TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

S&S Sansei Discussion Thread

I haven't tried a triple launch either (I'll probably do it this summer) but but I have to say the even among the "normal" one step launches, I have never been on an LSM one which was as strong as any intamin accelerator coaster I've ridden. This summer I rode red force at ferrariland and even though the stats are not that different I feel that kingda ka and TTD are on a completely different league due to the brutality of their accelerations. I really would like to be able to experience an S&S compressed air launch (like dodonpa) as they all appear so forceful and I hope these more "old-school" systems are not completely replaced by the more modern LSMs unless they actually manage to produce equally forceful accelerations.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Red Force's initial kick wasn't quite as good as a hydraulic launch, but by about a quarter down the track, the launch felt identical to Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster. Having said that, I didn't notice the ride going down once in my two days there.

I cannot say the same for Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster which seem to break down for 10-15 minutes every hour when I'm there. The only compressed air launch I've seen in person is Hypersonic and that ride broke down on me and was removed before my next return to the park.

^ Red Force's initial kick wasn't quite as good as a hydraulic launch, but by about a quarter down the track, the launch felt identical to Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster. Having said that, I didn't notice the ride going down once in my two days there.

I cannot say the same for Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster which seem to break down for 10-15 minutes every hour when I'm there. The only compressed air launch I've seen in person is Hypersonic and that ride broke down on me and was removed before my next return to the park.

The fact that it doesn't start accelerating from 0 mph doesn't help but even the ones I've ridden which do fail to match the brutal kick most accelerator coasters have. But yes it does seem more reliable (even though it broke down for a few minutes while I was there) than hydraulic or compressed air launches which probably means we will start seeing more of these replacing other types of launches. It's obviously great to have very reliable rides but once in a while I'd be willing to take the risk and have a properly forceful launch. Kindga ka's launch is the most forceful one I've been on (or at least the one I like the most, even if not everyone does) and it's just a feeling that I don't get in any other coaster and I quite miss it. So it's great to see that these compressed air launches are not dead but I do wish they were also built elsewhere (like Europe or the US) as I'd really like to have the chance to try one. Or maybe I'll just have to go to Asia..

• 3 months later...