TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair buys PARAMOUNT PARKS!

Kinzel also had to keep shooting down people bringing this up in the conference call. PKI and CP do not compete! They're a good 4 hours away from each other. That would be like saying Six Flags over Texas competes against Six Flags Fiesta Texas. It doesn't happen. CP's top three markets are: Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo. PKI's are: Cincy, Columbus and Indianapolis. While they do slightly overlap in Columbus, Dayton and Indy, it is not enough to qualify them as competing parks.

I disagree on the PKI/CP competing thing. I live in Columbus, and both PKI and CP are about 2 hours away. Everyone I know, if given the choice to go to PKI or CP will choose CP hands down, with no hesitation. Overall, I guess I am on the fence about this whole thing. While I think it would be cool to have a "super season pass," I also see a similar thing happening with the CP/GL passes, meaning you can get a CP or GL pass, but will have to pay extra to go to the other park. I can't imagine what the up-charge will be when there is virtually no more competition for Cedar Fair parks in Ohio.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-There are 939 acres of undeveloped land between the Paramount Parks that can be used for expansion (80 acres at Canada's Wonderland and several hundred at Kings Island; no specifics given on the other 3 parks)

There are 80 acres of undeveloped land at Canada's Wonderland? Where?

I think it's great move. I've been to all of the Cedar Fair owned parks (with the exception of 4 water parks), each of them are great, clean, fun and professional parks. The staff especailly at CP, DP & KBF are friendly. Not to mention the Cedar Fair's parks house some of the best coasters around. For the most part, as far as condition goes, their coasters seem to always look brand-new when I visit. I think the Paramount parks can gain alot under Cedar Fairs ownership.

For those opposed to this news, nothing you can do, the ink is dry.

I could give 2 turds what drink product they have...I do not go to a park to drink soda besides water is free.

I personally think that PKD and PKI will receive Hypers within the next 5 years cause they are easily the 2 biggest parks that have the space and no ordinance hassle that do not have hypers already.

I believe that CF will actually do something with the massive land that PKD and PKI have.

PKD has not had a major coaster since Volcano (1998) (Hypersonic really does not count to me) I just want a coaster with Capacity and a chainlift.

I am having a hard time trying to find a negative here (except the re-ride policy)....but I could be proven wrong over time.

JEFF

I am sad about this. I worked at Six Flags WoA for a few years before it was bought by Cedar Fair. I was excited at first, but once I worked at Geauga Lake I was sooo disappointed. I didn't like working for Cedar Fair as much as Six Flags, I have worked at GL and CP, and I have also worked at WoA and Great Adventure. I think generally a lot of other people were disappointed too. Guests would come and ask where Sea World was, and get upset when they were told there wasn't one anymore. I don't think Cedar Fair anticipated that either. I just hope they don't mess things up. While I love Cedar Point and I enjoyed Dorney Park too, I don't want to see Snoopy every where I go. I also don't think that since PKI was doing so well that it will do just as good under Cedar Fair, lots of the local people will probably be angry. I'm still mad about them taking away my WoA.

I think it's a good move. I have always had great experiences at CF parks. Then there's the season pass thing - if they get this going for next season I'll be even happier to go to CoasterCon.

I've been wondering for a while what they will do with IJ:ST, IJ:ST, and IJ:TC when the time comes.

One thing I noticed from the conference call was that Kinzel mentioned that any 2007 plans the Paramount Parks have will be honored through Cedar Fair. Funny, because Kinzel said the exact same thing when they purchased Michigan's Adventure... none of those plans were honored, none.

But other than that, I'm fanatical about this. It's great, because now that lovely season pass I've been getting for the past six years is now going to be good all over the place.

I can't WAIT to hear more about this.

I'm kinda inbetween here, too. I mean, I haven't been to any CF parks, but from the pictures, they seem to be very generic while Paramount's seem to have a bit more diversity to them.

About the hyper, I highly doubt they'll be adding a morgan hyper now after Valley Fair's incident! But they could add an intamin.

Only time will tell!

