TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

$300 million in 10 years is just a ridiculous amount of money for this park. You can build a pretty big park from the ground up with that kind of money. I am unbelievably excited to hear this news. They are going to turn DW into a national destination. It's going to be on the level of Europa park.

The new coaster sounds neat as well. Not sure what to say about it without any good concept art, but I'm sure it will be lovely.

I do think DW is playing with fire with that video though. I could defiantly see someone raising a ruckus over them seemingly comparing being a firefighter to riding a roller coaster. I get that they're trying to honor fire fighters, but there's a fine line between doing that and exploiting emotion for advertising purposes. I am sure the actual implementation will be tasteful. The chain has been on a streak of honoring heroes lately, with the monument they recently erected outside of Outlaw Run.

I think the Firechaser Express is a perfect fit for the park; a great coaster ride in between Blazing Fury and Thunderhead. I was expecting a launched mine train coaster of some kind and the thought they put into it was well done. It is tough to say with the limited information so far, but I would anticipate this as being on the same type of excitement level as Pony Express at Knott's, only executed much better and with more extensive theming. I was surprised that this was not a coaster similar to SDC's Powder Keg, but I know there have been issues with that ride in the past as far as some down time, and I have not seen S&S doing any more US launch coasters, plus, there is the park's rapport with Gerstlauer and the fact that this will have a 39" height requirement. I also thought it was cool that they gave the tip of the hat to the park's old mine train, Thunder Express, in the naming and theme. I am anxious to see how they plan to run three trains on this; I assume there will be some kind of "switch track".

With $300 Million of investments, I feel sure that in a few years Dollywood will receive at least one more "big" coaster on the scale of Wild Eagle or Thunderhead, and hopefully their own take on Outlaw Run in an RMC coaster! Maybe even a terrain based B&M hyper...who knows. But all of the things announced today make what I feel to be a five star park have an even brighter future.

I am actually more excited for the resort than the coaster; I loved staying at the Knott's Hotel right next to the park and how it makes the entire place a destination where you can just walk over to the park. Very good decision, and one I thought they really needed, although I hope they do not get into the whole timeshare thing.

Once again, they continue to do things right.

I do think DW is playing with fire with that video though. I could defiantly see someone raising a ruckus over them seemingly comparing being a firefighter to riding a roller coaster. I get that they're trying to honor fire fighters, but there's a fine line between doing that and exploiting emotion for advertising purposes. I am sure the actual implementation will be tasteful. The chain has been on a streak of honoring heroes lately, with the monument they recently erected outside of Outlaw Run.

You're giving Dollywood's general clientele way too much credit there. Let's be honest, waving the stars and stripes, building monuments to heroes, and playing Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be a 'Murican" is the only recipe you need to succeed in the south....and the sappier the better. Yeah, the video was over-dramatically lame, but that's the point.

^I guess so. I mean, I definitely get where they are coming from, but I just naturally expect people to raise a hubub over everything these days.

Looks like its going to be a neat coaster! Some solid theming and it should be awesome! I saw a Dollywood FB picture that said, "Explore the first two phases of our exciting 10 year plan!" Does this mean more coasters and flats to come soon?

Yes, they said at the event that the 300 Million is being spent over a 10 year plan with a lot of "Major attractions, rides, and shows" coming. He even specifically said that our guest want bigger attractions and we are going to give it to them.

This is the most exciting thing I've read yet. I've been saying all along how much I'm pining to see HFEC get into slightly bigger attractions than the general cookie cutter, turn-key attractions that all the parks get. Wild Eagle seemed to be a little bland for them, though it is certainly a good attraction for the park in it's own right. Mystery Mine seemed to be a great step in the direction of a "bigger experience", even if it could have turned out smoother. I can't wait to see them hit it out of the park with the next major ride.

Is there a similar trick track on any other coasters?

The stats sheet said ""trick track" section twists side to side" is that a first or is it something I have just never seen or heard of before?

Trick tracking is basically banking the track from one side to the other and back again. It's usually found on wooden coasters, for example Shivering Timbers at Michigan's Adventure has a "trick track section"

^Because Powder Keg and Wild Train are also considered as Family Coaster...

