TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P.. 420: Pirates of Speelunker Cave announced for 2022!

I'm sorry I should have made the post more clear. I know they use Texas Arena during Fright Fest. However, other then that they do not. I know in the past they used the Arena for live productions, and I was wondering if anyone knew why they do not anymore...

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess it'd be cost. Surely the stunt shows in the Texas Arena were the most expensive productions in the park, and with the budget as tight as it has been the past few years I'm not surprised they haven't had a show there in a while. Of course this is only speculation...

^^^When they built the Star Flyer at the Galveton Island Historic Pleasure Pier, it took them a million years to do the foundation work, then the tower went up practically in a day or two. Again, this ride is built 100% over water, so Six Flags has the advantage of it's Sky Screamer being on land, so foundation work should go quicker as they had a lot to do underneath the pier in Galeston as well, the tower is taller and more complex, but that should go up fast.

The ride looks exciting! Although it wasn't as thrilling as the Iron Shark, the Star Flyer at the Pleausre Pier was excellent! It really picks up speed and you see the entire island all while feeling so free. I didn't feel restrained at all. Since this one is bigger I can only assume it will be greater!

Hey guess, Happy Thanks Giving, Not sure if this is anything related to the construction or not. I passed by the park after leaving my moms house. I stopped at the Vallero across from the park for gas, and saw a city truck and 3 workers inspecting and marking some areas in front of the strip mall. Has there been any new talk or rumors regarding demolishing of the strip mall?

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think.....I'm excited for Skyscreamer and I think it will be a great addition to the park. However I would love to see a new coaster come soon. Do you guys think the park may add a coaster in 2014 where the closed mini mall is and Flashbacks old spot, or market new shows for 2014 since they are spending a bunch for Skyscreamer in 2013?

What do you guys think.....I'm excited for Skyscreamer and I think it will be a great addition to the park. However I would love to see a new coaster come soon. Do you guys think the park may add a coaster in 2014 where the closed mini mall is and Flashbacks old spot, or market new shows for 2014 since they are spending a bunch for Skyscreamer in 2013?

That's what the park staff keeps telling me. The park is supposedly getting a new coaster within the next couple of years.

There were some parts in the parking lot. I assume it's skyscreamer? Not sure.

New Texas Giant was trying out some weird loading scheme. The gates were blocked off and seats were being assigned one row at a time with the train loading while moving similar to Rockit at Universal except without a moving platform obviously. It was very strange.

New Texas Giant was trying out some weird loading scheme. The gates were blocked off and seats were being assigned one row at a time with the train loading while moving similar to Rockit at Universal except without a moving platform obviously. It was very strange.

^ could you please explain this a little more? That doesn't make sense to me.

The train itself would move down the station while loading. The first row would unlock and the riders would exit, incoming riders would then take their seats simultaneously. And this would go on for each row of the train until the entire train had been loaded. This would take place at the back of the station and once the train was completely loaded it would stop at the front of the station until the ride ops pressed the dispatch button.

The train itself would move down the station while loading. The first row would unlock and the riders would exit, incoming riders would then take their seats simultaneously. And this would go on for each row of the train until the entire train had been loaded. This would take place at the back of the station and once the train was completely loaded it would stop at the front of the station until the ride ops pressed the dispatch button.

Did it seem to speed things up at all?

That would explain why the control panel had individual buttons for each car to unlock the lap bars. Must of been planning on it from the beginning but couldn't decide when to start implementing it yet.

This to me just sounds like an ops nightmare. Sure it may seem slightly more efficient, but the part that's going to be the issue is the assigning of seats. Personally not a fan of that on large capacity coasters, of course there are those exceptions like Maverick that should do it to help move things along on that ride. Mainly is going to be those stubborn people that are going to purposely hold up the line so they can get the seat they want.

The train is basically crawling as it comes into the station, believe it's less than 1 MPH, so it's not like it's flying through it. I'd have to see how it's done to get a more thorough explanation on what they're doing. I guess it does make the line seem like it's moving faster as it's moving at a steady pace vs stopping and moving by 24 people each train dispatch.

That is STUPID! But, I could see them doing it like this on a busy day, and then like normal on a slower day with preferred seating. But then this could take forever too. You have to wait for each individual person to go and put their stuff in the cubby, then get back in, then pull down the harness. Then the ops have to check the harness, and repeat another 11 times. Sounds like a nightmare...