TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: DreamWorks Land passholder preview report!

Ripsaw has been changed many, many times since it opened--largely in the name of safety. It seems to me (as an outside observer) that it's now a very labor-intensive ride with not-so-impressive capacity.

Considering how much money the park has been pulling in lately, this might be the perfect excuse/opportunity to tear it down and replace it with something else. Especially considering that the park's largest expansion area is right next door.

Wild speculation, of course. Obviously, much may depend on how much money it will cost to fix it. But if the two numbers are even remotely in the same ballpark (repair vs. build something new), my guess would be that they end up taking it out.

Full disclosure: I worked on Ripsaw Falls for two years (back before the ride had lapbars), and back then, the ride was easily the most problematic in the park. However, I have zero information about what's going on right now, or whether the changes made to the ride previously have fully alleviated any concerns that might once have existed.

I have heard the same rumors as everyone else that IOA is looking to expand Potterville, but obviously Ripsaw won't help them with that. So if we see and quick and dirty fix, with a substantial loss of theming, then I'm pretty sure Ripsaw's days will be numbered.

/Personally, I hope not.

//Mountie for life.

I'm guessing that they can't complete the investigation because it isn't safe to be on the roof of the building at the moment...but my money would be on an HVAC unit causing the fire.

I'm at universal orlando right now. I'm booked in a room at the royal pacific resort where I have a great view of the back of the building (The front desk person gave me a funny look when I asked for you that view) and you can see no visible damage.. I took numerous over the wall shots inside the park and, again, there is no exterior damage visible.. I'm happy to upload the pics in case I'm missing something.

Well good that they are combining the ride's downtime with its annual seasonal maintenance. I hope it gets back up and running soon. I love that ride very much. Love is a strong word. The ride gives me a feeling like no other. /creepy

Do you feel more refreshed than anyone?

The damage is not on the Royal Pacific side. It's on the opposite side, closest to JP falls. One spot that may be able to see it is from the Toon Lagoon sign near the JP arch. The damage is the roof of the building right after you first exit the show building.

Fire reports say it was a 25x25 foot portion of the roof and the scenery. Caused by pine needles on the roof ignited by a pump or motor.

I have rarely seen the ride run at full function as it did in the first year. Rarely do they run down both chutes at the fall. Not that this repair/refurb will fix much other than what was damaged and what needs painted.

GE just needs to put the money into the park to keep up with the general maintenance. Hollywood has almost been completely rebuild post-fire, now its time to give the east coast some love too. Maybe transitioning Marvel over to DC would inject new visitors for that side of the park.

Ace of Spades - No need to get on the poster's case for stating a coincidence, KaiRubix was not out of line as his original post was relevant to the thread.

Thanks for defending my post.

and just to stay relevant, its rather Ironic that a water ride would catch on fire and that Universals always has bad luck with fire...first the New York Back lot and King Kong showroom in Hollywood Now this.

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT CELEBRATES ONE-MILLIONTH BUTTERBEER SOLD AT

THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER

Popular Beverage Hits Major Milestone:

Universal Orlando Marks Moment with 1,000 Complimentary Butterbeers

ORLANDO, Fla. (January 6, 2011) – In celebration of selling its millionth Butterbeer inside The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal Orlando Resort shared 1,000 complimentary Butterbeers with guests on the streets of Hogsmeade.

Butterbeer appears as a favorite drink inside the Harry Potter books and films and is only available inside The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It is a nonalcoholic, frothy drink reminiscent of shortbread and butterscotch and is served cold or frozen.

Much has been written about Butterbeer since it made its debut on June 18, 2010, making it one of the most talked about beverages of 2010. There has been much speculation about its secret ingredients – but Universal Orlando will not share the closely guarded recipe. Universal has implemented special security procedures to protect the details.

Butterbeer quickly became a guest favorite. To help meet the strong demand, Universal Orlando added a fourth Butterbeer location within The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

“You can see the excitement on our guests’ faces as they wait in line – and then the smile that comes with their first sip,” said Ric Florell, General Manager and Senior Vice President of Resort Revenue Operations for Universal Orlando. “Butterbeer is not just a beverage. It’s an experience.”

Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is the most spectacularly themed environment ever created. It is the only place in the world where the wonder, excitement and adventure of the Harry Potter books and films come to life.

Universal Orlando Resort

There are many ways to enjoy your Orlando vacation – but there is only one Universal Orlando Resort. It is a completely separate destination featuring two theme parks, three magnificently themed on-site hotels and a nighttime entertainment complex. It’s the only Orlando destination where you are not just entertained – you are part of the most exhilarating entertainment ever created. You can soar above Hogwarts with Harry Potter, swing above the streets with Spider-Man, battle aliens alongside Agent J, and help Shrek save Princess Fiona in Shrek 4-D. You can be courageous, be outrageous – and be extraordinary.

Warner Bros. Consumer Products

Warner Bros. Consumer Products, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is one of the leading licensing and retail merchandising organizations in the world. Harry Potter continues to be a global phenomenon. The series of books by author J.K. Rowling has been translated into 69 languages with more than 400 million copies sold in over 200 territories around the world. The films, produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, have grossed more than $6.2 billion at the box office worldwide, making Harry Potter the largest-grossing film franchise in history.

# # #

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ Butterbeer™ beverage. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © JKR.

“You can see the excitement on our guests’ faces as they wait in line

This guy is delusional. There is nothing exciting about waiting in line. In fact, it really sucks that you have to wait so long just to get a certain drink at the WWoHP.

EVen though the idea of losing Mythos (probably the coolest in-park restaurant I have ever been too) is saddening to imagine, I for one eould encourage Universal to expand WWoHP. I imagine some sort of new interactive wizardry show involving wand fights and things would takeover Sinbad as the show building itself was a great venue... but Poseidon... Good question to ask what it would be useful for.

I hate to say it but I'd have to agree. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan myself, and I really REALLY miss the facade of the Enchanted Oak.. However, WWoHP is WAY too small.. Might as well fully convert the LC, especially since there isn't really anything to do in the part thats left over. Yes, I know you have Posiedon and Mythos. But Posiedon and Mythos aren't THAT good, are they?

They already got rid of two of the best parts of LC.. Might as well rip the bandaid off quick!

Edited by Imhotep

What are they gonna do? Build the next uber exciting, groundbreaking, destined to be better than Spider-man, most awesomest, technologically groundbreaking, never-seen-before Kuka arm ride that only registers a "meh" from most enthusiasts? Sign me up!!!

No, wait, I'd rather just have a butterbeer and keep on walking.

Potterville is good enough as is. It served its purpose as a nice place for Potter freaks, and helped bring in a ton of cash and inspire the rest of an ailing park to clean up its act. No expansion needed. Time to move on.

Edited by BeemerBoy

As much as I like Mythos, they could do a Harry Potter themed restaurant that is just as good, or even a lot better. Maybe Grant Achatz of Alinea would be interested in the project. I hear he's a Harry Potter fanboy. Probably not a realistic idea, but I'd love to have a chef of that caliber running a theme park restaurant.

^I have zero interest in a restaurant that Rowling would be involved in, because I doubt the food would be anything near world-class, since it would "break the immersion". Unless the characters of the Potterverse spend their time dining at Nobu. That would be OK.

dt