TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I honestly think LR is my least favorite new RMC. it has to do with the hot rod theme. Whilst it was a great idea, I don't see how a ride through the wooded mountains fit the theme. I wish they would had designed more theming aspects.

Another factor is the launch and drop, which could have been so much better IMO. Imagine an uninterrupted transition from a launch to an amazing drop. The acceleration effect would be such a rush!

Hate me if you want, but it won't change that I think LR had more potential than was granted.

I think the theme fits pretty well, and I think the launch and drop(s) will be more intense than you anticipate. However, why would anyone hate you over opinions about roller coasters? That would just be stupid. I love roller coasters, they are one of my great passions, but there are more important things in life. Keep the opinions coming!

I honestly think LR is my least favorite new RMC. it has to do with the hot rod theme. Whilst it was a great idea, I don't see how a ride through the wooded mountains fit the theme. I wish they would had designed more theming aspects.

Another factor is the launch and drop, which could have been so much better IMO. Imagine an uninterrupted transition from a launch to an amazing drop. The acceleration effect would be such a rush!

Hate me if you want, but it won't change that I think LR had more potential than was granted.

Wow . . . Tell me about that ride you had on it to bring you to the conclusion that it had more potential than was granted? Im not trying to be "that guy" but how you can you speak on potential of a coaster that no one has even ridden?

Wow . . . Tell me about that ride you had on it to bring you to the conclusion that it had more potential than was granted? Im not trying to be "that guy" but how you can you speak on potential of a coaster that no one has even ridden?

Well technically it had the potential to be a 600 foot tall AquaTrax, so he's kinda right.

I guess.

obligatory sarcasm disclaimer for those who can't tell

What looks like the better ride, this or Wildfire? True Lightning Rod wins by default because it's in the US and most of us will get to ride it at some point. But I'm curious, all things being equal, what people think. This ride has the launch and the amazing finale, but Wildfire is longer and has a wider variety of elements.

Are you sure that you don't mean to compare LR to Outlaw Run being that the two are more similar coasters (RMC)?

I'm talking about the Wildfire being built at Kolmarden. Both are the first RMCs we're seeing of this scale, both are terrain coasters speeding through wooded hillsides. They're actually really similar in a lot of ways which is why I think it's interesting to compare raw layouts.

Both look amazing of course, but personally I think Wildfire pretty clearly has the edge. It just has more to it. That's assuming it keeps its speed all the way to the end without petering out through the final S turn. Although the quadruple down potentially will be better than any single moment on Wildfire. Too bad they're not being built closer together so more people can compare.

some speculation here but...

I rode all of the RMCs in the US in 2015 but as far as the wood-on-wood ones go, I wasn't a big fan of Outlaw run, it has some great elements but maybe in my old age I just have a hard time with intensity like that. There was a pothole (shocking, i know) on the first half that really messed me up. And the barrel rolls at the end did nothing for me so the ending was kinda puttered-out for my tastes.

so for that reason I'm looking forward to Lightning Rod because I think (hope?) it will be SLIGHTLY more family-friendly and less intense which works for me, sure the elements will be crazy and all but I dont think it will have the sheer explosiveness of Outlaw. Also happy that it doesn't have inversions, they're fun (really love the stalls, especially on Goliath) but nice to see something a little more classic although there's really nothing about any of the elements on the ride that's "classic". But I think it looks like a lot of fun which is more like what I'm looking for these days.

Wildfire looks like a really nice hybrid of all the RMCs to date, beautiful terrain and crazy twists and inversions and great hills and airtime. I think it's a solid all-around ride and I know I'd love it - but it might be more along the outlaw-intensity and in that case I'd pick LR.

(Leaving Goliath out of it because it's just ok-overall and not really in the league of these others!)

I'm talking about the Wildfire being built at Kolmarden. Both are the first RMCs we're seeing of this scale, both are terrain coasters speeding through wooded hillsides. They're actually really similar in a lot of ways which is why I think it's interesting to compare raw layouts.