My girlfriend is petrified of bigger roller-coasters and even the mummy was too much for her, the dragon roller-coaster at Universal Studios was more for her when we visited singapore, though i'm sure if we had a child, she'd love a roller-coaster we could all do together and that would be our kind of family coaster. A ride such as powder keg I think would be too much for her, but considering the low launch speeds, I think this would be a perfect introduction coaster for children once they meet the height requirements for a variety of things that will be done bigger or faster on later coasters in their lives: launches, backwards sections, air time (at least I assume that is the meaning of the zero gravity mentions), trick track etc etc and I feel that's what dollywood is aiming for.

Edited by Garet

I think it's a sensible move after building a big ride like Wild Eagle (and removing Adventure Mountain--which was a shame). If they follow through on the theming suggested by the ride's backstory, it should be a lot of fun, and it'll be tough to beat the ride's setting.

Yup, so basically both fund it. The Dolly Division of the company is called "the Dollywood Company" and it is a joint between dolly and hershend.

Herschend is still the parent company (For a lack of a different term) but the division called "The Dollywood Company" oversees the properties that Dolly Co-Owns with Herschend (Dollywood, Dixi Stampede, Splash Country and now Dreammore)

I was thinking about it, and Dollywood is almost a perfect theme park. So much thought goes into EVERY attraction, where they're placed, how they're themed. The whole vibe of the place is amazing, and I'm sure these new additions to the park will help boost it into a whole new level of theme park. Definitely a place to visit! I can't wait to go back and see this park again!

Me too! I have not been back since 2002 and I have been wanting to go back so bad! So many new addition I want to do since I've been there, and I think 2015 will be the best time for me to go again, so I can stay in the Resort!

So if the resort is adjacent to Splash Country I guessing it will be on the plot of land just north of Splash Country between Jayell and McCarter Hollow roads? It will be interesting to see what kind of ticket packages and transportation options are available.

Also, I just joined the "Founders Club" on the resort webpage and it had a place where you could select your interests and and golf was one of the options. I wonder if the resort has plans to partner with courses in the area or maybe even eventually build their own course on site?

That would be cool if they offer a package deal with golf, lodging and park tickets.

I wonder if they would partner with the Gatlinburg Golf Course right down the street? We played there during our last visit and had a great time. I'll never forget the 'Ski Hi' par 3 that drops down 200 feet off the edge of a cliff!

Oh, and the coaster looks pretty cool too...great addition for the park.

So if the resort is adjacent to Splash Country I guessing it will be on the plot of land just north of Splash Country between Jayell and McCarter Hollow roads? It will be interesting to see what kind of ticket packages and transportation options are available.

Also, I just joined the "Founders Club" on the resort webpage and it had a place where you could select your interests and and golf was one of the options. I wonder if the resort has plans to partner with courses in the area or maybe even eventually build their own course on site?

I joined the Founders Club too! I'm really looking forward to the perks, and especially the discounts!

^ And I also think in several years they will add a year round indoor water park to the Resort. There is so much potential with the addition of the Resort, and I'm very excited to watch its growth.

they almost have to have the indoor water park to compete during the winter in my honest opinion. Wilderness at the Smokies is probably the busiest resort I have seen during the winter and that is only bc of the great deals they offer during the off season. You can't beat $99/Night and I only paid $10/extra person this winter for a stay at wilderness plus unlimited access to their water park. I paid less than $130 with tax for one night and enough vouchers for two days in their waterpark for two this winter.. Dollywood will need something to compete with that. I have received deals like this at wilderness every winter since they opened.

Now Dollywood may fill their resort during the winter using different methods but I really hope for an indoor water park at some time.

On the other hand Dollywood may not think there is need for another indoor water park in town

I highly doubt that they do not put one in. It would be too good for business. It will keep customers coming year round. It will give families something do do together if their vacation gets rained on. And it will give Families somewhere to send their children while they enjoy the Spa (being that lifegaurds are on duty at these types of establishments). There are far too few reasons not to build one. I'm sure we will see it in 3 to 5 years.