered where exactly it would take you if you turned in there. It says something about DW Service Entrance and figured it was something for employees so they wouldn't have to deal with the occasionally awful traffic on Veterans.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am

Thing about the employee entrance is, it used to be the old main entrance to Dollywood before they rerouted everything ( I think was a few years after splash country) but I remember going through that entrance as a kid with its shaded/tunnel like feel and trying to see beyond the fences as I heard the train and screams from river rampage. Ahhh...memories haha
I’ve actually been back that way to watch Lightning Rod myself. You can get some good photo op moments back there.

Postby TEDodd » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:53 am

Dollywoodlover20 wrote:I remember going through that entrance as a kid with its shaded/tunnel like feel and trying to see beyond the fences as I heard the train and screams from river rampage.

I recall that from the late 80's too.

I think Veterans was just 2 lanes back then.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby neilnky » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:35 pm

Yes I remember one of my earliest visits way back in the 80's and it just seemed it took forever to get to Dollywood and it was in the middle of nowhere. My how things have changed lol

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:31 pm

[quote="Dollywoodlover20"]I’ve actually been back that way to watch Lightning Rod myself. You can get some good photo op moments back there.[/quote
I can't imagine that as the old entrance! I expected that there would be a gate or something in there so normal folks couldn't get back too far. Sounds like I could go back there a ways though for some good ride views?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:56 pm

I know the pot hole is at the bottom of the drop, but is that also right where spot where there's the opening for the road to pass underneath the coaster?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

Postby TEDodd » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:I know the pot hole is at the bottom of the drop, but is that also right where spot where there's the opening for the road to pass underneath the coaster?
The road passes under the area before the launch starts up the hill.
Aerial photos on maps show it well.

I don't remember anything under it at the bottom of the big drop. The track there goes under the track that goes to the triple (quad?) down.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!