I knew that you were talking about Wildfire at Kolmården, and I still think that Outlaw Run is a better comparison to Lightning Rod. Herschend calls up Rocky Mountain and they're like, "Hey, build us a kick-butt wooden coaster in this space" and they do it. Outlaw Run. Outlaw Run rockets to the top of coaster polls. Herschend calls up Rocky Mountain again and they're like, "Hey, you're awesome, build us another one and we'll give you a bigger space to work with" and they're doing it now. Lightning Rod.

Silver Dollar City and Silver Dollar C...I mean Dollywood have always been similar but different. The fact that Wildfire's being built right now at the same time is likely just a coincidence (though a coincidence brought on by Rocky Mountain's success).

What looks like the better ride, this or Wildfire? True Lightning Rod wins by default because it's in the US and most of us will get to ride it at some point. But I'm curious, all things being equal, what people think. This ride has the launch and the amazing finale, but Wildfire is longer and has a wider variety of elements.

Are you sure that you don't mean to compare LR to Outlaw Run being that the two are more similar coasters (RMC)?

Both look amazing of course, but personally I think Wildfire pretty clearly has the edge. It just has more to it. That's assuming it keeps its speed all the way to the end without petering out through the final S turn. Although the quadruple down potentially will be better than any single moment on Wildfire. Too bad they're not being built closer together so more people can compare.

I guess I'm just not sure why you would want come to this thread, where their new exciting roller coaster is being built, and try and compare if to another coaster being built on the other side of the world. No one has ridden either, and you know all its going to do is take away from the excitement of what they are getting. This is the most unique coaster being built in the US this year and "I" believe we should all be pumped up for it, not comparing it to Wildfire. They both look great but this is the Dollywood thread.

Personally the lift and the hill before the main drop are my favorite parts of the layout.

I'm wondering if Lightning Rod is on schedule to open with the park in March, as my Spring Break starts the 18th and I want to go to Dollywood that upcoming week. Is it on schedule? I know Wild Eagle opened up pretty quickly/with the park, but sometimes coasters with new technology have lots of bugs and glitches that need to be worked out.

I'm wondering if Lightning Rod is on schedule to open with the park in March, as my Spring Break starts the 18th and I want to go to Dollywood that upcoming week. Is it on schedule? I know Wild Eagle opened up pretty quickly/with the park, but sometimes coasters with new technology have lots of bugs and glitches that need to be worked out.

The trailer said it would open in March

I'm heading out to Dollywood over Easter weekend with a group of friends. Does anyone have any experience with 4-6 bedroom cabins in the area? I've heard that getting a cabin is the best way to experience the area, but there are so many rental companies that it can be a tad overwhelming and would love to get any insight from you all.

We stayed in one a few years back and we loved it. This year we were searching and noticed the price difference to stay in some of the ones controlled by Dollywood really was not bad at all and we get length of stay passes for the price of a one day ticket (parking is free). It really doesn't seem like there are many bad options just read the reviews before booking.

I'm heading out to Dollywood over Easter weekend with a group of friends. Does anyone have any experience with 4-6 bedroom cabins in the area? I've heard that getting a cabin is the best way to experience the area, but there are so many rental companies that it can be a tad overwhelming and would love to get any insight from you all.

Here's a link to the top 50 rentals in/near Gatlinburg that are on VRBO...this is a good starting point for research.

VRBO's top 50 vacation rentals near Gatlinburg Tenn.

Here's an awesome mid-century mod rental that I hope to rent one of these days. Swiss retro rental

Good luck on your quest!

The trailer said it would open in March

Well technically "peeling out in March 2016" could mean March 31st to be fair. I'm always skeptic of opening dates because I've seen cases where rides have glitches as I said above.

. . .but sometimes coasters with new technology have lots of bugs and glitches that need to be worked out.

Because we have never seen a coaster with a LSM launch before??

Maybe it is just me, but I wouldn't really call an LSM launch "New Technology." LSM coasters have been up and running for quite some time now.

