TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Full disclosure: I've never been to HHN, or any other large scale Halloween event, simply because they're just not my cup of tea.

With that said, this year will be our first HHN visit. I've been a casual observer to all the HHNs of the past, and because of the great reviews they've consistently had over the years, I'm looking forward to October. Still, after looking over both HHN threads to this point, even I, an admitted novice to the horror movie genre, feel somewhat underwhelmed thus far by Orlando's efforts.

I'm sure the event will still be a HUGE success in my eyes given the overall quality of the place and the company we keep, but it just kinda seems like Orlando's sort of "mailing it in" thus far compared to Hollywood.

^This is actually kind of par for course for HHN Orlando. They don't let out a lot of information until the end of August/beginning of September where they release everything at once with the big website reveal. Althought, in the past more information has gotten out by this point because of leaked information, but they have figured out a way to pretty much end all of that.

HHN Hollywood, on the other hand, releases information in small chunks and much sooner than HHN Orlando. I actually really like how the Hollywood event does this utilizing the social media.

Edited by ernierocker

Well, another nail in the coffin for anything that used to be The Lost Continent... Dueling Dragons will no longer be "dueling..."

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/28887591/detail.html

Another Injury At Harry Potter Rollercoaster

Universal Studios Makes Changes In Wake Of New Injury

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Universal Orlando is making a big change to one of the key attractions at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter after a second incident on the ride in two weeks has left another park patron injured.

The injuries happened on the Dragon Challenge dual roller coaster. In both cases, riders say something struck them on a portion of the ride where the two coaster trains come close together at high speed.

In the latest incident, 19-year-old Jon Wilson of Ohio says something struck him in his foot, arm and face on Thursday.

"My sister was sitting next to me at the time and when I said I was hit she thought it was a bug or something but then she looked over and I had blood on my hands so it was obviously something more," Wilson said.

In a major change for the attraction, the two trains of the dual coaster will now be staggered so they do not pass within feet of one another at high speed.

"As we continue to study these incidents, we will operate both coasters as separate experiences without their usual intersect points, Universal Spokesman Tom Schroder said in a written statement.

Thursday's incident came just over two weeks after another rider said he was injured on the same section of the ride. Carlos Montalvo said something struck him as the coaster he was riding passed the other coaster. Montavlo said the injury blinded his right eye.

Schroder said Universal Orlando officials believe "the ride itself did not play a role in these incidents."

"The safety of our guests is our highest priority and we are taking this very seriously," Schroder said, noting that more than 50 million people have "safely experienced" the Dragon Challenge (which was formerly called Dueling Dragons) since it opened.

Schroder said the park would not "speculate on what caused these incidents" but would continue its "long-standing policy of advising guests to safely secure personal items before riding."

Wilson said he's upset that Universal didn't change the ride after the incident that injured Montalvo.

"If this kind of thing is happening more than once in two weeks...it could be a problem of some kind and I feel...I feel....I just wanna make sure other people aren't getting hurt on it."

That's very bad news. The dueling is what makes the ride unique. Surely isn't going to be the same thing if the trains don't meet at the intersections. It just seems odd that these problems are reported now that the ride is branded "Harry Potter".. And aren't people supposed to secure items before riding?

There's plenty of leaked information floating around for HHN Orlando. You just won't find it here, because no one's posted it (and there doesn't seem to be much interest anyway.) But it's true that Orlando doesn't release the sort of teasers that Hollywood does, or bluntly announce things in advance like they do. They like to be more secretive and reveal everything at once. In fact, they only announced The Thing because Hollywood did.

I will say that every Take a Chance game on the official site is a clue to a specific house's theme. Speaking of which, there's a new one up. Click the (dark) blue card for the new book game. This gives us a corresponding game for every house except The Thing.

If anyone feels lost and needs a more detailed explanation of how the games work, go here (you'll have to sign up.)

That sucks...I'll be there in less than a month too. I'm glad I did get to ride it back in 09 when it dueled, but I wish this hadn't happened. Leave it up to some idiot who probably threw stuff to ruin it for everyone.

So true. Rode DD back in Thanksgiving '09 and loved it. Not only are they great intense B&M Inverts on their own, but the dueling element really sells the ride. I mean, Lightning Racer, Gwazi, and other racers pull off the racing like they should, but having the feeling of "OH MY GOD THEY'RE COMING RIGHT AT ME" just doesn't compare.

Not to mention getting rid of the main design element of the ride... Now you're just going to airtime pop over a Zero G Roll and fly down a straightaway for absolutely no reason...

I will say that every Take a Chance game on the official site is a clue to a specific house's theme. Speaking of which, there's a new one up. Click the (dark) blue card for the new book game.

It's rather interesting. I'm still working it out, as I keep losing all my tokens :<, but so far I've got three of the books; Frankenstein, Faust, and The Rime of the Mariner (which has an extra "e").

At first I thought that each book was linked in the sense the main protagonist made a deal with the devil, then I found Frankenstein. But now, it appears, the connection or link between all three is that the main protagonist makes a decision he later comes to regret. In "Faust" he makes a deal with the devil which turns out poorly, and in the Rime of the Mariner, the Mariner kills the Albatross, which sets up the rest of the book. Frankenstein's mistake should be fairly obvious in the sense he created the monster.

The last two books are The Vampyre, in which the main protagonist makes an oath he later regrets, and Wuthering Heights, which is about fate and poor judgement.

This could also be the theme for the overall event, poor choices; fate. There is numerous evidence to support this including HHN Twitter, and the site for HHN in itself.

One card, seemingly provides two hints, perhaps one being for a scare zone and the subsequent for a maze. The green card will first display a questionaire for a utopian society, and then a game relating to establishing proper connections, which is a matching game using the elements of fire, water, air, death, and life (if I'm interpreting them right). There is a clear link between all the other card options. Blue is a poster for Baltimore (Edgar Allen Poe) and then a game with books. Purple first displays two posters recruiting for a war, and then a game dealing with ammunition. Orange first displays a coin, seemingly a piece of treasure, and then a game relating to ships.

Anyways, here's my thoughts;

-Blue Card = Maze relating to poor judgement? Still working a more clear connection on this one.

-Green Card = Maze/Scare Zone relating to a utopia, that isn't what it seems. Maze/Scare Zone relating to the four elements? Memory?

-Purple Card = Maze themed to war/destruction.

-Orange Card = Maze themed to pirates/sailors.

-Light Blue Card = Maze that has something to do with a cemetary. The name "Elizabeth Hawthorne" also appears.

Still working!

Edited by CardCraze

The current speculation on houses this year:

Parade - Columbus/shipwreck house, relates to the loose cannon game, and also relates to the Orange card.

Sprung 1 - Demon House, relates to Certain Rune game, and also relates to green card.

Sprung 2 - Poe house, relates to the the don't judge a book game, and the dark blue card

Jaws queue - Saws and Steam, relates to the machine game, and the red card.

Disaster queue - TV/Late Night Horror/holidays house, relates to the channel surfing game, and the Sienna colored card.

SS 22 - Deals with the cemetery/Lady Hawthorne house, the key game, and the light blue card.

SS 23 - The Thing, Friend or Foe (Shadow People), Light Purple card.

SS - 23 - relates to WWI house, most likely deals with vampire nurses, the incoming game, and the purple card