TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

We've booked our cabin for May 15-22nd and was hoping to get some advice from those who know Dollywood on here. We chose this week as school is still in session and its the last week of the year before the park is open 7 days a week.

We plan on taking advantage of the evening access on Wednesday night and then being there all day Thursday. Does anyone know what type of crowds to expect during the week this time of year? In addition does anyone have any info on their Bluegrass and BBQ Festival?

Finally does anyone have any basic recommendations for Dollywood? Any basic tips, tricks, or must do's, must eats?. I've been to Dollywood but its been about 10 years so a lot has changed. We're hosting 4 generations of family from 5 months to 85+ years of age so any info would be greatly appreciated.

To everyone saying that Dollywood couldn't possibly predict crowds because of walk up sales and people staying at offsite hotels, you're way off the mark. The park has been open for decades, with that much volume data the park should be able to line up holidays accordingly and have a very good idea of when crowds will be there - being off by 10K visitors was just someone's mistake.

must eats?

Oh you have no idea...

Anyway let me be the first of like 100 people to answer this with the same thing. Yes!!! Cinnamon Bread from the grist mill (the building with the water wheel). It'll change your life... not just by taking a few years off of it (which it will) but by being the most delicious amusement park food in existence anywhere.

Well I just got back from the Smokies and I think this is the first time I never visited Dollywood on a Smokies trip. I just have to say, Dollywood doesn't make the Smokies. I had an awesome time without visiting Dollywood. Didn't think I would, but I did. I finally got to ride all the Alpine Coasters. The two in Pigeon Forge are wonderful. The Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster is the best! Ober Gatlinburg's coaster is horrible. Save your money, forget Ober Gatlinburg. But if you must go, don't ride the tram...unless you enjoy waiting a long time, paying a lot of money and getting packed in like sardines with somebody beside you with terrible body odor. In short, skip Ober Gatlinburg, but ride the other three alpine coasters. Tons of other things to do, but I won't get into it. As for Dollywood, Yes, I do plan on going this year. But seeing how I've been there many times, I'll just wait for Lightning Rod to open first...Which I hope is soon. That coaster looks amazing and Dollywood is in desperate need for a airtime juggernaut. Yes, I know Thunderhead is great and all with bits of airtime, but something tells me, Dollywood's premium jewel will be Lightning Rod.

must eats?

Oh you have no idea...

Anyway let me be the first of like 100 people to answer this with the same thing. Yes!!! Cinnamon Bread from the grist mill (the building with the water wheel). It'll change your life... not just by taking a few years off of it (which it will) but by being the most delicious amusement park food in existence anywhere.

Also make sure you get a fresh funnel cake. Not a plain one, either. Those are boring. Get one of the diabetes-guaranteed models. Thank me later.

While we're talking about taking a few years off your life, try the fresh friend pork rinds, they made a believer out of me. Another awesome food item is the pizza at Lumberjack's Pizza, a whole pizza is 12lbs, but they do sell it by the slice.

Well I just got back from the Smokies and I think this is the first time I never visited Dollywood on a Smokies trip. I just have to say, Dollywood doesn't make the Smokies. I had an awesome time without visiting Dollywood. Didn't think I would, but I did. I finally got to ride all the Alpine Coasters. The two in Pigeon Forge are wonderful. The Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster is the best! Ober Gatlinburg's coaster is horrible. Save your money, forget Ober Gatlinburg. But if you must go, don't ride the tram...unless you enjoy waiting a long time, paying a lot of money and getting packed in like sardines with somebody beside you with terrible body odor. In short, skip Ober Gatlinburg, but ride the other three alpine coasters. Tons of other things to do, but I won't get into it. As for Dollywood, Yes, I do plan on going this year. But seeing how I've been there many times, I'll just wait for Lightning Rod to open first...Which I hope is soon. That coaster looks amazing and Dollywood is in desperate need for a airtime juggernaut. Yes, I know Thunderhead is great and all with bits of airtime, but something tells me, Dollywood's premium jewel will be Lightning Rod.

Don't forget the 100 mile hike the Smokies challenge!! I'm trying to go for it.. Great way to spend time in the Smokies.. If your here with family you only have to hike 10 miles for the family challenge

The Gatlinburg one is very fast but is by far the shortest. The Ober one has a great layout but is extremely rough in the straight aways. My favorite is the Goat coaster with Smoky Mt being a close 2nd.

Well dang. I'm hoping to possibly do TiTH next year, so I hope they can come up with

quick replacement date(s) for this year's event.

Power to Lightning Rod! And good on DW for offering the refunds, too.

Dollywood has postponed the Thrills in the Hills event for April 8-9. Doesn't look good my friends

Be the first to get behind-the-scenes access to the world’s fastest wooden roller coaster during Dollywood’s Thrills in the Hills!

Thrills in the Hills has been postponed for a date later in the operating season. Details of the new date will be announced at a later time. If you do not wish to attend the rescheduled Thrills in the Hills, please contact us to arrange a refund.

The event includes exclusive ride time on some of Dollywood’s most popular roller coasters, including the much anticipated Lightning Rod, new in 2016!

The event also includes a catered lunch and reserved seating during one of Dollywood’s award- winning shows. Guests enjoy rare behind-the-scenes tours of the coasters and a free event t-shirt, pin and patch.

Keep watching here for updated details.

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Festivals/ThrillsintheHills

Well, at least they are taking necessary actions to make sure that when the coaster does open people will still get to enjoy it during Thrills In The Hills!

Can't wait to eventually see this coaster up and running!

DW aired a TV commercial this morning for Lightning Rod saying it was now open! I guess maybe that was the only commercial they made for the season, but it seems like airing it now will do more harm than good.

The last commercial I seen in my area (Southeastern KY) on Fox said "opening spring 2016" That was earlier this week. You sure it said "now open"?