TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

When are they supposed to announce again?

Jarmor mentioned something about an ACE event this summer at Dollywood...maybe then.

Wild Eagle was announced at a Labor day event in Knoxville. Fire Chaser was announced in late summer 2013 when they announced the DreamMore Resort and the $300 million/10 year plan...so there is no consistency in their announcements, except they did say at the 10 year plan announcement they would make future announcements later in the year...which to me means August to December.

When are they supposed to announce again?

Jarmor mentioned something about an ACE event this summer at Dollywood...maybe then.

Wild Eagle was announced at a Labor day event in Knoxville. Fire Chaser was announced in late summer 2013 when they announced the DreamMore Resort and the $300 million/10 year plan...so there is no consistency in their announcements, except they did say at the 10 year plan announcement they would make future announcements later in the year...which to me means August to December.

I mention the winter warm up, ACE event will take place at dollywood next year. I **think"" a longer version of the video is gonna be played at no coaster con. There hasn't been a date for the announcement, that I know of, announced. I know there will be teasers like mystery mine...which we have already gotten one.

Jarmor, I know you have a feeling this is going to be a steel launched coaster (Mack), but if I were to guess, I would put all of my money on 2016 being RMCs first launched wooden coaster. I think the big indication is the major success of Outlaw Run. I have a feeling DW wants to take this worlds first claim before RMC builds another launched coaster somewhere else.

Edited by chickenbowl

I think if it is launched it will be like Cheetah Hunt. Tell me that wouldn't be perfect for Dollywood. I think we can count out anything too intense.

I disagree, I'm expecting them to go for high thrills. Big thrill rides have the most marketing impact, and that's what they want here to respond to Carowinds and kick off the resort. In any case, you can never count out anything with DW (or the rest of HFEC) until the official announcement comes.

I'm not sold on the launched RMC yet, I still feel like they'd go for a tried-and-true all steel coaster. A launched wooden coaster sounds like a gimmick, and I don't think the concept would test well with GP focus groups. Of course the ride would turn out awesome, but again, marketing. I'm not dismissing the idea though.

^I don't know, "World's First Launched Wooden Coaster" sounds like a marketable title to me.

Or like others have mentioned, possibly dueling too!

"Worlds First/Only Terrian Launched Dueling Inverting Wooden Coaster" This coaster is sounding like that classic TPR joke we've had for years! (let's just put floor less, stand up trains on it now, lol) There's a lot of marketing opportunities for this hypothetical coaster. DW said they had a 2016 budget larger than Wild Eagle, right? If they are spending over $20 million, they can essentially buy two Outlaw Runs ($10 million) and have some money left over. They can build the largest and most ambitious wooden coaster ever with that budget!! I can't wait to see what actually gets built. Knowing Dollywood, I don't think we will be disappointed.

DW said they had a 2016 budget larger than Wild Eagle, right? If they are spending over $20 million, they can essentially buy two Outlaw Runs ($10 million) and have some money left over. They can build the largest and most ambitious wooden coaster ever with that budget!!.

Can we just do that? Anyone have a problem with the largest and most ambitious wooden coaster ever, that weaves around an existing mountain and undeveloped forest? No? Okay the ayes have it then.

I think if it is launched it will be like Cheetah Hunt. Tell me that wouldn't be perfect for Dollywood. I think we can count out anything too intense.

Dollywood just built Firechaser Express...the perfect family coaster. It's time for a big thrill and that's what we're going to get.

There's some video of parts of the new entrance plaza...so you can see some new concrete. No details about the coaster, but this station plans on doing more stories leading up to the opening in March. I'll post them as they come out. Watch the video at the link.

www.local8now.com/home/headlines/Dollywood-prepares-to-celebrate-30th-season-290720301.html

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A major mile stone comes for Dollywood when the theme park opens next month-- they'll celebrate the 30th season since hometown girl Dolly Parton put her name on it.

"This was always a great dream of mine. If I did well, that I'd do something like this to have a place to come and bring honor to my family. So it's always good to be here and see how we grow and keep up with the times. I love that," said Parton.

On May 3, 1986, Dollywood opened on the site formerly known as Silver Dollar City. It was a partnership with the Herschend Family Entertainment who owned the park before 1986.

Employees who've been with the park since opening remember how the crowds piled in to see their favorite star.

"That first season it exploded," said Morgan Duckworth, current grounds manager. "Ran out of food, ran out of everything, had to bring in restrooms."

Duckworth has worked on this site, since 1980, when it was Silver Dollar City. He said before 1986 if the park had a thousand visitors in a day it was doing well.

Dollywood expanded immediately. Duckworth says it had to to keep up with the crowds.

"At that time it was just what's Rivertown now, The valley, the Village, and country fair. That was all the park. So you get 15,000 people in that little area it was crowded," he said.

Dollywood's first expansion added Rivertown Junction, where a replica stands of Dolly's Tennessee Mountain home.

During the expansion, one of Dollywood's first employees was hired. Johnnie Crawford remembers watching Dolly perform across the street from her work in Knoxville. She remembers watching Dolly perform outside of Cas Walker's store and it caught her eye.

