TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Was at Dollywood today... Beautiful day up until the last two hours or so when rain moved in. Park was dead! Walkon for all the coasters. The African show was really wonderful, especially if you dig Cirque du Soleil type shows. Highly recommended.

For one thing, Thunderhead is just atrocious anymore. The park seriously needs to dump some money to get it fully re-tracked. Not just sectional track work. It is nearly as bad or worse than the Son of Beast rides I had prior to all the modifications. It's downright brutal, and I have high tolerance for tougher wood coasters.

Sad, because it used to be a top woodie for me. Really needs some TLC.

Dolly was supposed to be in the parade today at the park, but cancelled last minute I guess (scared it would rain perhaps?$. The "parade" ended up being a few groups of performers, lasting about 30 seconds or so. Everybody looked at each other with "wtf" faces lol

For one thing, Thunderhead is just atrocious anymore. The park seriously needs to dump some money to get it fully re-tracked. Not just sectional track work. It is nearly as bad or worse than the Son of Beast rides I had prior to all the modifications. It's downright brutal, and I have high tolerance for tougher wood coasters.

Pretty bold statement, sir.

I freaking love Thunderhead! I have never once found it to be overbearingly rough. Sure it jostles you a bit, but that coaster is still non-stop fun. It's not too intense, but it rides really fast and and takes the elements at a rapid pace. In my opinion it's the best GCI I've ridden.

First off, I truly wish RMC and Dollywood the best of luck in getting LR up and running as quickly as they can.

And I certainly get what Robb is saying (and quoting several times ), but the notion that you're foolish for planning a long trip there without waiting until the ride officially opens seems a bit much. I'd love to have that luxury, but I know for us that's just not how it works. My wife has VERY limited vacation, so we need to plan in advance somewhat....we chose Dollywood as our vacation spot for this year, partially due to LR. We picked a holiday weekend (Memorial Day) to give us more time there. I gave as much "buffer" as I could. It may be open....but we realize there's now a chance that LR will be sitting idle.

We've never been there, so we will certainly have a BLAST regardless!! But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a little disappointed if LR sits closed when for us it could be many years before we return. I'm still VERY excited to visit Dollywood, but I also can sympathize with those who are bummed that the new RMC hotness might not be ready for their trip. I don't think it makes them necessarily whiny enthusiasts or bad planners.

Anyway, here's wishing everyone good luck with trips there in April, May, and beyond! May you get to enjoy zooming through the woods on this awesome looking new RMC beast!!

Am I the only one that is starting to question the reputation of RMC? When Goliath at SFGAm was nearly a month late, people chalked that up to it being Six Flags, but this is at Dollywood. RMC was really late getting the track and bent work completed which didn't leave much time for testing before the original opening. Then there's this debacle with Velocity Magnetics when there are several other manufacturers of LSM launch systems that have already been proven. Does anyone know if this was RMC or Herschend's decision to work with Velocity? When B&M decided to make a launch coaster, they partnered with a reputable company to get it right.

Regardless, this coaster doesn't look like it will be open for a long time. I'm betting with the change in LSM manufactures, there will need to be alterations to the trains... All in all, this has not been a good look for RMC.

Nobody said it is easy being at the forefront of the industry. Ultimately RMC takes the fall, but I doubt Dollywood was telling them no when they said "hey, we're going to use this vendor and save some cash on our bid."

Welp. It is 5am in Hampton GA and my trip to Dollywood for the weekend begins. I'll try to grab some Lightning Rod photos from angles that havent been done to death as well as pictures of the other coasters for a trip report next week. Plus we get a backstage tour and ERT on Thunderhead on saturday so that will be pretty awesome!!

Was at Dollywood today... Beautiful day up until the last two hours or so when rain moved in. Park was dead! Walkon for all the coasters. The African show was really wonderful, especially if you dig Cirque du Soleil type shows. Highly recommended.

Sad, because it used to be a top woodie for me. Really needs some TLC.

Dolly was supposed to be in the parade today at the park, but cancelled last minute I guess (scared it would rain perhaps?$. The "parade" ended up being a few groups of performers, lasting about 30 seconds or so. Everybody looked at each other with "wtf" faces lol

The parade wasn't cancelled, it was 20 mins early BC of the threat of rain.. They rushed it.. I caught it by accident getting trapped in behind the emporium by security. Great seats for it though!!

