TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Had a fantastic day at Dollywood today. The rain in the morning scared everybody off and all rides were walk ons all day! The main reason for my visit today was to see Rhonda Vincent and boy was she good! I think tickets to her concert are worth the price of a season pass. Anyways I was super impressed with Dollywood today. The park was a lot better than it was on opening day back in March. They fixed all the effects on Daredevil Falls (my favorite ride). The houses on the train route were fixed up and they put up a new wooden fence. The new stage where Timber Tower looks great. I found out that the rows roped off on Firechaser are because "they are not needed." No kidding, that's what the ride op said. Now onto the pictures!

IMG_2249.thumb.JPG.d77219b702a5ded1d28f91ffebc829f0.JPG

The new stage at Timer Tower looks good. It looks very steampunkish.

IMG_2251.thumb.JPG.a4657e74e4406b0288bb567ebb270da6.JPG

It's already 100% humidity because its raining. No need to make it 110%...

IMG_2257.thumb.JPG.001e609022acd2d8206f671bb43ebe50.JPG

The BBQ for lunch was really good! The raspberry chipotle sauce was interesting.

IMG_2263.thumb.JPG.f92e491e3750040c883c44f280385998.JPG

I got more wet on this ride than I ever have in the past.

IMG_2264.thumb.JPG.b1030358edc9a08c1b3c2ae6d51054cc.JPG

View of the construction from Rampage queue.

IMG_2265.thumb.JPG.fb33a6e1c6904789f9be6381b21e1e03.JPG

Dollywood is getting lazy with their signage... They have their own sign shop, and they should use it.

IMG_2266.thumb.JPG.96737a3ceda0078b0ef2b122d3bc4558.JPG

More laziness

IMG_2270.thumb.JPG.ce9ccc5c8f949d170a2626d91f94dcc5.JPG

Its been a long time since I've seen steam come out of Cinderella. It looks like she might be running sometime this season.

IMG_2278.thumb.JPG.ea69a5a174337088ec478501833c6d66.JPG

Rhonda Vincent was amazing!!! Such a good voice!

IMG_2279.thumb.JPG.ac6eecab74a94887661f05cc6178be2a.JPG

Construction

IMG_2280.thumb.JPG.04586c86888783a1e38a410ffb093711.JPG

Lots of stuff going on on the hill

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.1652e48a1b9d8e5bffaf8f32e35f56e1.JPG

More construction

IMG_2282.thumb.JPG.c862ac370b84cf0f084e9dc1ae20469a.JPG

More construction

IMG_2283.thumb.JPG.d4f3dfb4adc560b5017ecf4bb9c02464.JPG

More construction

IMG_2285.thumb.JPG.95f0c29e1bc54a74e75a774fd07724f0.JPG

I was kinda disappointed about the wagon shop going away, but the pottery was really cool looking. The even had a craftsman there to demo pottery making.

the ropes on firechaser are only used in wet weather, the purpose is to keep the train lighter. because firechaser is a family coaster it's obviously not aggressive, it's launch system is pretty much just "spinning tires", wet tires don't get traction as well as dry ones, so they just keep a bit of weight off the train to ensure a proper launch out of the station.

^^ I was surprised by the carriages being gone opening weekend and when I checked it out I ended up chatting with the potter for quite a bit. He said the week prior to the park opening the gentleman who made the carriages passed away... So he got a call from dollywood out of the blue and ended up opening up in that spot on extremely short notice. He is a really nice guy and it's good too see his set up is coming along and that he can do demos now.

^^ I was surprised by the carriages being gone opening weekend and when I checked it out I ended up chatting with the potter for quite a bit. He said the week prior to the park opening the gentleman who made the carriages passed away... So he got a call from dollywood out of the blue and ended up opening up in that spot on extremely short notice. He is a really nice guy and it's good too see his set up is coming along and that he can do demos now.

Just to put anyones mind at ease, no one from the carriage shop passed away. It was announced months in advance that the wagon shop was going to be closing its doors and the craftsmen from the shop were offered other jobs on the park if they wanted them. But I asure you, Steve is alive and well.

I'll also add as cool as the wagon shop was to look at, the pottery shop is somewhere guests can take something home with them. When I visited I picked up a candle luminary for my mom for mothers day. I spoke with the owner, Kim, I believe it was and she was so nice, she also shared the story with me about being asked to bring the shop to Dollywood, and was extremely proud to have her shop in park.

