TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Defunct Roller Coaster/Ride

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a lot of time as a kid at Knotts when i was little and I don't remember the Wacky Soap Box Racers. I'm going to have to go through some of the old pictures my Mom has to see if I may have rode it.

Eagle Fortress has my vote for favorite defunct ride. TPR had some really awesome night ERT the year before it closed.

For me its probably Suihkio at a park in finland called Tykkimäki. It was an old ride that spun really fast and you could take the gondola up and down. Tho now the ride at the moment is also REALLY great. That made this park seem a little more crazy because the ride they got was one of the scariest in the world.

Suihkio

New ride. Loop Fighter

Now i also miss this HUSS rainbow at linnanmäki.

Then i also miss a HUSS Speedy (i think they only made 2 of those) i think it might not be defunct, but it hasn't appeared on the tours of the fair in the last 2 years.

Then i miss this one ride they removed and made defunct in another fair in finland. It was a Fabbri Skateboard (they don't make those anymore) and i only could ride it once.

As much as many people hated it, I will always miss Hypersonic XLC from KD , it was one of my favorite coasters at the park, and it was a really fun ride.

If you wanna know one of the rides that bugged me, that literally made me dance with Glee, you will know it was Great American Scream machine from Six Flags Great Adventure. It was a fun ride, but it need to retire, and it was really uncomfortable.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aska at Nara Dreamland. I haven't been on it, but wasn't it supposed to be super good?

Also, Ozark Wildcat and Dania Beach Hurricane were rated pretty highly as well, again I wouldn't know by experience.

My personal favorite defunct coaster would have to be Speed in Vegas, definitely (was) the best coaster in Vegas!

Golden Nugget at Hunt's Pier in Wildwood, NJ. (Haven't tried it at Knobels yet).

The Alps at Willow Grove Park in Pennsylvania.

The Rattler at Fiesta Texas before the first drop was shortened.

Twister at the old Elitch's.

The wooden coaster that used to be at the CNE in Toronto.

As others have mentioned, Wacky Soap Box Racers at Knott's and Big Bad Wolf at BG Williamsburg.

Jim

Scrambler and now Raging Seas at Darien Lake as well as Martin's Fantasy Island's Sizzler ride. I really wished I had ridden Nightmare at Phantom Cave at Darien Lake before it was moved to The Great Escape (where it "died"), as well as Martin's Fantasy Island's Patriot and Daredevil rides. *goes off builds a time machine*

• 2 weeks later...

So far there have only been 4 coasters that have either become defunct or have moved to become SBNO that I've ridden.

My favorite would have to be Viper @ SFOG (tho it's SBNO @ KK). I love shuttle loopers; even though it was the only one I've been on. I was too scared to Ride White Lighning @ Carowinds before it was moved (plus I may not have been tall enough yet).

Others would be Drachen Fire (yes, I actually liked it...must have gotten worse after my last ride) and Big Bad Wolf.

The only one I don't really miss is Flying Super Saturator @ Carowinds, tho it was an ok ride for what it was.

My favorite flat/dark/other rides that have been removed are Blackbeard's Revenge and Powder Keg Flume (Wild Thornberry...blah) @ Carowinds.

As for favorite defunct it has to be Big Bad Wolf. As much as I liked Verbolten it just seemed odd not seeing the Wolf dive to the Rhine River instead of those sexy looking trains coming off the decrepit covered bridge.

I'll also add Villain to the list. It may have been a temperamental ride but when it was running in cool weather and night rides it was a very good ride. Was quite sad to see a coaster that was only seven years old see the demise it had.

As for rides I'm glad are defunct are Son of Beast and Disaster Transport.

Knotts: Tampico Tumbler(probably my favorite flat ride EVER), Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, Haunted Shack, Parachute drop. Also(even though you will all HATE ME for this) Windjammer as I believe it was my first looping coaster... regardless I have pleasant memories of the coaster because I remember finding it hilarious that I was tall enough to ride but my sisters were not. I also remember enjoying it(I was maybe 7 or 8) but in a way I am happy it's gone cause I did not know anything about coaster then and would probably HATE it if I were to ride it today.

Epcot: Journey into YOUR imagination: I visited Orlando for the first time in 2000 so although I have never experienced the original incarnation of the ride I seem to remember REALLY liking YOUR imagination. I visited Florida again in... I think 2009 and hate the current version and kind of hate Figment, who I loved in the original version. I know it's not technically defunct, but I count an entire overlay as a new ride.

Disneyland: Rocket Rods. I realize these were a NIGHTMARE for the parks and I realize that RSR uses a more sophisticated version of the same technology and is a far better ride, but there is something about being six or seven and being just tall enough to ride Disneyland's newest and most awesome new thrill ride. I LOVE how the track interacted with Tomorrowland and how the ride seemed to go everywhere. Looking back at POV's it was not even a great ride, but my memories of it will always be me thinking it was an AMAZING attraction.

Lastly(and most regrettably) the original Submarine Voyage. That being said I think Nemo is a fine attraction and had it been built as it's own attraction I think I would appreciate it FAR MORE but the original subs were so charming and awesome! I thought it was so cool to actually be underwater and see everything from Sea Monsters to mermaids! I just have all around positive memories of this attraction and every time I ride Nemo, while I enjoy it, I realize it just does not compare to my original love of the ride.

Honorable mention: The original Star Wars. Yes... the new Star Wars is AMAZING and is in my opinion the best Disney "re imagining" of an attraction EVER, but I will never miss my hundreds of flights with Captain Rex, even if every flight was his first flight!

Don't have too many coasters I remember loving that have been torn down. I really enjoyed Big Bad Wolf when I rode it, but I have only been to BGW once and I feel that Ninja is a better coaster in terms of layout, so even though I have fond memories of the ride I cannot really put it as a favorite. I REALLY MISS Screamin without the trims, but that in my opinion is still the best(in terms of thrill factor, not theming) of all the Disney coasters, and it still provides a fun ride and is not at all defunct.

^I remember when the Soapbox Racers used to be the Motorcycle Chase.

That's because you are old!

The thing I remember from Knott's that goes way back was in the petting zoo they had. There was a chicken that played a piano when you put money in the machine. I thought that was so cool of course I was probably 5 at the time.

I have to say High Roller at the Stratosphere, not the best ride, scariest or anything like that. It was just unique being perched up so high off of the ground. Had amazing views to say the least.

^ I just looked up some photos of it, and it looked so cool. I just can't bare to imagine the thought of looking down on that thing

^ When I went up in 2004 when I was 17, no big deal. I rode X-Scream like 7 times and High Roller and Big Shot a couple times each. Didn't even phase me. Then I went back last year... Almost had a panic attack just being up there. Rode X-Scream once and was terrified. Big Show was still OK, rode that twice. Didn't bother with Insanity. It's amazing how I apparently lost my nerve over the course of 7 years.

My favorite Defunct ride isn't technically defunct, just moved to somewhere that I have no intention of ever visiting, and that ride is Zonga. Followed close by Tidal wave at CGA, love me my Schwarzkopfs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Then i miss this one ride they removed and made defunct in another fair in finland. It was a Fabbri Skateboard (they don't make those anymore) and i only could ride it once.

That looks like its got some intense laterals being banked like that!