TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

From knoxnews.com story and pics here

When Dollywood kicks off its 2016 season March 18, it will do so with a new roller coaster that's like nothing park visitors have ever seen.

Lightning Rod will not only be the world's fastest wooden roller coaster, but the world's first launching wooden roller coaster as well, said Pete Owens, Dollywood's director of communications.

The coaster, which will have a drop of 165 feet and a length of about two-thirds of a mile, has a wooden structure, but some advanced features designed to improve the ride, Owens said. He described the experience as riders start up for the first hill.

"You will crest the hill; there is a false drop; you will come back up over a hill, and by the time you hit the bottom of a 165-foot drop on the other side of the ridge, you will be going 73 mph," he said. "That makes this the fastest wooden coaster in the world."

And, instead of the traditional chain-lift method for launching wooden coasters, Lightning Road will use linear synchronous motors to propel cars up the first hill at 45 mph.

Lightning Rod uses some of the same construction methods as Dollywood's other wooden coaster, Thunderhead, but also has a continuously welded tubular steel track for a better ride, Owens said.

"And unlike Thunderhead, which runs on steel wheels, this uses urethane wheels, so it still moves like a wooden coaster but has the ride of a steel coaster. It will be quieter and smoother," he said.

On Wednesday, Dollywood gave members of the press a peek at the ride, which is under construction at the Jukebox Junction portion of the Pigeon Forge park. The ride is actually part of a total revamp of that area, Owens said. Red's Diner will get an interior facelift and an outdoor seating area.

"It's already one of the most popular restaurants in the park, and with the new ride we anticipate a much greater demand," Owens said.

A new retail shop called Hi Octane will tie in with the hot rod theme of the Lightning Rod coaster. A food truck with a chicken theme will be added, and Dippin' Dots ice cream will be sold from an Airstream trailer.

Almost everything in Jukebox Junction will undergo remodeling, Owens said.

677996593_dollywoodlightningrodonmaintenancetrackknoxnewsfeb2016.JPG.35a32b5dd418b55c6e70b22720e64488.JPG

from knoxnews.com

Dollywood just emailed their new show selections for the year. They're performing, It's a Wonderful Life for their New Christmas Show. This pleases me greatly! Plus Magicians, Animal Stunt Shows, And an African themed Acrobat Show. It didn't mention which shows would be returning, but these all look to be fun crowd pleasers.

Hmmm. We have an annual production of (adapted from the film) "It's A Wonderful Life."

It's been a staple of the Christmas Season here in Vancouver for a few years. I don't

believe it's a locally-written script, but even so, the locals love it enough to return these

past few years.

Might this Dollywood version be a truncated version of that script, or something original?

EDIT: On second thought, our production is a play. Dollywood's is obviously an

original musical with numbers in it, duh. Silly bear I is.

V ~ NOTED!

Edited by Nrthwnd

Dollywood just emailed their new show selections for the year. They're performing, It's a Wonderful Life for their New Christmas Show. This pleases me greatly! Plus Magicians, Animal Stunt Shows, And an African themed Acrobat Show. It didn't mention which shows would be returning, but these all look to be fun crowd pleasers.

Hmmm. We have an annual production of (adapted from the film) "It's A Wonderful Life."

It's been a staple of the Christmas Season here in Vancouver for a few years. I don't

believe it's a locally-written script, but even so, the locals love it enough to return these

past few years.

Might this Dollywood version be a truncated version of that script, or something original?

Considering that SDC already does a musical version of Its A Wonderful Life, I imagine it will be quite similar

overall a little underwhelmed by the "freshness" of the live shows at Dollywood. I wish they had a few in rotation that they swapped out every year or so. Its disappointing that a park representing a music legend fills the theaters with third party magic and dog shows (this summer) i wish they even had a few more shows in the style of old "Opryland" shows. Review with a light plot similar to Dreamland DriveIn. Opryland used to have a great show called "And The Winner Is" that highlighted award winning songs from Oscars, Tonys, Dove and Grammies - all areas that Dolly has worked in. That was a great show that could be freshened every year or so, yet keep the "classics" and it made to good "Theatrical spectacle". I also love Dreamland - but its time for a new "plot" or story line to freshen this one up a bit. I just wish there were at least two "broadway style" shows with actual sets, costuming and lighting here and that they rotated them every year or so.