If you're there and have time to stop in and check it out I would highly recommend you do so, they are so, so kind!

Here's a couple (low-quality) photos of the construction from today - since I know we can never get enough. You can see they've started putting up some rebar for the walls.

I'll have to write more about my reactions to DW later, but I was of course VERY impressed. I've been waiting for the right opportunity to come to DW for over a decade now, so today was a dream come true. A bit of a rainy start, but I was able to get on all the coasters except TT, and I'm here for tomorrow for a full day.

Craftsmen's Valley and Timber Canyon are amazing, and the front areas of the park are really nice too. I don't know why the couldn't have made the back area of the park that nice... I know it's been talked about a lot, but it was kinda jarring to see in real life. Tennessee Tornado's area is just kinda trashy when you compare it to the rest of the park - I just don't get why they made it like that.

As far as the construction goes, it's a bit odd how they've constructed those roads going up the hill, but they aren't big enough for coaster track from what I can tell. Maybe it's just for surveying and the real construction process will clear it out a bit more. That path that's been cut into the side of the hill is pretty odd. Too small to be coaster related, but then what is it following? Maybe it's just a future access pathway that will run under the coaster? Hard to speculate on too much at the moment, but obviously Cas Walker's is being replaced with a new building.

2139169171_photo2(1).JPG.e842c73b6fde19aba4af50c2e70f84ba.JPG

232451706_photo1(1).JPG.97c59ff272de731c1a005146d7ee7d21.JPG

I wish Dollywood could have removed less vegetation from the construction of all of their new rides. I know most of that construction is on difficult hills and challenging, but every addition starting with Thunderhead they have just razed the area underneath each new ride and the atmosphere suffers for it and sometimes there's not even grass growing underneath but clay and weeds. The Wilderness Pass area looks so much different than the old park and the new hotness looks to have the same thing going. IDK, with that beautiful forest around it the construction just sticks out so much.

Edited by BlahBlahson

^That doesn't really address the issue though. At both SDC and DW you have the older areas built around the existing growth where you feel like you are in a city in the woods, and then the newer areas that pretty much only have planted trees in planters. It makes a big difference in the feel of the park. Like most things that makes these parks special, the original way of doing things came from the attitude that Mary Herschend had - she would throw a fit over loosing old growth trees without a seriously good reason and would have buildings modified to fit around them.

Now that they have a much more corporate mindset they simply bulldoze everything and landscape it back. It's just a different attitude for a different time. Supposedly planting two trees somewhere else really doesn't matter to anyone - and quite frankly, where are they doing that exactly? They've cut down hundreds of trees over the past few years alone. It must be like a carbon credit where they're paying for it to be done at various random locations.

It's just one of those things that comes and goes depending on who's in charge at the time and where the PTB's priorities lie. Additions from some years see a lot of attention put on certain details that are then almost forgotten about in other years. This could be something that if it is brought to their attention in a constructive way, they might begin to adjust their methodology.

Tennessee Tornado's area may look "trashy" to fit the tornado theme. It also uses the same buildings and loading stations from the Thunder Express coaster from 1989.

It's going to be very difficult to make any additions to a wooded and hilly park like Dollywood without removing some trees. Unfortunately that means new additions and park growth or keeping the park enclosed with trees.

Dollywood does their part with conservation efforts, like the American Chestnut Tree Project, and does seem to respect the natural beauty of the area.

Seeing those pictures is great. Some friends and myself will be hitting Dollywood on our way back from Coasting For Kids at Carowinds. Being so close to Branson, we visit SDC fairly often. I am excited to finally have the opportunity to visit the park. I'm sure they'll persuade me to go back in 2016!

BIG TIP!

I added Hint #12 to my growing list of hints about the new coaster at http://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/things-to-do/new-dollywood-roller-coaster-in-2016/

Here ya go!

