TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

We are planning our trip to Dollywood. This will be my first. We're either planning for May 30 and 31 or June 13 and 14. Quick question... I got a free pass at Carowinds' WWU. Technically, can I use this pass on that Saturday after 3:00 and also use the same pass the entire next day?

Thanks! Any other pointers?

We are planning our trip to Dollywood. This will be my first. We're either planning for May 30 and 31 or June 13 and 14. Quick question... I got a free pass at Carowinds' WWU. Technically, can I use this pass on that Saturday after 3:00 and also use the same pass the entire next day?

Yes. Any ticket scanned for entry after 3PM is valid the next operating day.

Don't buy bottled water.. All food/drink vendors give free cups of water on request. Always with a smile and never complain about it.. I found this tip online one year posted on Dollywoods website. Ice water.. About 12 - 16 ounce cups. This alone saves me $10 - $15 a trip plus I feel better not drinking nearly as much soda..

Also the after 3:00 free thing doesn't work sometimes when they are open late like Christmas or Great American Summer.. I know one year for Christmas anyone who arrived after 4:00 got in free the next day.. So it really depends, it'll be something you might want to call and ask if the park is open late the night you plan to visit.. By late I mean 9:00+

I don't believe great american summer starts until July though so it shouldn't be an issue

Also one other note.. Some "free tickets" don't receive a free visit even if used after 3:00.. I know a few years ago when I asked this about my free bring a friend pass that came with my season ticket.. I personally haven't ever used my bring a friend pass but just something worth noting.. It might actually work, not sure, its just what I was told..

Not sure what type of free ticket you received.. It might be something we consider a ticket but Dollywood considers a free pass..

As long as its a scannable ticket with a barcode, it'll work. The current promotion is after 3, next day free, you're right that the time changes for Christmas time but the park doesn't open until 2 during many days that time of the year.

The reason it's next day free after 3 is because as of right now Dollywood is open until like 7 or 8 ish? What is a person going to do during those short hours and how are they going to enjoy themselves. That's why they do that. It's a really good deal though. Most people were using it during the summer though so I don't think it would work during the summer now. I could be wrong though.

The next day free after 3 option is available through October 31. The difference in your selected dates is that May 30-31 the park is open from 10-9 on Saturday and 10-7 on Sunday and is in the middle of the BBQ and Blue Grass festival, whereas June 13-14 is the opening weekend for the Great American Summer and the park will be open from 10-10 both days.

We've confirmed our hotel room for June 13-14. Can't wait for my first trip. What does everyone think for 'best seat' on each coaster?

Mystery Mine front row, FireChaser Express back row for airtime, Wild Eagle is good in the back or front. Thunderhead and Tennessee Tornado don't really have a bad seat.

What does everyone think for 'best seat' on each coaster?

Thunderhead - back

Wild Eagle - front right side

Mystery Mine - front

Blazing Fury - front or back

Tornado - back

Firechaser - back

Sideshow Spin - anywhere

Mystery Mine- Front, if you can arrange and get the Front sides you can look off the edges in the indoor sections and see unseen things, be closer to the theming, and the turns will be more intense.

Wild Eagle- Try each side at least once. 4th row and up and your best seats

Thunderhead- back for speed, front to avoid the bit of whiplash

Tennessee Tornado- back for hang time on the loops, front for speed.

I've got a feeling that they will eventually expanded the park to that area and then up to the train loop but right now their focused on the lower section of the park but what I find strange is that usually got banners up giving us hints about the new ride but what ever the ride will be it looks like it will really interact with the terrain

Just behind the hill they are clearing there is an area where they normally keep a bunch of construction equipment. This is an old Google Earth photo obviously, but I circled the area just behind the hill and out-of-view from the park. This would make the most sense for where they'll load all of the track and equipment for this project. I'll be heading over there this weekend to see if I can get some updates.

Tour_Guide_and_Google_Earth.thumb.jpg.e61d4281a1333d00e489b82dcebc18f0.jpg

Really don't think we will start seeing track before we start seeing footers so we still have some time to go. Like 2-3 months. But...what do I know !

I think you know all about this coaster and you love watching us go back and fourth over it. I've found out on Twitter that there are a few people who know all about the 2016 project. Sadly I'm not one I just would like to know when a new teaser will be coming out or when something even a tiny bit will be mentioned.