TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Worst Traffic in the US....

robbalvey

Forbes.com just released some figures with the worst traffic in the US. And guess what city was #1?

1. Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Calif.

2. San Francisco, Oakland, Calif.

3. Washington, D.C.

4. Atlanta

5. Houston

6. Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Tex.

7. Chicago.

8. Detroit

9. Riverside, San Bernardino, Calif.

9. Orlando, Fla.

11. San Jose, Calif.

12. San Diego

California has a decided edge in winning the award for the worst traffic, since five of its cities (or city regions) make the top 12 list. Several of the cities mentioned are well known as trucking, rail, air and sometimes sea hubs for logistics. The convergence of services taxes the infrastructure.

California sucks!!!!

--Robb "Even Orlando is on the top ten list!" Alvey

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really surprised not to see Phoenix on there. I loathed driving to the airport to pick up and drop off people because I had to cross downtown when I lived there.

Freaking Los Angeles is crazy. The traffic is bad, but the way they merge/unmerge 8 million highways within 5-7 miles is so flipping nuts. I don't envy anyone who has to drive around there.

The only traffic we have around these parts is when two semis are blocking both lanes of I-70 at 60 mph in a 65 zone.

Wow, I'm surprised NYC is not on that list! And wow, Chicago! It didn't seem that bad to me when I was there. But I wasn't driving during rush hour.

The worst traffic in Buffalo is between 4-6 pm. The worst delay I've ever been in was 15 minutes. That's one thing I love about Buffalo. The driving is so easy, because like twenty people live here.

The worst traffic in Buffalo is between 4-6 pm. The worst delay I've ever been in was 15 minutes. That's one thing I love about Buffalo. The driving is so easy, because like twenty people live here.

Probably helps that most of the cars are on blocks.

I made a wrong turn once coming out of customs at Buffalo. Ended up lost in a pretty sketchy area. Pretty much rolled right through every stop sign I got to.

I'm guessing New York isn't listed because they do have a lot of great Public transportation options.

I've seen a lot of these first hand. LA is consistantly the worst, but some of the worst one or two time rush hours I've ever seen have been in DC, Paris, and Chicago.

At least I know what I'm least looking forward to in the fall!

Manchester's traffic can be pretty bad, but the Metrolink has taken some of it off the roads, and the roadworks that Robb & I drove thru should be finished in the spring.

Worst traffic I've experienced is London in rush hour. An absolute nightmare getting anywhere.

^^LOL.... Did you take the Peace Bridge? Nice going!

I always cross @ the rainbow bridge... fastest customs, and no way of getting lost in the ghettos of niagara falls

Probably. I think I went as far as I could on the QEW before crossing. It was a few years ago.

All I know is that I made a left instead of a right. The next 30-45 minutes was spent in complete fear.

Then later I did the same thing in Lima, Ohio. Took a nice tour of the sketchy part of town.

I'm guessing New York isn't listed because they do have a lot of great Public transportation options.

I've seen a lot of these first hand. LA is consistantly the worst, but some of the worst one or two time rush hours I've ever seen have been in DC, Paris, and Chicago.

Ding ding ding, with regards to New York. The traffic does get pretty nasty especially on the Brooklyn Bridge when cops purposely park their cruisers to block a lane, during rush hour. Brooklyn-Queens Expressway can also get tied up, mainly due to the massive amounts of construction that is always happening on that road. Driving through the city is easy as long as you know which streets to use. Basically stay off of 42nd, 34th, and 23rd, and you'll be fine.

woot! Go Hotlanta, if we just drive a little faster (say 95 mph vs 85 mph) and cause more accidents, we can be #1!!! I don't want to wait in just 60 hours of traffic a year, let's strive for 100!! While we're at it, how about we NEVER finish construction on 285?? That would get us even closer to the top!!

- Joe, who avoids rush hour at all costs.

Wow, I'm surprised Philadelphia isn't on that list. I lived in Orlando and near Philly, and always thought traffic was much worse in Philly than in Orlando! Orlando is only bad if you take the Interstate like all the tourists do, whereas Philly no matter what rode I seem to take, I have to leave my house 5 hours before a flight (about an hour away) just to make sure I make it in time due to overturned trucks, random houses falling into the road, the 16 car pile up, random broken down car with buttloads of rubbernecking, or some other totally weird excuse. Top it all off with the fact that every rode except 95 is still only 2 lanes, and you've got problems all the time!

Wow, I'm surprised Philadelphia isn't on that list. I lived in Orlando and near Philly, and always thought traffic was much worse in Philly than in Orlando! Orlando is only bad if you take the Interstate like all the tourists do, whereas Philly no matter what rode I seem to take, I have to leave my house 5 hours before a flight (about an hour away) just to make sure I make it in time due to overturned trucks, random houses falling into the road, the 16 car pile up, random broken down car with buttloads of rubbernecking, or some other totally weird excuse. Top it all off with the fact that every rode except 95 is still only 2 lanes, and you've got problems all the time!

Wow, I'm surprised no cities in the North East were listed in the top 10. I know Hartford Traffic can be a pain sometimes, but the worst traffic in Connecticut is the area between New Haven and NYC on I-95. That's why I always tell people to take I-84 to get to SFNE.

Traffic in and around New York City is a pain in general...

oh yeah, and the traffic in Bangor, Maine. That damn moose, farm tractor and two cars always causes a traffic jam on the highway

Theres three types of people I hate in the world....

Ok, theres more than three, there are exactly 27. But that not the point and it doesn't help me prove my point. Let's just pretend there are three.

Oh, so anyway, there are three types of people I hate in this world.

#1 People who don't notice the airport built next to their house when they bought it, then complain that it's too loud.

#2 People who purchase a home next to a themepark that complain about the noise and looks of the park.

#3 People who get all pissy about having to give up their houses because they didn't realize that their new home was built next to a freeway and never thought that oneday they *might* have to widen it.

LA gets the worst traffic in the country becuase of people who resemble "types of people I don't like #3".

But hey, i only use the freeway on rare occasions, so it doent affect me too much!

wow! NYC represent! I was on" the Belt" ( southern LI, goes past Coney Island ) everyday for a job last month and it was absoloutly brutal somedays -we are talkin 25 min. rides that in traffic take 1 hour and 45 minutes. im suprised we arent up on that list.

I wonder how the 401 up here would compare to some of the freeways down there. I know it is one of the busiest freeways in the world and sometimes you might as well pack your lunch, dinner, tent, stove, etc as the traffic jams can't be a nightmare

The worst traffic I have personally witnessed would probably be in downtown London or Paris.....what a complete mess!