TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

S&S Sansei Discussion Thread

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it Werner Stengel who designs their rides? Well, maybe he coulf find a way to make the 4D concept cheaper, but with B&M's boxy track, I'd expect it to be even more expensive.

Thomas "I'd rather see an awesome smooth ride from B&M than an OK ride like X" Jackson

There, I tried that whole Person X: comment: Person X's last name thing right there, and I'll never do it again

Delta isn't selling any assets or gates. In fact, they've announced new routes out of LAX, JFK, and ATL. They've also committed to purchasing 5 new 777, of which at least 2 will be Worldliners (the longest-ranged commercial aircraft in the world). Actually, if you take away the bankruptcy reorganization charges, they made a $355 million profit in Q2. Once they come out of Ch. 11, they will be stronger than any carrier in the U.S. except maybe Continental.

I assure you they are and have. And we will not even go into the pilots union, but they still have a lot of issues to take care of.

*Fast snap shot...

Delta dropping local service to Atlanta

Last Update: 8/14/2006 11:42:43 AM

Delta Air records loss in second quarter

Last Update: 8/10/2006 3:02:02 AM

Delta posts $2.2 billion second-quarter loss, turns profit on adjusted basis

Last Update: 8/9/2006 4:55:28 PM

Delta made the request to shut down 16 of its 24 gates at the Orlando airport on Thursday in New York bankruptcy court. Such a move would end Delta's title as the region's most powerful and largest carrier as early as next month. [Dec. 05]

Watch out for the words adjusted, they use that to make statements sound stronger to protect market reactions. "Adjusted means nothing" Also most of Deltas planes are leased, not owned. Delta should make it, but I think we will see the words merger.

*Sorry no more market talk..

Cheers!

With so many parks in the US having financial troubles and selling off or closing parks for real estate development it's easy to see that it's really not a good time for ride manufacturers in the US (or Europe). I can't see S&S going out of business since they have so many installations worldwide they probably have a fairly good parts/service business. Chapter 11 would just mean a little downsizing and restructuring. (if this rumor is even true)

There is a lot of capacity and not much demand right now in the amusement industry, so while this could only be a rumor it's not unlikely.

I have some new information on this. As of last night, an unnamed buyer has officially made an offer for S&S and their assets. I know my contact has been contacted by the interested party in regards to staff and payroll info. The question of relocation also arose during her conversation with the prospective buyer, so S&S may be on the move. The whole process was a bit surreal to her in that the buyer never identified themselves, but one of the main investors was present in the room with her, so she felt OK in giving out the info. If things move forward the buyer was planning on flying out to Logan early next week, so I may have more info then.

I have also been told that the building is officially available for lease, but have not been able to confirm this. Once I get some more concrete info I'll pass it on.

Glad to hear S&S look to continue albeit under new management. Probably a good thing actually - hopefully this will eventually mean more reliable rides. To me reliability issues is probably the biggest reason they've gotten themselves into this position.

I can't verify this but I've also heard that Clementon Park has not paid S&S in full for J2. I have no clue if this is because of the lack of funds (VERY possible) or because of all of the problems they have been having with the ride and the good ol' state of NJ. Does anybody know more?

Ironically, J2 has been closed and may not reopen this year. Be sure to call if you plan to get another ride in before the end of 2006. (although Labor Day weekend IS the end of the season with exception of Sept. 16th)

Delta isn't selling any assets or gates. In fact, they've announced new routes out of LAX, JFK, and ATL. They've also committed to purchasing 5 new 777, of which at least 2 will be Worldliners (the longest-ranged commercial aircraft in the world). Actually, if you take away the bankruptcy reorganization charges, they made a $355 million profit in Q2. Once they come out of Ch. 11, they will be stronger than any carrier in the U.S. except maybe Continental.

Back on topic, hopefully this is just Ch. 11 and they can reorganize and continue operations (a la Vekoma). If this is Ch. 7, then we'll lose all of S&S's creations, in addition to wooden coasters like Avalanche and J2. Obviously Arrow's stuff would go too, but who wants the accursed 4-d coaster now?