One thing I noticed from the conference call was that Kinzel mentioned that any 2007 plans the Paramount Parks have will be honored through Cedar Fair. Funny, because Kinzel said the exact same thing when they purchased Michigan's Adventure... none of those plans were honored, none.

Shivering Timbers was honored..

Also, I hope that CF doesn't cement and trashcan the heck out of these parks. Everytime I go to Knotts, it always dissapoints me that they cement everything up, instead of having the lake where the lake was intended to be, or having grass in an area where grass could be... but no.. Knotts would rather have cement, and its very, very ugly.

Well, I'm gonna go on record as saying this is a great deal for CF. Everyone is quick to point out that CF now owns Ohio, but I think this is actually more about PKD than PKI or any of the others. If I read Jonathan's post correctly, that said 500 acres to develop at PKD!? 500! In my opinion, PKD has now just moved up behind CP as the #2 property in their folder, and here's my uneducated reasoning for why.

With the acquisition of PKD, CF is now officially coast to coast (at least towards the south now). In that area alone, you have three huge players now...CF (PKD), Busch (BGE), and SF (SFA). From all indications and speculation, Busch is primed to unveil the newest dive machine next year, which will boost attendance considerably; SFA was supposedly looked at favorably by Shapiro, mostly due to its potential, and PKD is already an excellent park as is. Throw in the reported 500 acres to work with, and they are in perfect position to become the top draw in the region.

People love to talk about (well, mostly argue) about their flagship park (CP) being landlocked.....well, now they have a potential CP #2. PKD already has a decent lineup of rides...so why not use some of that land to create some on-site accomodations like CP has? Actually, they can do whatever they want with the place when the money is available to do so....that's my point in a nutshell. Argue all that later.

I know a lot of folks feel that CF rips the character out of the places they purchase, but I somehow think this situation will be slighty different. Hey, at least CF has the ability to make this kind of purchase, continue building quality coasters (Silver Bullet, Hydra, Patriot) AND lower admission to CP all at once. Yep, you won't see Busch, Disney or SF lowering prices any time soon, I bet. So I can't see why they'd purchase all these parks without the intent to develop each one further.

And one more thing. To those who jumped out of their seats ready to claim the beemers mentioned are "forceless" and boring.....I say two things. First, regardless of how you feel, it's always a good move for a park to purchase a B&M. And second, send one to Lake Winnie if you all hate 'em so much....I could use one fifteen minutes from home. [/i]

If I were Cedar Fair, the first Paramount Park i'd take a serious look at is Carowinds in Charlotte, NC. This park has an aging coaster collection that needs serious refurbishing/replacement. Cyclone isn't exciting and is aging horribly and the 13 year old Hurler is a headbanging nightmare, and it's been that way for quite a while.

The park itself is getting to be very boring. Get there, ride Top Gun, ride the Borg, Thunder road, then leave. I'm not saying build a 300ft Gigacoaster, but some nice flats would be nice and maybe a coaster down the road providing that the park is turning a profit.

-"Most experts feel The Beast is the best wooden coaster in the United States"

Is that a joke? Who are these experts and when was the last time they rode? Was it on one of those motion simulators?

That's because they got into a very ugly battle with the local government over water/sewer (if I remember correctly). That dispute has been resolved and CF is putting in it's first major additions. You can't totally blame them for that. Michigan's Adventure didn't have any expansion contracts signed with a ride manufacturer (even though most people bought into rumors of such) before Cedar Fair bought them...so they had nothing to honor anyways. They key word here is contract. If the park had a major ride contracted already (which none do according to Kinzel), they would've honored it. Contracts and plans are completely different...because contracts are legally binding.

OMG! Its only a matter of time before they take ove Georgia! Run everybody RUN!

I know view Cedar Fair as an Empire (like I saw another person say).... Its only a matter of time before it falls...... Again. Run everybody RUN!... but who will take over after they are gone?.... *cough* wild adventures INC. *cough* (or whatever they call it)

Whoah, that is totally a surprise - though Iguess there were rumours. Kings Island and Canada's Wonderland had higher attendances than Cedar Point last year so I guess it's a good move. Will be interesting to see what they add to the parks in the next few years. I don't Intamin or B & M will be laying off staff in the next few years.