TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Mighty Roar

Iron Roar

Wicked Roar

Twisted Roar

New Roar (I'm still miffed about New Texas Giant. Really?!)

Or they could go the superhero route -

Superman's Roar

Batman's Roar

Catwoman's Womanly Roar

Wonder Woman's Roar-ing Lasso

Green Lantern: Roaring Power Ring

Lex Luthor: Roar Of Doom

Roar-ing Flash

But let's take the more Six Flags approach -

Roar2 (the 2 is like a backwards S. YOLO, dawg.)

Theres a broken water main near the hospital and water treatment plant that are behind SF:DK (on the other side of the lake.) News report is saying "A broken water main in Vallejo left residents west of Interstate Highway 80 with little or no water pressure, according to Vallejo city officials.Officials estimated that full service would be restored by 4 a.m. Sunday."

As well as "The officials said tap water in the city is safe to drink, but they are asking residents to avoid using water in the affected area until the break is repaired."

The main broke on friday though and six flags never said anything. so maybe Six flags is on a different water main line.

link to CBS 13's news article on it.

As much as I do prefer coasters that focus more on airtime and positive Gs than inversions, RMC does a really good job with inversions. They are smooth, transition well, and provide some pretty funky airtime type feelings. I wouldn't mind at all if Roar had one or two inversions similar to the barrel rolls on Outlaw Run or the Zero G on Iron Rattler

This.

I get the feeling those of you saying Roar shouldn't have an inversion is because you haven't tried an RMC inversion yet. Definitely different! If your reasoning is that it would make it worse for families with little kids scared of loops... Sorry, this is gonna be the wrong coaster for those types of people. SFDK will have to get a family coaster for that. If your reasoning is you want a thrill ride without inversions... I don't think you'll be disappointed if Roar does have them and I think it will.

yI'll echo similar sentiments as posted in the other thread: Roar was the only major coaster without inversions at SFDK, which is not as minor as you make it seem.

Assuming the RMC-treatment comes with at least two inversions (as all but NTG have), wouldn't this make SFDK the only major park without a major non-inverting coaster?

While SFFT still has the Arrow Mine Train and Gerstlauer spinning coaster, after RMC-treatment there really is nothing to bridge the gap for young-riders between Cobra and...say a SLC, Vekoma Boomerang, Medusa, and two launched looping coasters. As much as thrill park of SFDK has become, they really are a family draw with most of their acreage and parkspace dedicated to animal attractions, marine-life, and family rides. I've been on Wicked Cyclone, NTG, and Outlaw Run. I'm sure Iron-Roar-Steel-Colossus-RhinoRampage will be phenomenal too, but I hope that they'll do something to fill this gap too. I have three younger sisters and it's frustrating for families to not have any in-betweens in a park of all steel looping coasters and a Tivoli.

Does any other park have a similar problem?

Sometimes looping coasters are easier to get people on than you think. For example, I'd be able to convince the large variety of chickens I know at SFOT to ride ShockWave before I'd get them anywhere near NTaG or Titan.

Although in most cases that isn't true, like at SFFT (where I'm stuck riding the middle rows on Road Runner and Pandemonium at the diagonal all day)

IRat only has one inversion, Lightning Rod won't have any, and as you said NTaG has none. It's also possible they throw a barrel roll somewhere in the structure where nobody can see it

I went to the park today for roar's final day of operation, least for general public. I rode 2 times in ERT and once around 5:25 pm then got in "line" to be the last in line. along with at least a few other enthusiats and people who just wanted to be last public riders. On our train we all spread out to fill the train as much as we could. I sacrificed myself to the middle since I only really did front and back all season long.

We get into the bay station and the whole train is chanting "one more time, one more time, one more time" So the ride ops and staff are kind enough to let us go again.

We get back to the bay station again chant is now " thank you six flags clap clap clap-clap-clap" even while we pull into the station after the "orginal" ride ops from 1999 are climbing the lift hill.

Ride op "okay guys, do you truly want to be the last people to ride Roar?" the train erupts with excitement. screaming, hollering, cheering, etc. So they send us though for a 3rd time but only if we chant " roar roar roar roar roar" which of course most if not all of us do. I figure we aren't likely the last train of passenger('s) to ride roar but it was a immensely nice touch on their part.

Also, i was there two thursdasys ago and there's twice as much new wood near the matience bay as there was then. Pretty much finally confirms RMC to me.

also there was a DJ booth with trivia about roar, answers were everything SF:DK's facebook page has been posting about "Roar lore". won a farewell to roar shirt and a piece of roar. it's a small wooden block.

PS: a single guy was wearing "save roar" airbrushed homemade shirt. Protester rider, party of 1. He was not in the "final train".

ride count: medusa three. 2 front, 1 back.

roar six 1 front, 2 back 3 middle.

Edited by Fire2box

I made it over to the park for some last rides today as well.

I got in four rides on it this afternoon. The ops were doing a good job, moving quickly and being enthusiastic on the ride (actually all the rides were operating well today, except V2 which was oddly slow). The park wasn't super crowded, I'm guessing because of the heat, but I saw multiple camera crews from local news stations and the line for Roar started getting some length towards the end of the day, which was nice to see. They were giving away shirts and old pieces of track, and selling them with all proceeds going to marine mammal charity. The ride itself felt really good to me today. I sat in the front, back, and twice in the middle, on both left and right sides, and none of the rides felt particularly rough. It's sad to see it go, it really is (was) a solid GCI coaster. Luckily it's death is only partial and temporary, but man I wish RMC could have done something with Kong instead...

Luckily it's death is only partial and temporary, but man I wish RMC could have done something with Kong instead...

Pretty sure all of RMC feels the same way.

I've always wondered what a B&M with the exact same SLC layout would be since the layout itself seems good if the comfort wasn't an issue.

As for Mighty Iron Roar or whatever they name it, I'm excited the park is finally getting a top notch coaster. Superman and Medusa are two great coasters and this should round out their collection quite nicely. It's a bummer to see Roar go (I really enjoyed it), but this is better.

Luckily it's death is only partial and temporary, but man I wish RMC could have done something with Kong instead...

I've always wondered what a B&M with the exact same SLC layout would be since the layout itself seems good if the comfort wasn't an issue.

As for Mighty Iron Roar or whatever they name it, I'm excited the park is finally getting a top notch coaster. Superman and Medusa are two great coasters and this should round out their collection quite nicely. It's a bummer to see Roar go (I really enjoyed it), but this is better.

Yeah, it's hard to complain about getting an RMC, I just wish we were adding more coasters instead of replacing. Or, you know, taking out Kong since I refuse to ride it anymore

Yeah, it's hard to complain about getting an RMC, I just wish we were adding more coasters instead of replacing. Or, you know, taking out Kong since I refuse to ride it anymore

right now I think the best and maybe cheapest (I don't know) idea would be to: 2017 take out boomerang, put in Zacspin. Name it/theme it to joker.

Replacing a GCI with an RMC feels like it is an addition to me even though the # of coasters technically didn't go up.

right now I think the best and maybe cheapest (I don't know) idea would be to: 2017 take out boomerang, put in Zacspin. Name it/theme it to joker.
As much as I personally love ZacSpins, I don't think you'll see another one any time soon, especially with the S&S FreeSpin model available as a much more universally enjoyed (And I'm guessing probably cheaper) version of that kind of layout.