"So I got word from a very reliable source that the new coaster is going to be wooden! So boy howdy does this change things (well, not really for those that were “hopefully expecting” this. But for those not-in-the-loop of some rumors going around, there is a feeling that this will be a wooden, launched coaster. When we heard the new coaster would be in the price range of Wild Eagle, we had assumed it would be a steel coaster due to steel costing more than wooden coasters…BUT the launch mechanism and some of the rumored features of the new coaster will definitely push that price tag up. Another thing that would push the price tag up is if it’s going to be a dueling, launching coaster (this is just my personal, hopeful consideration…I haven’t heard anything hinting at that…yet). This also leads us to assume that Rocky Mountain Construction is involved since they specialize in extremely awesome wooden coasters (they designed Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City). We have not “confirmed” Rocky Mountain Construction’s involvement yet, but the pieces are lining up now that we’ve heard it will be a wooden coaster."

Tennessee Tornado's area may look "trashy" to fit the tornado theme. It also uses the same buildings and loading stations from the Thunder Express coaster from 1989.

It's going to be very difficult to make any additions to a wooded and hilly park like Dollywood without removing some trees. Unfortunately that means new additions and park growth or keeping the park enclosed with trees.

Dollywood does their part with conservation efforts, like the American Chestnut Tree Project, and does seem to respect the natural beauty of the area.

I wasn't referring to the theming, I was referring to the games and the arcade underneath the station. It all just looks cheap and tacky in a park that otherwise keeps very good attention to immersive & general atmosphere detail.

To be more clear on some of what I was getting at on the trees: look at the area around the splash battle. That pathway is solid when it could have been broken up by tree islands, and there are a lot of bushes planted around that could have been trees. There's no reason why there couldn't be a tree canopy there except that it's more costly to build and maintain so they didn't go that route. It's not a complaint, per se, it's just one of those little things I think is worth pointing out and talking about once in awhile so that some guest input can guide their methodology before it completely fades off.

As far as the coaster talk goes... I'm still trying to figure out if these rumors are being leaked to build hype, or if it's the same rumor being echoed around by the fanboy-sphere. A launched RMC could be interesting, but honestly it's not necessarily something that would excite me the most. I'd really like to see them get something big, reliable, and timeless. Thunderhead and Mystery Mine have gotten rough, and Wild Eagle just didn't really do it for me. I don't think a launched wooden coaster will be an enticing gimmick compared to Carowinds' growing coaster collection. What they need is a well-designed hyper/giga coaster over the parking lots to rival Fury and Intimidator.

A launched RMC could be interesting, but honestly it's not necessarily something that would excite me the most. I'd really like to see them get something big, reliable, and timeless. Thunderhead and Mystery Mine have gotten rough, and Wild Eagle just didn't really do it for me. I don't think a launched wooden coaster will be an enticing gimmick compared to Carowinds' growing coaster collection. What they need is a well-designed hyper/giga coaster over the parking lots to rival Fury and Intimidator.

Dollywood will probably not get a hyper coaster and here is why. The only coaster that Dollywood has gotten that has been visible from the lots/road is Wild Eagle and that's because flying in the sky and being up on that ridge fit them theme of the ride. If you slam a 300ft tall coaster in that valley with nothing but various hills, it's going to be a huge eyesore, and I even think there's a local law against that. They have to keep the image of the main attraction (The Smoky Mountains) perfect in every way they can. Wild Eagle is hidden in the Summer besides the tops in a few areas.

As far as this coaster goes I can see a dueling launching RMC, that would be crazy to see it do a high five over that hill dropping back into the valley. Just trying to keep my mind around dragsters, hot rods and the 50's. Racing and showing your car off was huge back then. Don't know why this image of a Thunder Road-esque backstory keeps in my mind.

To be more clear on some of what I was getting at on the trees: look at the area around the splash battle. That pathway is solid when it could have been broken up by tree islands, and there are a lot of bushes planted around that could have been trees. There's no reason why there couldn't be a tree canopy there except that it's more costly to build and maintain so they didn't go that route. It's not a complaint, per se, it's just one of those little things I think is worth pointing out and talking about once in awhile so that some guest input can guide their methodology before it completely fades off.

As far as the coaster talk goes... I'm still trying to figure out if these rumors are being leaked to build hype, or if it's the same rumor being echoed around by the fanboy-sphere. A launched RMC could be interesting, but honestly it's not necessarily something that would excite me the most. I'd really like to see them get something big, reliable, and timeless. Thunderhead and Mystery Mine have gotten rough, and Wild Eagle just didn't really do it for me. I don't think a launched wooden coaster will be an enticing gimmick compared to Carowinds' growing coaster collection. What they need is a well-designed hyper/giga coaster over the parking lots to rival Fury and Intimidator.

