TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^^Probably so, probably so. I'm still wondering why Wild Eagle was so uncomfortable for me. I was having cold/allergy symptoms that day, so that could have been some of it. I was thinking at the time that they simply rushed to get the first wing coaster and didn't get the best design, but objectively speaking it should be pretty solid. Maybe it'll be better next time I visit.

prozach626, it's not a question of being pleased or not, I'm simply bantering on the merits of DW taking another swing at something moderately new in the coaster world. I agree that it will probably be good, but you've got to admit there's a degree of risk for the park.

So not to get off topic, but I'm taking the family down to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge on July 6th. We're meeting some family friends from the area. Couple quick questions for the locals:

Is there discounted tickets at grocery stores like we find up here in Ohio?

Weekdays in July, generally, what are they like?

Hold off on their Q2Q/Timesaver thing?

Any other tips and tricks to help us out?

Thanks!

So not to get off topic, but I'm taking the family down to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge on July 6th. We're meeting some family friends from the area. Couple quick questions for the locals:

Thanks!

I have been planning for our trip to Dollywood in August and have also been looking for ways to save money on tickets. All that I've managed to find is if you buy a large drink in Pigeon Forge McDonalds then you can get $5 off per ticket for up to 4 people. Not a huge saving but every little helps I guess!

I think they may have meant the first wing in North America?

lol, yes - I was talking about the first in US title that they are still proud of. The pictures are cool though.

Anyway, who's going to take bets on shuttle vs. full circuit layout? I'd assume they'll go full-circuit due to the topography, but a shuttle layout could make it seem more modern and it's always useful to market the backwards aspect. I'd prefer full circuit just for the option of three train operations.

I think they may have meant the first wing in North America?

lol, yes - I was talking about the first in US title that they are still proud of. The pictures are cool though.

Anyway, who's going to take bets on shuttle vs. full circuit layout? I'd assume they'll go full-circuit due to the topography, but a shuttle layout could make it seem more modern and it's always useful to market the backwards aspect. I'd prefer full circuit just for the option of three train operations.

There's no way this won't be full circuit. I'm also expecting an inclined launch.

I personally am hoping for full circut for capacity's sake and also I'm not a huge fan of shuttle coasters.

Thanks!

I don't know about this year but usually Food City has some kind of promotion for Dollywood. I have found promotions for Dollywood at Food City's 5 hours away from Pigeon Forge before.

Is it safe to say that this ride will be a Topper Tracker? Doesn't RMC only create brand new rides utilizing this? Their online website hints it might be so.

So far, yes. The I-Box has been used on all their rebuilds, and all their new construction has been Topper Track. That doesn't mean it must be so, only that it thus far has been so.

Thanks!

Some good info here:

dollywood.com's trip tips

Awesome news about RMC building a coaster at Dollywood. Finally, a RMC close to where I live...Looking forward to it!

Also, to that person in this forum saying that Dollywood hasn't been creative? Are you an idiot? Cause that sounds like something an idiot would say...Just saying.

Who said DW was uncreative? I don't think I've ever read that before... anywhere.

As for the track, I'm fairly confident they'll use the custom RMC "wood" coaster track, same as Outlaw Run. It's not simply topper track IIRC, it's like some sort of glulam beam with a topper track thing on top. This allows them to construct rails off-site and install them in pieces instead of having a continuous set of overlapping planks all around the track like on traditional wood coasters. I don't think that innovation has ever gotten enough love - it's a game changer for wooden coaster construction.

While I do see Dollywood going the Topper Track direction, ever since I seen Twisted Colussus I have been in love with the I Box track just for the fact of how it seems to be able to do almost anything. I just hope this coaster goes fast, you know at a speed where you realize it. Dollywood has been lacking that lately. Mystery Mine seems faster than Wild Eagle to me on the final drop. The fastest coaster in Dollywood is Tennessee Tornado and you feel it, that coaster packs a punch and has since '99. A combo of speed, inversions, and near misses would satisfy everyone. Well, except for the people who constantly beg for non stop family rides at Dollywood and complain about the coasters (Yes I see them all the time on Facebook).

While I do see Dollywood going the Topper Track direction, ever since I seen Twisted Colussus I have been in love with the I Box track just for the fact of how it seems to be able to do almost anything.

It looks like topper track can do pretty much anything, as well!

Photo from the park index: