TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I wonder if this accident happened at night? The Waltzing Swinger doesn’t have a lighting package on it and its dark around the ride. There’s one floodlight near the operators booth - tacky. Honestly, It looks terrible without the lighting package, and it’s a safety concern as well, being so dark. Also, when its dark you can’t really tell if the ride is open unless you see it running or people walking around the ride area. This is a missed opportunity for Dollywood to not have a lighting package on a ride, and a safety issue too.

Honestly I am disappointed in most of the fair area, especially at night.. Its supposed to feel like a country fair but there aren't enough lights like you said..

With Dollywood bring open so late during the summer months and then open late for Christmas it would be great if every ride down there was nice and bright! With tons of flashing lights just like the fair..

Just my two cents haha.. I didn't even visit the country fair area any this summer. Haven't in a while

I don't care for that entire "County Fair" section of the park to be honest. It looks cheap and not even close to being on the same level as the rest of the park.

As much as I love everything else about Dollywood that area doesn't fit in at all. I understand the need for it since there are only (correct me of I'm wrong) 3 flat rides in the park outside of County Fair (if you count Lumberjack Lifts as a ride) but it could really use some work. It's not awful but the rest of the park sets such a high standard for aesthetics that County Fair just doesn't fit.

This year when we went for SMC we didn't even bother with it and that's saying something since the rest of the park consists of 7 rides that we have any interest in in the winter with the water rides closed (Blazing Fury, Tennessee Tornado, Thunderhead, Firechaser, Wild Eagle, Mystery Mine and Barnstormer).

EDIT: ^ Looks like dstephe9 and I are on the same page.

^^^Agree 100%. All those rides need appropriate ride lighting...the Scrambler, Dizzy Disk, Ferris Wheel - every thing in Country Fair needs a lighting package. The entire area looks awful and sad at night. Get Rid of the Industrial Level Floodlights!!!!!!!! And that goes for River Rampage too, for Summer Nights.

The country fair could be a nice area if they worked on it but yeah I didn't even visit it this year either and last season only visited it once.. It used to be my goto place! Lol

If it felt more authentic like the rest of the park it might be a lot more fun.

It also needs more space! On a summer day it gets very crowded and cramped in that area. Makes me want to visit it even less haha

But little things like the ride lighting would really help it feel more authentic.. Heck even the little roadside amusement parks in the area have appropriate lighting lol

Look for revamping to happen first in Jukebox Junction in 2016. Cas Walker's store was virtually empty having a 50% off sale on the last operating day of the 2014 season, when I was there this past Saturday. The clerk indicated the store would not be reopening for the 2015 season. The rumor about the adjacent Rockin Roadway 50's car ride having it's last operating season in 2015 is also still heavily circulating through park's grapevine. Looks like we will be seeing some major changes happening in this section over the next 2 seasons, including a possible relocation of Cas Walker's. However, during this 2½ month off season, I do hope we see some noticeable new GPI when the park reopens in March, with some love & refreshing given to Country Fair. Perhaps a major announcement for a new ride in 2016 will reveal more about a "new" Jukebox Junction...

From Screamscape:

2016 - New Attraction - Planned - (10/24/14) Big things are in the works for Dollywood in 2016. According to a statement from Craig Ross, President of The Dollywood Company, the park will make a huge announcement next year about a major 2016 attraction described as “one of the biggest single attraction additions in our 30-year history for 2016.”

Edited by DollyWould

I know jukebox junction is in need of work but just two years ago there where big plans of Dollywood expanding up to the train loop in the next 10 years.

I would think Dollywood would want to do their expansion before any major revamps of already existing areas.

They can easily fix up and make areas look better without a major revamp though..

In the fair area a new coat of paint and lights would go a very very long way and doesn't cost what a major revamp or even retheming of an area would cost.

Dollywood will be debuting a new music festival event for its 30th Anniversary season next year, one that the park hopes will grow for years to come:

DOLLYWOOD INTRODUCES NEW SUMMERTIME FESTIVAL – ROCK THE SMOKIES

Theme Park Worship Experience Combines Thrills and Compelling Celebration

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (January 7, 2015)—Come experience a rocking worship experience Dollywood-style as we Rock the Smokies during the theme park’s newest Christian Music Festival, featuring Third Day and For King & Country. More artists will be announced soon! Dollywood is partnering with Premier Festivals to produce a powerful Christian rock experience in Dollywood’s Celebrity Theater. The day-long celebration provides time for both thrill rides and a Christian Festival for one great price.

Organizers anticipate Rock the Smokies will be an energizing event for festival-goers, student ministries and families to spiritually reconnect and recharge as the summer comes to a close. Rock the Smokies is set for Labor Day Weekend: Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015. For a complete lineup of festival performances, announcement of artists and show times, please visit rockthesmokies.com.

Admission to Dollywood, along with a reserved festival ticket is included with purchase of a Rock the Smokies ticket. Additional Christian Artists will be performing to the general public throughout the park. Discount prices are available for groups and those who purchase tickets early. There will even be VIP packages available to meet the band and take pictures. Tickets for Rock the Smokies go on sale in February.

Link: Dollywood Press Release

Dollywood has had festivals centered around bluegrass and gospel music for years now, but this is the park's first real foray into the world of contemporary Christian music.

I am very excited about that festival.. Premier used to put this festival on at six flags over ga until the new water park. (Waterpark took over their theater) Sounds like the same festival.. I'd expect tickets to be $20 preordered if you have a season pass and if not it'll include park tickets just like at six flags.. $25 at the gate if you already have a Dollywood ticket.. Normally very low priced for a festival like this

Just speculation but I used to go to premier festivals at parks before and that's normally the cost.. They do a great job!

When they first announced it I was curious if it was going to be included for free. I doubted it and this answers that question. Still worth the price though!!

I was hoping last year that Dollywood would pick this festival up after six flags dropped it!

Looks like the two headliners for this year are named! Two years ago, the last one six flags did the headliners where Red and Casting Crowns with bands like hawk nelson, flame, and several others opening..

Festival was from like 4 - after closing while morning was for rides.. Its always neat leaving the park after closing

Looks like Dollywood will have other smaller acts for free around the park

Please note that the format I listed above is for a similar now defunct premier festival that six flags put on two years ago

The indoor theater is kind of a bummer though but that's the biggest place for it in Dollywood.. I loved sitting out at six flags after dark hearing and seeing the coasters while rock music played the night away

Silver Dollar City has had a similar event each year in the spring for some time now. I didn't realize DW didn't have one, as it's an easy way to turn an otherwise mediocre-performing weekend for the park into a major spectacle. Expect it to be a packed out weekend with thousands of little teenaged brats running around unsupervised.

Silver Dollar City has had a similar event each year in the spring for some time now. I didn't realize DW didn't have one, as it's an easy way to turn an otherwise mediocre-performing weekend for the park into a major spectacle. Expect it to be a packed out weekend with thousands of little teenaged brats running around unsupervised.

Yeah, but at least they will all be infected by the Holy Spirit.

When six flags had it, they had the longest lines I have ever seen in the morning! Even with a flash pass half the rides said "full"

I think if they incorporated the village and country fair together into one larger themed area it would be stronger. Relocate the heart song show to a more secluded cave-like entrance theatre in craftsman valley (or eliminate altogether) and revamp the theatre interior to look like a library to tie into imagination library. Still present the shows there for kids. The magic shop/show is all randy heavily family oriented, the carousel is there, the toy shop with trains, a pizza place, a train station-all very kid friendly ideas are already in thus area. Rename the area Imagination Station to tie into the train station. Open up an additional circulation path down to Country Fair to improve flow and visually tie all the areas together with a brighter paint scheme in the former village.

Advertise "Fair today" in the village area to tie the two together as well. Maybe the fair arrived via train and there could even be a couple of "circus animal" cars parked in the fair area on a spur line. These could even be a dining or QS food option.

There still needs to be a good use for the old inventors mansion at the top of the hill. This could be such a main focal for this area. Even if it went back to being a wacky fun house like the mayors of Imagination Station's home.

I also love the idea of a dark ride where stories come to life. Maybe the old house is the town library that you enter through and it hides the show building for the ride. I'm sure a publisher that Dolly works with to get books for the Imagination Library could step up and be a great sponsor.

Overall the area does need better lighting and a general cleaning up. Something to bring more energy to the area. I was disappointed to see planters in front of dizzy disk two years ago rotting out and this past year still rotting out with fresh plantings. They have to see these things when they plant why don't they fix? It's like they know they gave bigger plans for here and don't want to sink the resources now.

^I have always felt they should do something with the Inventor's Mansion building as well. It isn't in very good shape, although parts of it was used for that coaster museum a couple of years ago, so they have at least rehabbed some of it.

^I have always felt they should do something with the Inventor's Mansion building as well. It isn't in very good shape, although parts of it was used for that coaster museum a couple of years ago, so they have at least rehabbed some of it.

I always thought that would be a great place for some kind of transportation gondola sky ride. Use it as a hub to move people between the entrance area, Rivertown/County Fair, and Wilderness Pass.

• 2 weeks later...
*fingers crossed* RMC's first launched woodie.

I dunno...would they be able to theme it up? When I think of jukebox junction, I think of a era where drag racing was at an all time high! I think if dollywood is gonna launch a new attraction in that area it would be something that would fit the area more. Im just speculating here...dont wanna add too much fuel to the FIRE

Edited by jarmor

Are you suggesting a launched Mack similar to Blue Fire? If I recall correctly before Firechaser was announced some Dollywood officials were at Europa park checking out that coaster.

Though that would be exciting, super exciting actually, I'm really hoping Dollywood gets an RMC Woodie soon, after riding Outlaw Run this summer I'm convinced every park should have one of these amazing coasters. Also how great would a white wooden structure with with blue or red track look in Jukebox Junction?

^ That's exactly what I am suggesting! May not be so similar to blue fire but im thinking a mack launched multi looper so to speak. Look for teasing to start soon and we will know for SURE by the end of the season...

Today I saw "something" that makes me focus my attention to jukebox junction ! Never know what may be "launching" over there in 2016...

Sweet but what did ya see? Did u go to the park for something (I know they are closed but they normally hire and have auditions and other things this time of year).. Or was it on Facebook or twitter? I looked but couldn't find it haha

Super excited if they make a big boy launched coaster [emoji1]