TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silverwood Discussion Thread

^ It exists so it is possible!

Anyways, about the Stingray, I will say it is possible but unlikely due to the fact that not many USA parks (with the exception of Disney) like Vekoma due to their reliability issues.

Vekoma reliability issues...?

Just a quick glance at Wikipedia shows at least 20 operating coasters in parks all over the US. I would also think that Disney wouldn't continually buy a product if it had maintenance issues. Their parks are kind of a big deal

Anyways, about the Stingray, I will say it is possible but unlikely due to the fact that not many USA parks (with the exception of Disney) like Vekoma due to their reliability issues.

And Silverwood probably isn't one of them considering they bought a GIB that gave Great America nothing but trouble.

And Silverwood probably isn't one of them considering they bought a GIB that gave Great America nothing but trouble.

Hey at least Silverwood knows how to run their GIB! The two times I visited it was up and running with no hassle, and the ride ops were loading like there was no tomorrow.

True, they have upkeep it pretty well and depending on how happy they were with the installation and fixes, they COULD go with Vekoma again.

I wouldn't ride it especially with Vekoma being the manufacturer...

What's wrong with the new Vekoma?

What's wrong with the new Vekoma?

Nothing wrong with it, lol but it looks a little too insane for my standards, and since it's made by Vekoma I get the feeling that it's probably rough and aggressive, but since larrygator said it's a pretty good treat, I'll have to try one out myself.

EDIT: Just saw TPR's POV of a Vekoma Stingray at Suzhou. Doesn't look that bad at all!

^They do.

When went this year on a Monday during summer, the woodies were running one train (obviously, as they have been since they were built, and all the times I've been there) and got 30-45 min lines. Aftershock had a 10 min line for most of the train, except the front seat which was a 30 min (but worth it!). Corkscrew a varying walk-on to station wait the whole day (Well, Corkscrew's line is like this the whole year). All ride ops were hauling serious a$$, as normal. A Vekoma Stingray with two trains would have a good capacity for the park. The only problem, how would a Stingray be their 2nd tallest ride if they are only 103ft tall? I was thinking, what if Silverwood got one of those combination freefly-4d things from S&S(&S)? That'd be awesome.

And honestly, a Aquatrax with an Inversion would be -amazing-.

^Yeah, that isn't going to happen. Nor should it. Silverwood isn't the kind of park that should be building giant coasters. I place them into a similar park category as Holiday World, Dollywood, or Silver Dollar City. It's a park that has some great rides but doesn't need break from it's roots and go huge like an SFMM or CP. Sure, they have a GIB, but that was because it was a great deal on a ride like no other in that area of the country (Seriously, Boomerang at SFDK is the closest similar ride). I doubt the park is in a position to invest in something like a giga.

I've been hearing many rumors about Silverwood since my first visit, from enthusiasts and staff members alike. I'm sure that Silverwood would have the ability to introduce a 'big gun' type ride, but I'm wondering how the expansion for a larger ride would work. The park has reached the borders of the original runway from the old airport, and there are only a few places left where any sort of expansion could take place without removal being necessary. The reasonably sized green lot near the park entrance might be a decent sized spot for something, but not for anything too serious. I just looked at a Google Earth image taken on August 17th of the park, and I found a dirt plot just South of Thunder Creek's lift hill. If that has anything to do with this new ride, I'm not expecting it to have a terribly large footprint.

This Stingray theory sounds perfectly reasonable, considering how it can utilize the park's limited land resources and offer an experience that matches the Silverwood teaser. It's also worth considering the park's success with its first Vekoma ride, Aftershock, which was certainly an extreme but not super-high-capacity ride. And while this is definitely a step up in terms of the park's thrill factor, the story fits together just right so as to convince me of its possibility. I'm awaiting Silverwood's announcement on this ride, as it's one of my personal favorite parks and I'm interested in this expansion.

I've been hearing many rumors about Silverwood since my first visit, from enthusiasts and staff members alike. I'm sure that Silverwood would have the ability to introduce a 'big gun' type ride, but I'm wondering how the expansion for a larger ride would work. The park has reached the borders of the original runway from the old airport, and there are only a few places left where any sort of expansion could take place without removal being necessary. The reasonably sized green lot near the park entrance might be a decent sized spot for something, but not for anything too serious. I just looked at a Google Earth image taken on August 17th of the park, and I found a dirt plot just South of Thunder Creek's lift hill. If that has anything to do with this new ride, I'm not expecting it to have a terribly large footprint.

This Stingray theory sounds perfectly reasonable, considering how it can utilize the park's limited land resources and offer an experience that matches the Silverwood teaser. It's also worth considering the park's success with its first Vekoma ride, Aftershock, which was certainly an extreme but not super-high-capacity ride. And while this is definitely a step up in terms of the park's thrill factor, the story fits together just right so as to convince me of its possibility. I'm awaiting Silverwood's announcement on this ride, as it's one of my personal favorite parks and I'm interested in this expansion.

The problem with your theory...you're assuming the park is out of land, out of room. No park is "out of room", they'll make something fit if they really want it.

I'm aware that Silverwood owns a lot of property (pretty much everything within the circuit of the train) that could be used, but at this point in time, I don't think the park is quite ready to expand THAT far. Yes, Silverwood might be ready for a big-gun coaster when it comes to its possible attendance range, but I'm sure that the park couldn't just plop a big ride on the other side of the runway without making several logistical changes. The runway still appears to be used as employee parking and parts/materials storage, and some park offices (presumably) are located just across the runway from the park. If Silverwood wanted to expand beyond its current border, it would have to either rip up the runway, put a few fences across the runway for a designated path, dig a tunnel beneath the runway, or just build a path around it. And has anybody seen any development in that area of the property? If the park wanted to expand that far, I would expect to see more obvious work being done on the other side of the runway.

After reading through the comments on the Facebook page again someone brought up the idea of Dive Devil at SFMM but I for some stupid reason though of Thrill Shot, which I believe was one of only two ever built, both of which are now defunct. So the point I'm getting to is that we may see an updated version of the same concept, possibly with a facedown spin at around 100 feet, coming to Silverwood.

Thrill Shot's history is...interesting. I believe that S&S built a total of five Sky Sling rides, four of them in the United States. I think that they're all defunct now. Another one of S&S's innovative concepts that just didn't quite work well, I guess.

Silverwood's new attraction is supposed to be "the only one of its kind in the United States", yeah? I'm still thinking of a Technical Park Flying Fury flat ride. Small footprint or not, I'm fairly certain that Vekoma lay-down coaster hardware is not cheap.

Didn't they start clearing land last year for the new ride? So we basically already know where it's going. Take that for what it is.

Also, is that airport still active? Seems odd to have one right there. EDIT - looking at Google maps and seeing all the stuff piled on the runway, I'm going to say it's not in service. Seems like there is no reason to have it anymore and plenty of room to expand. Though I'm not sure, given the location, that all that land could be effectively used and generate revenue.

After reading through the comments on the Facebook page again someone brought up the idea of Dive Devil at SFMM but I for some stupid reason though of Thrill Shot, which I believe was one of only two ever built, both of which are now defunct. So the point I'm getting to is that we may see an updated version of the same concept, possibly with a facedown spin at around 100 feet, coming to Silverwood.

Someone I know who works at Silverwood told me that the park expressed interest in buying Thrill Shot from SFMM at the 2011 IAAPA, but I heard that the sale didn't go through. I would personally love to see a rebirth of that ride with its original, more extreme seats, though I doubt that would happen since S&S stopped producing the ride long ago and seems to be focusing on its other flat rides and coasters.