I can not remember the last time Dollywood opened for the season without their new attraction operating. So, if that is any indication, I would expect it to be open. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I got an email over a week ago for passholder preview day on the 18th. It exclusively mentioned, "Be the first to ride Lightening Rod!" prominently on the email header.

With 7 1/2 weeks left, I think they are in a good place to have it open on time for the season. Almost everything left to do is at ground level or easily accessed by service roads. And it's not like LIM's are new coaster technology anymore. They have become very reliable. I am not concerned at this point.

. . .but sometimes coasters with new technology have lots of bugs and glitches that need to be worked out.

Maybe it is just me, but I wouldn't really call an LSM launch "New Technology." LSM coasters have been up and running for quite some time now.

First ever wooden launch and RMC's first launcher. Sure, the actual tech has been in use for a very long time, now, but never in this application. Plug and play doesn't work well with technology. There's always hurdles to overcome in the planning and installation, let alone the unforeseen issues that arise once out into use.

I'm not saying it's gonna break immediately. It could very well get up and go from day one. All I'm saying is hope for the best, but plan for headaches.

First ever wooden launch and RMC's first launcher. Sure, the actual tech has been in use for a very long time, now, but never in this application. Plug and play doesn't work well with technology. There's always hurdles to overcome in the planning and installation, let alone the unforeseen issues that arise once out into use.

I'm not saying it's gonna break immediately. It could very well get up and go from day one. All I'm saying is hope for the best, but plan for headaches.

^This pretty much answers my question. Thankfully I live close enough to go and come back in a day anyway. And also I mean new technology in the sense that Lightning Rod will be the world's first launched wooden coaster so yeah.

Outlaw Run as a prototype had its share of technical problems and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the world's first wooden coaster (I don't know, I might need a link to RCDB to confirm that though).

. . .I don't know, I might need a link to RCDB to confirm that though.

Haven't you heard? You ALWAYS need a link to RCDB. RCDB is what makes the world rotate correctly. If you don't use a link to RCDB you could cause the earth to stop spinning... Forever dooming all mankind.

With the amount of problems Outlaw Run and Goliath (Goliath to this day has issues) had around opening for a traditional wooden coaster I'd be shocked (ha) if Lightning Rod doesn't have it's share of issues being RMCs first dabble into magnetic launches.

With the amount of problems Outlaw Run and Goliath (Goliath to this day has issues) had around opening for a traditional wooden coaster I'd be shocked (ha) if Lightning Rod doesn't have it's share of issues being RMCs first dabble into magnetic launches.

Yeah, but with the exception of the launch system, I'll bet that Dollywood is now much better-prepared to deal with those problems after the stuff that Silver Dollar City dealt with.

Anyone know if IOE programmed Outlaw Run? Brian from IOE worked for Consign who B&M & GCI contract to program their coasters. Consign is a big part of the aforementioned manufacturer's product being so reliable. I personally think LR will be pretty reliable and should any issues arise I have no doubt that the park, RMC, and IOE will get them handled in a timely manner.

^It's interesting you don't hear about who designs the software (firmware?) for these rides more often. I imagine doing a good versus a bad job with that makes a TON of difference to how well the ride operates. I remember waiting for my first ride on Boulder Dash, they were cleaning up a protein spill and then afterwards they had to wait for maintenance because the lead op basically said she'd been locked out of her controls. I got the impression the software was incredibly slow and buggy.

^I agree. PLC programmers are the reason the rides run (or don't run).

Outlaw Run's issues were mostly programming related to my knowledge. Twisted Colossus' nagging issues with the lifts are sensor/programming related. I'm currently working on my PLC programming certificate and only have a few months left so I'm excited. Unfortunately, most of the courses are aimed towards students looking to go into the manufacturing industry. Yes, Amusement rides are lumped into the "Industrial Machinery" category which is technically true however, programming a packaging machine and a ride are 2 completely different experiences. Hope that makes sense....