TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Interesting article about Knoebels, not a ton of new info but it is interesting how they will work out dealing with different guidelines in the two counties the park resides in.

Knoebels Summer Plans Still Uncertain

ELYSBURG — The re-opening of Knoebels Amusement Resort for its 94th season remains an uncertainty during the COVID-19 outbreak.

The state Department of Health indicated that amusement parks can operate in the green, or the final, phase of reopening, but the park is situated between Northumberland and Columbia counties. Northumberland has been in the yellow phase since May 8 and Columbia County since May 15, so it’s unlikely both counties will move to green at the same time.

“It’s tough to say what will happen,” said Knoebels Public Relations Manager Stacy Ososkie. “The business’s physical address is in Northumberland County. The challenge is half our rides and attractions are in one county and the other half in another.”

Roaring Creek divides the park in half. The main parking lot and popular rides like Impulse, the Grand Carousel and the Ferris Wheel are on the Columbia County side.

The earliest opening date for the amusement park is June 29, but that’s if it’s announced this week that Northumberland County has a planned date to enter the green phase, said Ososkie.

“We are gradually inviting back our full-time team to complete projects as permitted by state guidelines,” said Ososkie. “However, we’re doing so in a cautious manner, taking into account the unclear timeframe we have to prepare the park. Though some projects have resumed, much park prep remains on hold due to the uncertainly of when amusement parks will be permitted to open.”

Ososkie said the park is updating its calendar week by week at http://www.knoebels.com/TodayAtK.

Another question is the logistics of keeping park visitors socially distanced. The park is free admission with no gates or fences, so Knoebels does not keep a record of park attendance, only estimates based on cars in the parking lots.

“We have discussed options for managing attendance, but we haven’t made any definite decisions on that just yet,” said Ososkie.

The park has 2,300 employees during a typical year, including seasonal workers. Some have been re-hired through one in-person event before the shutdown. Two physical job fairs were canceled and employees were hired through virtual interviews, she said.

“Safety is always our top priority,” she said. “We don’t know what the requirements will be, but we’ll be prepared to follow them. We have a team planning and investigating operational adjustments for the park. We have 150 hand sanitizer stations that we will place around the park. We’re working on enhancing our cleaning and sanitizing routines.”

Buddy Knoebel, third generation owner and co-manager, said he looks forward to re-opening.

“I miss the people — seeing smiles on their faces and families enjoying time together,” he said. “I miss the sound of roller coasters, and the laughter as you travel throughout the park. I miss the interaction with our guests, and witnessing the results of our team’s efforts to make our guests happy. I miss the team who makes this all happen. The park is an outlet; people visit here to experience joy. It really all comes down to being about the people.”

New ride

The park’s new “Tornado” ride is still in Colorado where it was being manufactured. The 32-passenger ride will be located near the StratosFear. Visitors need to be 38 inches tall to ride Tornado with an adult, and 48 inches to ride alone.

“Prior to everything shutting down, we received a video of it being tested,” said Ososkie. “It seems to be in good shape. We believe it is a possibility to have it here this season.”

Other Knoebel businesses

The park’s related businesses are opened or will be opening soon with restrictions and precautions.

Three Ponds Golf Course opened May 1. Knoebel Lumber and Nickleplate Bar and Grill remained open as essential businesses with Nickleplate only offering takeout.

Lake Glory Campground reopened on May 22 and the park campground reopens June 11. There are reservations, she said.

“The amusement park is closed, but many families can still enjoy spending quality time together in the great outdoors,” said Ososkie.

The park’s social media page on Facebook is also keeping visitors and park enthusiasts engaged, she said.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Knoebels is absolutely one of my favorite places to visit. And it would take a lot for me to be steered away from returning (ie- ripping down Phoenix, and Twister, replacing the bumper cars with stand

It's definitely not for this season.  There are pictures of it on Reddit and it's in extremely rough condition.  I don't see any way it's operating this year.  Hopefully that means Knoebels is plannin

Apparently a Bayern Kurve attraction on a trailer was spotted at Knoebels over the weekend. Has anyone been to Phunfest this year and knows anything more?

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

I’m having trouble linking to it but on their Facebook page, the calendar shows the earliest they could open is July 3rd

No mention of virtual queuing.

Not sure they have the digital infrastructure to implement that.

If they don't sell the ride all day tickets they wouldn't need it. Their issue is as a free parking/admission ungated park...no way to limit entrance. Now at least the Family Kingdom example is out there...similar, not the same.

Knoebels is my favorite place in the world and I'm worried about their future.

They could also very easily and relatively cheaply put something like this: 05706-w.jpg

around the perimeter, and have counters in place at the designated entry/exit gaps.

I think what they will probably do is say that you have to wear a mask if you want to go into any stores or restaurants that aren't open air, and then maybe have some one way paths throughout the park. In addition to spacing out riders, and tables at restaurants. That seems to me to be the most practical solution for Knoebels. I hope they can open soon, I would definitely go back if I had the chance.

Finally! Though it doesn't seem they have a way of limiting the number of people in the park, I wonder how well people will be able to maintain social distancing.

The comments on their facebook post are a bit worrying. All people complaining that they have no intention of wearing marks, straight up saying they'll pretend to have medical conditions to get out of it, whatever.

It sucks to expect the park to do everything they can to keep you safe, but know other people are going to willfully screw it up with their own selfish idiocy.

The comments on their facebook post are a bit worrying. All people complaining that they have no intention of wearing marks, straight up saying they'll pretend to have medical conditions to get out of it, whatever.

It's rural Pennsylvania.

hopefully all the coasters will be open, that's all i really care about. i also wonder if the campground will be open? i'll tent camp in july, don't care about heat, just wanna visit the park

Their website answers all of your questions. It looks like Flying Turns will be closed and the campgrounds have been open for some time. They have said that some rides that don't open with the park may open at a later date, "depending on project completion and additional hiring."

It's rural Pennsylvania.

Ookay ....

At any rate, I'll be going back at whatever point they'd have the ride all day passes

^Just curious, what does your typical list of rides on a Knoebels day look like (in general terms)?

Well when I went twice last year (opening weekend which turned out to be a 4pm rainout and once last September); those were days when I was able to get the ride all day passes/bands.

I was able to do Phoenix a dozen times, Twister 7 times, Impulse 4 times. Plus a bunch of the flats which I didn't keep count of.

Thanks! So those coasters would be 69 tickets. With 11 more tickets for flats, 80 tickets which would be $64 at Weis.

Maybe consider the difference a worthwhile donation to help the park.

Just a thought.

Good for them. I appreciate that they tried to have faith in humanity for a second there. That was adorable.

Seems to dumb to not put it up yesterday if that's what they wanted.