Also, is Huss going to be a Ch. 11 or 7 bankruptcy? I hope it's just Ch. 11.

You forgot to mention all the flights cut from CVG over the past year, dropping 33% of their flights, and they have lost planes, but they managed it by liquidating Song and utilizing their 757's to make up some routes for planes they have lost. The 5 new 777's were ordered before they were in bankruptcy if I remember correctly. AND they just laid me off, so they're not doing really well... ATL didn't get hurt much, but here in CVG (Used to be 2nd largest hub for Delta) we really got hit hard.

-James "Just so you know" Dillaman

ah, what? I know its very possible for a company to seem to do so well then go kaput, but, arrrrrrrrrrrg, they were my favorite company....

And they had so much potential with their new launched coasters, I mean, PowderKeg was exceptional, and I dearly enjoy their swings and shots....

btw, where their Sky Swats any good? They looked SO awsome, but I havent ridden any yet.

btw, where their Sky Swats any good? They looked SO awsome, but I havent ridden any yet.
The Swats are amazing... One of my favorite flat rides ever... Sadly it seems that they have serious reliability problems...

I have only ridden the Thorpe park installation but OMG it was amazing. I couldn't believe the forces in the outside rows... It was much more comfortable in the center... Honestly I think they should make some smaller models of it as it could be an amazing seller.

Greetings, all!

Thanks to so many of you whose positive comments are greatly encouraging. And I hope those people who have posted "information" that is negative and inaccurate about S&S will place a higher priority on truthfulness in future postings.

I would also like to point out that the incorrect information in certain postings did not come from me, nor from anyone at S&S who has been knowledgeable about our situation and authorized to discuss it.

Now, for the news you've been waiting for.....

Right here, we are providing to you an early look at the Press Release that will be distributed to industry and non-industry news and information sources on Friday, August 25.

We are looking forward to producing many more successful thrill rides and coasters, and we sincerely appreciate the support of our many friends in the industry.

Kathy Archer

Manager, Marketing & Administration

S&S Power, Inc.

PRESS RELEASE

S&S Power, Inc. Announces Change of Ownership

Logan, UT – August 25, 2006 – S&S Power, Inc. is pleased to announce that Stan Checketts and Gene Mulvihill, both original founding partners of S&S, have formed a group that has purchased controlling interest of the company. The negotiation of this purchase took several difficult months; however, S&S has maintained its leading position in the amusement ride industry and shortly will announce several projects that are underway with major parks that are purchasing rides to open in 2007.

Checketts, who will be Chief Executive Officer of the company, will direct the company based on the underlying principles with which he started the company, to provide the amusement industry with thrilling, high-quality rides the entire family can enjoy. Checketts also announced that the business operations of S&S will remain under the direction of Rich Allen, who will continue in his role as Chief Operating Officer.

Thanks Kathy,

It's always good to set the record straight. Nice to see you join our community and I hope you'll be around to keep us informed as to how things are progressing.

--Robb "Good luck to everyone at S&S" Alvey

YESS!!! Thank you soo much for the info Kathy. I'm so glad to see S&S not go down under, because it would have been a terrible loss to the theme park community. Good luck to you guys and I can't wait to see many of the new rides being built in the future. Oh and your drop towers roxorz my soxorz .

Thank you Kathy for setting the record straight! It's so refreshing to hear that S&S will be around for the long haul. More importantly, that Stan is going to be in the drivers seat.

I have thrillingly loved all S&S rides that that I have had the pleasure of getting aboard. No Screaming Squirell yet. Damn!

I look forward to hearing about the projects that are planned for the future as they allways are a fine addition to any park.

One question. Is Arrow staying or going?

Hopefully you can answer that.

It's great news to hear you all are going to remain a part of the amusement industry.

So were we wrong to doubt the original poster?

Thanks for the update, Kathy, if that is who you are. I'm glad to see that S&S is sticking around. I appreciate the rides and the new ideas that come forward every few years.

Maybe someday I'll get to ride a Double Shot. I still haven't!