TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Random lurker, never post.

But I have a thought that could be a good idea, even tho im sure its not a possibility.

But since The building of Blazing Fury is near the new site, and the name of the ride is "Firechaser Express," is anyone else hoping for an updated Fury? They could keep the structure of the building and make it like an indoor/outdoor launcher, similar to verboltens concept. This would bring new charm to dollywood, and add on to their family friendly lineup

Really, really excited to see this thing. I do expect it to be more family-oriented though, I hope most of the enthusiast crowd isn't expecting a thrill coaster. A solid family coaster is so good for the front gate, I don't understand why more parks don't focus on them actually.

I don't understand why so many people are wanting to see BF changed though. BF and FITH are some of my favorite amusement rides ever. They come from an age before modern cookie-cutter rides when the designers were being extremely innovative for their time and creating a full experience rather than a set of track gimmicks. All these years later, while they aren't as shiny or innovative anymore they remain unique and fun experiences. I could see some improvements being made, even a new ride system, but anything that destroys the old-school nature of the ride would be a real downer. Just my take on the subject.

Really, really excited to see this thing. I do expect it to be more family-oriented though, I hope most of the enthusiast crowd isn't expecting a thrill coaster. A solid family coaster is so good for the front gate, I don't understand why more parks don't focus on them actually.

I don't understand why so many people are wanting to see BF changed though. BF and FITH are some of my favorite amusement rides ever. They come from an age before modern cookie-cutter rides when the designers were being extremely innovative for their time and creating a full experience rather than a set of track gimmicks. All these years later, while they aren't as shiny or innovative anymore they remain unique and fun experiences. I could see some improvements being made, even a new ride system, but anything that destroys the old-school nature of the ride would be a real downer. Just my take on the subject.

I concur. BF and FITH are very special rides, and they do not need to be changed, or redone. Keep some history alive and enjoy these two special rides, and hope they are around for years to come!

^ so...similarly....Florida isn't in the South?

I honestly consider it a different region of the country for cultural reasons. For example, even though California is in the southwest of the country I don't associate it with the southwest for cultural reasons. Parts of it line up with the Tex-Mex culture and aesthetics associated with other Southwestern states (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas) but I've always considered California its own separate region, and I feel like others do the same. In Florida, true, the panhandle does line up with the culture of deep southern states (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, ect.) but I consider the actual peninsula a different part of the country because once you leave the panhandle it gets different. That's just me though. It's well away from the southern amusement industry but it could still count.

Maybe we could be looking at a unique element too? I can't think of anything unique that isn't an inversion and is family-friendly but I could (and am hopefully) wrong. Some of these firsts have been slightly insignificant. T-head being the first station fly-through, for example. I bet it's nothing bigger than that.

It'll be marketed as the First Launcher in the Smokey Mountains. Argument settled. You're welcome.

Was thinking that too. I'm aware Florida is geographically southeast, it just seems like its industry is so cut off that they could almost be discussed separately.

Another crazy thought I had; what if this has one of those projection tunnels that Manta has? It could be like you're going through a forest and then all of a sudden the forest catches fire and launches you?

Well it looks like we may have the name for the resort now... "Dollywood's DreamMore Resort"

The Dollywood Company Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation filed for it August 16, 2013.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:ka3n0w.2.1

So does this mean...

2014: Firechaser Express... dual launch coaster

2015: Dollywood's DreamMore Resort

???

We'll know in less than 3 hours!

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/aug/21/dolly-parton-tells-today-show-shes-investing-300m/

Following the opening of the Wild Eagle steel wing coaster in 2012 and Splash Country’s water coaster RiverRush this year, Parton also highlighted plans for a new attraction, the FireChaser Express, set to open in March 2014 where Adventure Mountain used to be located.

The company said it will be the nation’s first dual-launch family coaster that launches twice, traveling forward and backward on a winding 2,427-foot track. It will catapult from zero to 16 mph in just 1.1 second going forward and then launch backward from zero to 20 mph in 2 seconds.

The FireChaser Express is meant to celebrate the volunteer-based fire departments of the 1940s who protected the neighboring Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Located 12 stories above the park’s Wilderness Pass area Express, the coaster will feature three 14-passenger trains with an hourly capacity of 750 riders. The 39-inch minimum height requirement allows many 4-year-olds to ride.

“FireChaser Express is truly special to me because families can ride this coaster together,” Parton said in the news release.

Sounds like a shuttle coaster.?..?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/aug/21/dolly-parton-tells-today-show-shes-investing-300m/

Following the opening of the Wild Eagle steel wing coaster in 2012 and Splash Country’s water coaster RiverRush this year, Parton also highlighted plans for a new attraction, the FireChaser Express, set to open in March 2014 where Adventure Mountain used to be located.

The company said it will be the nation’s first dual-launch family coaster that launches twice, traveling forward and backward on a winding 2,427-foot track. It will catapult from zero to 16 mph in just 1.1 second going forward and then launch backward from zero to 20 mph in 2 seconds.

The FireChaser Express is meant to celebrate the volunteer-based fire departments of the 1940s who protected the neighboring Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Located 12 stories above the park’s Wilderness Pass area Express, the coaster will feature three 14-passenger trains with an hourly capacity of 750 riders. The 39-inch minimum height requirement allows many 4-year-olds to ride.

“FireChaser Express is truly special to me because families can ride this coaster together,” Parton said in the news release.

Sounds like a shuttle coaster.?..?

16mph? Is that a typo....!!!!!!!!

Actually you know what. I don't care. I was hoping it would be at least 2,500 feet and it pretty much is. This is still very exciting and I can't wait to watch the announcement.