I can see what you're saying about the area around River Battle. That's the newest area in the park. They did major earthwork to make that path happen. If there were tree islands like you suggest, I would have to think they would be narrow and skinny, and may get in the way more than they would add, but I suppose there's some way to work that out. They have added some shade sails and misting equipment to help add some escape from the sun. I notice more changes in WP from year to year than any other area in the park.

And then, i'm totally not getting your suggestion for a parking lot coaster. For me, that is the worst infraction that a park can make - expanding over the parking lot with coasters and not removing the pavement or parking line paint. Specifically, See: Scream at SFMM. Especially with all the available land they own. But as I thought about that more, maybe you're referring to the fact that Dollywood does not have a "coaster skyline" that you see at pretty much every other park.?. I agree though that a hyper would be awesome...I love love love Diamondback - I could ride that all day and night. I could see one at DW one day. They have hundreds of acres of space to expand if they want. The B&Ms are very reliable and they move a lot of people...so many advantages. A combo B&M that is both airtime and speed...a morphed diamondback-fury325 would be amazing. Maybe the first half of the ride is speed focused, 2nd half airtime focused...in order to make it more unique.

DWlover20 - they can get a variance from the planning commission to do whatever they want. B/c they are the main economy driver for the area, the commission is going to go along with it. In fact, there was a planning commission meeting maybe two months ago for Shot Rod that we discussed on here, but we didn't learn any new info from what I recall.

Yup, they usually let Dollywood do whatever they want, especially if it brings more people to the area!!! They bring a lot of people into the area and it has always been of my opinion that they are also one of the major reasons the great smoky mountain national park is the most traveled park..

So yeah they keep Dollywood happy and I would bet money they would allow them to build a 200 - 300 ft coaster if they wanted

the GSMNP (smokeys) was the most visited long before Dollywood showed up to the party, so I don't think they have the "get out of jail free" card that some think they might. They are part of the overall package, but not the driving reason that park is the most visited - look at its positioning in relation to the nation's population core for example - that factors in a lot.

BIG TIP!

I added Hint #12 to my growing list of hints about the new coaster at http://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/things-to-do/new-dollywood-roller-coaster-in-2016/

Here ya go!

"So I got word from a very reliable source that the new coaster is going to be wooden! So boy howdy does this change things (well, not really for those that were “hopefully expecting” this. But for those not-in-the-loop of some rumors going around, there is a feeling that this will be a wooden, launched coaster. When we heard the new coaster would be in the price range of Wild Eagle, we had assumed it would be a steel coaster due to steel costing more than wooden coasters…BUT the launch mechanism and some of the rumored features of the new coaster will definitely push that price tag up. Another thing that would push the price tag up is if it’s going to be a dueling, launching coaster (this is just my personal, hopeful consideration…I haven’t heard anything hinting at that…yet). This also leads us to assume that Rocky Mountain Construction is involved since they specialize in extremely awesome wooden coasters (they designed Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City). We have not “confirmed” Rocky Mountain Construction’s involvement yet, but the pieces are lining up now that we’ve heard it will be a wooden coaster."

Although it is not confirmed, I'd be willing to bet that if any manufacturer would tackle a launch on a wooden coaster, it would be RMC. It'll probably be LSM as well. I am looking forward to August.

BIG TIP!

Here ya go!

Neither have I, Neither have I...

BIG TIP!

Here ya go!

Hmm I think you have So I am just going to go and say a RMC Dueling Launch or a Steeling Dueling Launch, probably RMC Dueling Launch. Because of the fact that you mentioned a few posts ago that you "couldn't wait to ride ONE of them"

I really doubt there's enough space for two coasters there, as cool as that would be. Whatever source you have, I don't believe it. Don't get your hopes up!

There's NO way... I will put all my money on it being a single track!

Not saying that I couldn't see a dueling ride, actually I could see it, but I don't think it makes sense for Dollywood. The park's coasters never have too bad of a line so I feel like if there was a dueling coaster the capacity would be so great there would be a nonexistent line a lot of the time. With this being the only coaster in the front of the park it may get a bit more of a line I suppose, but I don't think the demand is there financially to install a dueling coaster. However, they need a dueling Smoky Mountain River Rampage since it draws the longest line in the park during the summer by far.