TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Those trains looks absolutely amazing!!!!! I can just picture them launching up the hill now. Well, if Pete said testing will begin on Valentine's Day that's in two weeks. If they haven't gotten it completed at the moment, I'm sure they will by then. Especially if they're already at the non-inverting half loop. On RMC's Instagram, there's a picture of them tracking the coaster, but I've learned that they don't always post up to date things. So that could've been from yesterday. Their Facebook page is surely not up to date. So let's see, LSM's are in place, structure is complete or nearing completion, trains have arrived, what else is left to do besides test runs and programming?

Those trains looks absolutely amazing!!!!! I can just picture them launching up the hill now. Well, if Pete said testing will begin on Valentine's Day that's in two weeks. If they haven't gotten it completed at the moment, I'm sure they will by then. Especially if they're already at the non-inverting half loop. On RMC's Instagram, there's a picture of them tracking the coaster, but I've learned that they don't always post up to date things. So that could've been from yesterday. Their Facebook page is surely not up to date. So let's see, LSM's are in place, structure is complete or nearing completion, trains have arrived, what else is left to do besides test runs and programming?

Well judging by pictures taken today, structure is up everywhere except most of the half loop. Track on the other hand is only complete until halfway up the double up. The track for the final brakes looks like it's in place though. So if they are able to get that remaining structure up, and the rest of the track in the next two weeks, it's surely possible.

I doubt Pete Owens would say "Valentine's Day" without meaning it!

I think . . . The electrical components are done. All that's waiting to be done is the rest of the track. From what I can see the quad down and final turn around needs to be complete. They can do that in a week. They are working right now as I type.

Pictures are popping up everywhere on Instagram from the ACE event. I have a question though, I thought these trains were suppose to be single row, articulating trains. You know, a "new design"? From what I can see they're the same 2x2 trains as Twisted Colussus or Outlaw Run. I'm not complaining at all because they're beautiful, just curious.

. . . I thought these trains were suppose to be single row, articulating trains. You know, a "new design"?

Maybe if this were the new RMC T-Rex, or Raptor track... But it's not, so not sure where you got the idea it was going to be a single row, articulating train. It's been shown to be the 2X2 trains this entire time.

thumb_screen_shot_2015-08-07_at_11_0.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, until us pesky enthusiasts ruined it all! Shame!

I mean, what would the ride operators have said when the trains came back into the station??

"Welcome back riders!!! How was your ride?!?!" (Insert riders screaming with pleasure, and enjoyment here) ... (Then back to the ride operator) "Fantastic!!! When the train comes to a complete stop, go ahead and lift up on that red safety bar, unbuckle your black safety belt, and exit to your right!! I hope you enjoyed riding our Rod. We know the Shot is amazing! Please come back and ride our Rod again soon, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Dollywood!"

Yeah. . . Now I see the problem.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

I just laughed really hard as I imagined Dollywood ride Ops saying that. A little kid saying "Mommy I wanna ride the rod again". Yea, very very awkward and bad on their part.

I was checking out some of the pics from the event and asked about the construction. One guy said Pete told the group they are focusing right now on hurrying to get the Non-Inverting half loop finished because that's the area where the electrical housing will go. After that they can track and finish the remaining parts which aren't that much. I also asked about the quad down and seen a picture. He said it basically looks like a pile of sticks sticking out of the ground, and when I seen the pic I seen why. Looking at it from the ground it is so hard to see because it's like the supports run so low to the group all the way down the hill.

I don't understand . . . Someone can still call it rod right now (being only the first word changed). Why would an op say that? Be it lightning or shot as the first part of the name? No one says thanks for riding head, or fire, or wild. Was that an attempt at a bad joke?

Anyway . . . Here is a kinda head on shot to show how tight the apex of the first crest is. Notice the lack of supports at the bottom.

Sevierville-20160130-04475.thumb.jpg.e194308592e3e389b8c447b17217e5a1.jpg

A lot will go on in the valley.

Sevierville-20160130-04488.thumb.jpg.e103761b4fd6ca77cc334fd3cdc86f1a.jpg

Still can't believe someone said the track was completed!

Sevierville-20160130-04456.thumb.jpg.ab5807c7585cd702726f5e35718e3fc5.jpg

. . . I thought these trains were suppose to be single row, articulating trains. You know, a "new design"?

Maybe if this were the new RMC T-Rex, or Raptor track... But it's not, so not sure where you got the idea it was going to be a single row, articulating train. It's been shown to be the 2X2 trains this entire time.

thumb_screen_shot_2015-08-07_at_11_0.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it was announced it was supposed to be 2x1.

From the announcement post Robb posted:

[...]Located in Dollywood’s Jukebox Junction, Lightning Rod rockets riders around its massive wooden structure on an adrenaline-charged lap through the trees in the hills and valleys surrounding Dollywood. During the ride, guests experience nearly 20 seconds of airtime. The coaster train is comprised of 12 cars, carrying two passengers each, for a total of 24 people per train. [...]

But it was announced it was supposed to be 2x1.

[...]Located in Dollywood’s Jukebox Junction, Lightning Rod rockets riders around its massive wooden structure on an adrenaline-charged lap through the trees in the hills and valleys surrounding Dollywood. During the ride, guests experience nearly 20 seconds of airtime. The coaster train is comprised of 12 cars, carrying two passengers each, for a total of 24 people per train. [...]

Cars, rows, carriages...it's all the same in a press release. No fault of the park, no fault of the author, it's just how it happens sometimes. It could have been a miscommunication between departments, it's not like they're intentionally misleading their guests. This is a pretty trivial thing to be all riled up about.

Who cares?

Just go ride and have fun.

--Robb "This is why I can't stand most die-hard roller coaster enthusiasts." Alvey