TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

The test run looks great. But I have been kind of annoyed lately with video quality of test runs. Ok, the SEFK videos are okay since they are filmed by the public (not the park), but seriously, they couldn't anything else than a cell phone camera? *facepalm* But again this is probably my biggest pet peeve with theme park videos...

^^ And yes, it should be open by that time (unless there is some huge problem that they encounter).

SFOT just posted a video on FB of The Giant making a test run, and it looks good, those bolts and gaps in the tracks in no way interfered

I guess I'll let him know.

That video was posted 3 pages and 6 hours ago. But thanks (no sarcasm intended). I do agree with you, it looks fantastic. Really looking forward to doing this (or will it be doing me?) coaster. Peace!

That was the third or fourth person to post the link, they probably didn't notice because took awhile for the thread subtitle to mention the video. Speaking of which, it currently points to pg. 198 but the first mention of the video and conversation of the video actually started on pg. 197 when rolercstrluvr posted the link. I thought it would be front page news as past photo updates of the Giant have made it there faster.

I'm not trying to start any controversies or fights or anything but can I ask where this information is coming from? When we talked to the Rocky Mountain guys at IAAPA they said it is supposed to open with the park! Of course I understand that things can change and this IS a brand new product...but a month and a half is a while to get everything ready! Regardless I haven't been to the park since '09 and look forward to going back many times this Spring

Someone quoted the facebook page where they stated this earlier, that is where I got the information from. I also believe that over a month should be plenty to open in time, but I guess they already know of some obstacles that will slow it down.

We will definitely have to meet up and ride when it opens.

-Brian

^^ And yes, it should be open by that time (unless there is some huge problem that they encounter).

Sorry, I should have been clearer with mey statement. I don't doubt it will be open by July, but hopefully it won't have any significant downtime after opening. With my limited knowlegdge of coaster mechanics I can't see why, it's a relatively simple out and back coaster.

Did anyone notice how LOUD the wheels thunked as they crossed the seams in the track? Three good CHONKS coming into the valley of the first drop, another three going up into the first overbank, then it slowed down enough to go from CHONKS to Ka-CHUNKS between the first two overbanks.

I'm surprised that nobody is screaming "I heard it hit those bolts!"

AND the train didn't hit any bolts!!!

I shall be vindicated over time. You know the video stopped seconds before we would have gotten a close up of the wheels hitting the bolts and chunking the wheel.

Edited by larrygator

Damn it! Now I have to go back to that God Awful State just to ride this. In & out quickie. Don't talk to anybody. Ride the ride then leave before I get infected.

I didn't know it was that bad in Texas, to top that off I have to go through customs at Dallas Fort Worth Airport. Should I purchase lubricant in a container under 100ml for the body cavity examination in case they ran out?

Damn it! Now I have to go back to that God Awful State just to ride this. In & out quickie. Don't talk to anybody. Ride the ride then leave before I get infected.

I didn't know it was that bad in Texas, to top that off I have to go through customs at Dallas Fort Worth Airport. Should I purchase lubricant in a container under 100ml for the body cavity examination in case they ran out?

Depends on how you like to get fisted.

The test run looks great. But I have been kind of annoyed lately with video quality of test runs. Ok, the SEFK videos are okay since they are filmed by the public (not the park), but seriously, they couldn't anything else than a cell phone camera? *facepalm* But again this is probably my biggest pet peeve with theme park videos...

To be honest, I wouldn't see the point in having high quality cameras hauled out for this thing. It was just a basic first test run, and a lot of them don't even succeed, so it'd be a huge waste of time to have them bring everything out for it to just valley.

I'm sure some more footage will be shot as time goes by.

Did anyone notice how LOUD the wheels thunked as they crossed the seams in the track? Three good CHONKS coming into the valley of the first drop, another three going up into the first overbank, then it slowed down enough to go from CHONKS to Ka-CHUNKS between the first two overbanks.

I'm surprised that nobody is screaming "I heard it hit those bolts!"

Resist the urge...

Resist the urge...

Put flame-proof gear on...

Now that I watched the video again, I hear them! While they might not be hitting the bolts and just the insanely tiny gap between each track section, there's still a little bit of...something.

^The clunking you hear is actually common on a lot of steel coasters that have track bolted together. I don't recall seeing any welding and sanding shots of the track seams (if I'm wrong, please somebody correct me) so I'm assuming that's all it is. Traveling coasters are good for this kind of sound since they are also only bolted together which makes the seams between the tracks more noticeable. Schwarzkopfs especially from what I've seen.

In terms of the testing video, it looked so goofy with just that little train going around the track. I wasn't expecting it to actually clear some of those turns but it did so with a decent amount of speed. I can't wait to see the speed this thing carries through the course with the full train.

Wondering if those seams can damage the polyurethane on the wheels over time... maybe now that they know that it will clear the course, they'll go back and weld them together to smooth it out... this isn't speculation, just thinking out loud. Pay no attention. The main thing is that if anyone was still thinking of this thing as a wood coaster, they obviously didn't have the sound up on their monitor when they watched the video. It almost sounds like a B&M!

On a totally separate note (and should probably be a new thread, but I just woke up and haven't had enough coffee yet), what about Topper Track and the designation of wood/steel coasters? I could see making an argument that a coaster done up in 100% Topper Track could be a steelie, but what about those that are wood for most of the layout but have TT for a few 'trouble spots'?

The steel track is much narrower than the wooden track

I'm pretty sure you mean the absence of catwalks on either side of the track exposes the underlying structure... and not that the "track is narrower."

Besides, when you're on the ride, it will all be a blur anyway, so whatevs.

If the track actually WERE much narrower, they could run it with those new Matterhorn sleds!

That would be sick. Seriously, or maybe the WDW Space Mountain sleds. I could totally imagine doing that third overbank in one of those... not sure how they'd keep you in the sled on those airtime hills, though.

I could see making an argument that a coaster done up in 100% Topper Track could be a steelie, but what about those that are wood for most of the layout but have TT for a few 'trouble spots'?

If the end result is that they create a kick ass coaster out of it, why does it even matter?

^^Because people want a reason for rides like this or the Intamin wood coasters to not be able to challenge The Voyage in the coaster polls.

Personally, I'm with Robb. If it kicks ass and doesn't realign your spine in the process, who cares how it's constructed? While it is obviously WAY too soon to even begin to know how a ride like this will hold up, it could be a way for parks that for whatever reason cannot/will not maintain their wood coasters to a rideable standard to offer non-bone shattering rides.

Just my dumb opinion, as always...

dt