TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

She's complete and she's beautiful!!!!! Testing should happen any day now.

EDIT: Sory I meant to merge the two posts together but somehow I double posted. Ugh

Let´s hope Dollywood can pull a miracle. It was supposed to be testing almost a month ago, so they are far behind schedule. And with it being technology RMC has never encountered before, I suspect it will open late. But who knows...

She's complete and she's beautiful!!!!! Testing should happen any day now.

EDIT: Sory I meant to merge the two posts together but somehow I double posted. Ugh

Let´s hope Dollywood can pull a miracle. It was supposed to be testing almost a month ago, so they are far behind schedule. And with it being technology RMC has never encountered before, I suspect it will open late. But who knows...

That's untrue, you don't know when they were "supposed to be testing".

I'm still not worried.

Same here. This isn't like some projects where they hadn't done any other station/electrical prep when the track was completed, so I wouldn't be surprised if testing starts before the weekend. If they want to transition from testing to operating quickly, they'll make it happen one way or another.

I'm guessing they will walk on water to get it ready as advertised. My other uneducated guess is the first month or so will be tempermental for the ride until they tweak it inbetween early-season operating days.

As I said, that's just my completely uneducated guess...

The thing that's made it hard for RMC is Dollywoods terrain, because until now they've worked with mainly parking lots. But Danny Robbins knows when they're going to test, they have a set date, he just isn't allowed to speak on it. I'm curious as to the "special" way they're going to show it testing. I know with Wild Eagle we got a video from a cellphone that was very pixelated.

The thing that's made it hard for RMC is Dollywoods terrain, because until now they've worked with mainly parking lots.

I dont think the terrain has had anything to do with it. I mean.... Have you heard of (or seen) Outlaw Run, and/or Wildfire??

Regarding "New" technology that some say can slow the opening of this coaster...

1. Velocity Magnetics who designed this launch is a tried and proven company when it comes to magnetics and rides whether it be launching or braking.

2. The rest of the coaster is just tried and proven topper track by RMC.

With magnetic fins already on these trains, all you have to do is check alignment and make some braking and speed adjustments as needed during testing.

^ So by that token you're already contradicting yourself or you've got horrific time management skills. Valentines Day was 2 weeks ago, not a month..

That's why I said the word "almost" before it, meaning it has not reached that timespan yet, but it will in the near future.

1. Velocity Magnetics who designed this launch is a tried and proven company when it comes to magnetics and rides whether it be launching or braking.

Actually, did Velocity Magnetics ever made a launch, before? I only find infos about brakes on their *cough* not really up-to-date *cough* website.

^ So by that token you're already contradicting yourself or you've got horrific time management skills. Valentines Day was 2 weeks ago, not a month..

That's why I said the word "almost" before it, meaning it has not reached that timespan yet, but it will in the near future.

You have now drawn attention to the fact that you don't know what "almost" means.

I'm more worried I won't be able to get down there now more than I'm worried that Lightning Rod won't be open on time....oh I-75 you goober

I am so glad I am coming from the south and don't have to worry. I highly suggest you just take whatever major route isn't too out of the way, but avoid the actual detours on 75. I can't imagine that 26 and 33 mile back road detour will be quick. The backup will probably be endless.

You have now drawn attention to the fact that you don't know what "almost" means.

Yeah, I mean, I'm almost 60 years old. In about 29 years.

The thing that's made it hard for RMC is Dollywoods terrain, because until now they've worked with mainly parking lots.

What? Their first ever solo coaster (ground-up) was Outlaw Run, built on the side of a mountain. There's also Iron Rattler, built on the side of a cliff.

This thread is becoming very confusing. Here's my final statement on this issue:

I don't believe this roller coaster will open on time, as it appears to be off schedule. But I'm hoping it opens on schedule, and if it does, that will be GREAT!

We see no reason to decide anything now. All we know is that we're riding coasters that weekend. It might be at Dollywood, it might be at BGW but we're prepared to wait until the day before opening day to make a decision if we have to based on Lightning rod. I'm cautiously optimistic but if it's not open I'll be perfectly content riding awesome B&M's and drinking American piss beer in Williamsburg.

For those worried about hearing banjos on the detours from I-75 if you are north of Corbin, KY and take 25E through Cumberland Gap and get on I-81 at Morristown, TN then that road is all four lane and isn't a bad drive at all. If you are south of Corbin then I am not sure about those roads.

I posted a couple of pages back, but just to make it clear...

If you are coming down I-75 South through Campbell County for opening weekend, you should be fine as both Southbound Lanes are required to be open by March 16th. There is optimism that they could be open sooner but it depends on how long it takes the contractor to remove all of the unstable rocks from the slope.

For the return trip north, you will have to use the detours; as it will likely not be until March 23rd before we will be able open one lane in the Northbound direction. I will keep this thread updated if these dates change.

Edited by ernierocker

This thread is becoming very confusing. Here's my final statement on this issue:

I don't believe this roller coaster will open on time, as it appears to be off schedule. But I'm hoping it opens on schedule, and if it does, that will be GREAT!

I'd have to agree here. But I'm hoping it opens very quickly after the park does. I'll be there for 4 days with friends the weekend following opening day and will be pretty chaffed if its still closed. Luckily I return for a 3 day weekend 3 weeks later and there's no excuse for it to not be open by then.