When she found out Dolly was opening Dollywood she immediately retired and went back to work. For the little girl she once watched perform.

"I really didn't think I'd be this big. But I knew anything dolly would have anything to do with it was going some place, it was going up," said Crawford.

Dollywood grew from that first season with about 500 employees to nearly 2,500 in 2015 in peak season. The park plans to add to the payrolls with the opening of DreamMore Resort this summer.

Parton says part of her dream was to help create jobs for the family and friends in Sevier County.

"That was part of our dream of course Pigeon Forge they had a few things at that time, now they're really great. We've all grown together. I can't say I've caused anything. I hope if there's anything we've done that helped out that's great," said Parton.

Kyle Grainger has a series of reports that will air on WVLT Local 8 News and on Local8now.com leading up to Dollywood's 30th Season opening in March.

Not that my opinion counts, but if I were to hazard a guess. Outlaw run might have been a test run for DPHF. It cost $10 million and is a huge hit. What if Dollywood builds a $15-20 million dollar RMC in the style of the Beast, but RMC style. They seem to have lots of wooded area to use. A tall RMC with tons of low to the ground crazy twisty sections through the woods would be a huge draw. Imagine what RMC could do.

Also the idea of a launched wooden coaster has no appeal to me. Launched coasters are typically shorter and the feeling of going over a steep drop like El Toro is incomparable.

Not that my opinion counts, but if I were to hazard a guess. Outlaw run might have been a test run for DPHF. It cost $10 million and is a huge hit. What if Dollywood builds a $15-20 million dollar RMC in the style of the Beast, but RMC style. They seem to have lots of wooded area to use. A tall RMC with tons of low to the ground crazy twisty sections through the woods would be a huge draw. Imagine what RMC could do.

Also the idea of a launched wooden coaster has no appeal to me. Launched coasters are typically shorter and the feeling of going over a steep drop like El Toro is incomparable.

I completely agree with this post. I love the Beast, and I'd LOVE to see an RMC take on it. I think the idea of an RMC launched woodie is pretty damn overzealous.

I dont think we will see a reincarnation of the beast ever. That coaster sprawls over 35 acres of land...right? what park would want to do that? Why build a coaster with two lifts when you can build two coasters with one lift. I would love to see a reincarnation of dueling dragons but with a really modern coaster twist!

I dont think we will see a reincarnation of the beast ever. That coaster sprawls over 35 acres of land...right? what park would want to do that? Why build a coaster with two lifts when you can build two coasters with one lift. I would love to see a reincarnation of dueling dragons but with a really modern coaster twist!

I guess a better description of the concept I am going for is a Beast/The Voyage hybrid but by RMC. Sprawling, lots of airtime, close to the ground. I think if executed properly it would be world class. I haven't been to the park myself (I'll be visiting this year). But with my amateur degree in Google maps, there is quite a lot of land surrounding the park. At this point I am just dreaming though. We won't know for a few weeks.

Also, Dragon Challenge is 15 years old...wow.

DreamMore Resort update:

Video and pictures at link.

www.local8now.com/home/headlines/Construction-tour-shows-new-details-of-DreamMore-Resort-291582821.html?device=tablet&c=y

New renderings released by Dollywood show areas families can spend time together by the pool.

"We're driving more tourism. The businesses in the area are benefiting, retail is benefiting, the national park is. So that's our vision long term is showcasing the Smokies as an increadible vacation destination for families." - Amy Owenby, VP of Hospitality, Dollywood

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Dollywood's DreamMore Resort unveiled new renderings of the pool area where families can spend time together while staying at the resort.

During a construction tour for members of the media, Dollywood gave a sample of how rooms will be laid out in the resort and how that will help families relax.

"The reveal, of course, will be the three story windows that overlook Splash Country and Mt. LeConte," said Amy Owenby, VP of Hospitality for Dollywood, as she led the tour into the lobby.

Owenby released information about the 4,000 square foot pool that will greet guests outside.

On one end of the resort pool, water cascades from a gentle waterfall just outside the lobby’s three-story windows. On the other end, a zero-entry swimming pool allows families to wade right in as the entry gradually slopes from the deck into the water, just like a natural pond or lake. Meanwhile, a second waterfall featuring a “lazy stream” offers swimmers another alcove to splash and dip. Resort guests can paddle, float or play in depths up to five feet.

In addition to the pool, there’s an interactive family splash pad for more water fun. And even details like the pool patio are not forgotten— sunbathers can soak in rays, but landscaping also provides shady spots throughout the area so the experience is enjoyable for everyone.

Owenby said the rooms are designed for families large and small. She says they paid special attention to details in a modern age, like making sure there are enough outlets to plug in electronic devices.

Owenby says she expects a new website and call center to launch in March. At that time, guests will be able to find out about rates and a multitude of amenities.

"I think guests are going to be really excited when we release that information," said Owenby.

DreamMore Resort is expected to open in late spring or early summer of 2015.