^ To add to that, I would like to see a few more "A-List" Country music stars do shows at Dollywood. You would think it would be the perfect venue.

Has there been any word if they're bringing back the Showcase of Stars in the fall? It was a rather brief set of 3 concerts last year (Dolly, Band Perry, Kenny). I would have expected them to keep the momentum going with this.

I just wanted to take a minute and say how much I really liked Pete (the Dollywood Director of Communications) the several times I've met him. He is a SUPER nice guy and is also very funny.

Back to the regular discussion

This looks amazing and I cannot wait to ride it

Anyone know what the height restriction could be?

Outlaw Run's is 48"...I would suspect the same for LR. It doesn't look like DW has updated their website to reflect that...that I could see.

I do wonder if its lower since there isn't an inversion. I guess we will wait and see!

I do wonder if its lower since there isn't an inversion. I guess we will wait and see!

Inversions don't determine height restrictions, restraints do. Seeing as Lightning Run has the same restraints as all the other RMCs, and they all have 48" height restrictions (including NTaG, which doesn't have any inversions), there's no reason to believe anything will be different here.

Anyone know what the height restriction could be?

Outlaw Run's is 48"...I would suspect the same for LR. It doesn't look like DW has updated their website to reflect that...that I could see.

These other RMC's are 48" as well - New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler, Wicked Cyclone & Twisted Colossus.

^ Hopefully they fixed whatever issues cause the ride to be down so much, Chance still makes them so there should no problem with getting referb parts. I also hope they added some more decor to the queue. It would be nice to have more interesting things to look at then just old hub caps. More theme material throughout the ride would be a welcome addition as well.

Does anyone remember what was once where this newly coming shop is going? I know all the "shops" down through this area were fake with just painted glass put up with decorations, but now they've removed the glass and are actually putting something in which I think should've been done a long time ago. Wonder if this will be the "Hi Octane" shop or something else?

image.jpeg.e604e312755d4456f4ce825dcab865c4.jpeg

From WBIR

^ I think that is what used to be Dolly's Closet, (it was pink). That is interesting, maybe Jukebox Junction will eventually eliminate the Adventures in Imagionation area (which is kinda pointless anyway). Lightning Rod, and maybe soon a 50's themed dark ride in the former Thunder Road theater? Sounds like money to me.

The photo above is the old Paul's Guitar & Music Shop facade. I think it was a facade, I know I've never been inside.

It was actually a disguise for Dollywood's weather station where atmospheric conditions were closely monitored for extreme cold temperatures, lightning and other potential severe storms that threaten normal park operations and guest's or employee's safety, including monitoring for Splash Country. Since the space is being opened up to the public, I suppose the weather station has been moved elsewhere on the property. Maybe we will see a return of Cas Walker's shop here?

Notice the lack of asphalt in that photo.
I know - I really think its time for Dollywood to begin replacing black asphalt with pavers or stamped concrete throughout. Its SUCH a great detail that can add so much to the theme of the area. Imagine if craftsman valley had natural "earth" concrete with leaves and pebbles stamped in - interspersed with stretched of "wood" porches for the buildings.

did anyone ever figure out why PR Pete said that the track was complete, when you could see in the event photos that the final part of the ride isn't even built yet? seems strange to me. still hopeful for an on-time opening, I can't wait to ride!

He didn't. Some website wrote incorrect information saying HE said it.

Are those actual working headlamps? That will make night rides spectacular!

Nope. Just for "looks".