TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

^I do see where you are coming from with the "converting a hyper" argument. There really is no "need" to convert any hyper, as most hyper coasters are the most popular rides at their respective parks. However, it's not completely impossible to do so either. I don't see why a coaster like Magnum with a lattice support structure, couldn't get this new track. I know that's not what you're saying, I'm just stating that possibility.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically, this new track type *could* use less steel to construct. And by simply looking at the fabrication, is also much less labor intensive in the welding department. Comparing to something like Mack triangular track or the Intiman box track, I could see this being cheaper. Those have a ton of welds and cross bracing sections.

But we have no clue if they are comparable structurally, which affects cost in a big way. There are really too many variables for people to guess, and without accurate costs of ride track , its really hard to say. We'll have to wait and see if RMC says its cheaper, or if the costs to parks just end up being cheaper.

If I'm looking at that last picture correctly, it appears like each train will only have one wheel bogey, at the back. As in the same as the wood trains. If this is the case perhaps they will be the first to have an inverting hyper coaster? Or just allow for much more crazy maneuvers.

That design did feel slightly familiar to something Coaster-Lab would design. Awesome to see them part of something major like this! And those trains look niiice! I expect more launched coasters out of these thanks to the head-rest.

I think it doesn't have to be a monorail system for the whole ride. This system can totally go back to the two rail system at the low stress sections to save some steel.

That's what I thought too. And maybe for the brakes/drive tires sections it would be easier, but I guess they'll be the ones who evaluate if it's worth it or not.

Nobody's mentioned that the TRex track houses the wheel assemblies on the outside of the track (not the inside like IBox, Topper, Arrow coasters, and all other wood coasters). This new system is similar to the way B&M and Intamin make their coasters. Does anyone know what benefits that system has compared to the other?

The outside wheels were likely chosen to simplify the construction of the box. Inside wheels would require a more complex cross section like that on the right side, below. I doubt many other factors came into play as both designs have good, ahem... "track" records.

adfdasdsfsafsd.png.b6f84d058c5ff20871f38acbc088be4b.png

8 surfaces on left, 12 surfaces on right

The outside wheels were likely chosen to simplify the construction of the box. Inside wheels would require a more complex cross section like that on the right side, below. I doubt many other factors came into play as both designs have good, ahem... "track" records.

Yeah I'm sure that's a major reason, but it also added the need for a whole new train to accommodate the different track style. I'm sure there's more positive reasons we don't know yet!

ps - SolidWorks is fun!

^To be honest, I didn't even know Solidworks was capable of producing top-notch professional renderings like this until CoasterLab came around. Way to demonstrate the program's power! Those trains are freaking amazing, they look like a modern, sleek, and minimalist take on the wooden coaster train. I completely love it