And Dolly was in it unless she dropped out early during the course of the parade. She was at the end in her little Dolly car.. But yeah it was like a 30 second parade and that was all..I was right beside the emporium where news crews are so she might have dropped out right after that

I bet she might have dropped at the first turn off beside her old tour bus

Or they might have ran the parade again at the scheduled time of 4:30.. Dolly was in the parade that started around 4:10 - 4:15ish

Edited by dstephe9

^^ Sir, I realize that this just your opinion, but i must ask the question, where did you develop the tolerance for wood coasters that lead you to believe that Thunderhead is anything close to being rough?

When my home park wooden coaster, Outlaw Run, showed me that wooden coasters don't have to be rough. Thunderhead is really bad this year. Still marginally fun but nowhere near what it used to be.

Also for those who might care, they moved the Life is Good shirts again! I always buy my life is good and my GFs Kavu stuff at Dollywood.. Love the Gold Pass discount!! Life is good is now at the Wild Eagle shops with Kavu and Teva.. I feel it fits better there anyways as that store is more of an "OUTDOOR Outfitters" themed store!!!

I was bummed, no Native Sunglasses this year though

Anyways figured I would share as I am sure I am NOT the only one who buys life is good at Dollywood!! That stuff hardly ever runs on Sale anywhere so the gold lass discount rocks!

Now Dollywood put Chacos and ENO in there and you would have one awesome store. I know you sold generic hammocks in there last year!! Why not real ENOs?? Lol

I spent $100 on Life is Good and Kavu T-Shirts just on myself and then another $100 on Tevas and Kavu bags for my GF

Also on another note, the old lady selling Kavu and Life is Good in that shop rocks!!! I'd hire her in my outdoor store any day!! She was selling the DEVIL out of Kavu bags!! First time I have ever seen an associate at Dollywood pushing merchandise.. I have never seen an older lady be so passionate about outdoor gear and brands as her!!

Edited by dstephe9

^^ Sir, I realize that this just your opinion, but i must ask the question, where did you develop the tolerance for wood coasters that lead you to believe that Thunderhead is anything close to being rough?

Have you ridden it this year? I mean seriously, if people actually think it's running good I must be out of my mind. Mean Streak, Wildcat at Hershey, Gwazi, Villain in its rougher years, etc... Those are/were fine for me... But Thunderhead? It's downright bad. My neck/spine were abused after two laps. Rode front and back.

But are people saying it's rough compared to a RMC hybrid though?

Because it's a completely different kind of ride and that's just a silly comparison. As much as I love the RMC coasters and the pre fab intamins before them. There is still something crazy fun about the 'rougher style' traditional woodies that give you that 'we might die' feeling IMO.

I've been hearing for years how much rougher Thunderhead is getting, if it's true that's a shame but I've also heard enthusiasts talk about how rough Alpengeist is getting, how rough Twister at Knoebels is getting, how rough Thunderbolt at Six Flags New England is getting, how rough El Toro is getting and how rough Gatekeeper is so I'm just going to ignore all enthusiast opinions on all coasters until I ride them again for myself. It's a much better way to live your life, lol.

Every coaster gets rough eventually, I remember Thunderhead being as rough as it is now about 3 years ago, it hasn't really changed... Even if it has changed a little you have to see the fact that it is a wooden coaster, which have a reputation of getting rough after awhile.

Because it's a completely different kind of ride and that's just a silly comparison. As much as I love the RMC coasters and the pre fab intamins before them. There is still something crazy fun about the 'rougher style' traditional woodies that give you that 'we might die' feeling IMO.

Wood is wood to the GP. Don't think for one minute that they care about who made it.

Wood is wood to the GP. Don't think for one minute that they care about who made it.

They will likely think that Dollywood made it (we know this as in house production).

I think you missed his point, though. Lightning Rod will be far smoother than a traditional woodie, and the GP is not so stupid as to think: "Ow! This is rougher than the new one!"

I've been hearing for years how much rougher Thunderhead is getting, if it's true that's a shame but I've also heard enthusiasts talk about how rough Alpengeist is getting, how rough Twister at Knoebels is getting, how rough Thunderbolt at Six Flags New England is getting, how rough El Toro is getting and how rough Gatekeeper is so I'm just going to ignore all enthusiast opinions on all coasters until I ride them again for myself. It's a much better way to live your life, lol.

I really don't have anything else to say, I just can't agree with this sentiment enough.

They will likely think that Dollywood made it (we know this as in house production).

I think you missed his point, though. Lightning Rod will be far smoother than a traditional woodie, and the GP is not so stupid as to think: "Ow! This is rougher than the new one!"

Oh yes they will. There will be talks of "they're tearing out Thunderhead because it's so rough". You're giving the GP waaaaaaay too much credit