TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which wooden coasters needs refurbishments/improvements.

Not many American coasters that people don't want changed to hybrids or completely retracked it seems. I like my wooden coasters a bit rougher, so I'll just go with Hurler (due to the stupid trims and it does need to be torn down or retracked for bad roughness) and GASM at SFOG (hurt my tailbone so bad from the washboard effect). Georgia Cyclone was fine to me, unlike most others. At least it had great airtime.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, we need Iron Eagle! They should i-box at least one side.

I'm genuinely curious as to why all of you who want Rocky Mountain to refurbish racing coasters only want them to do one side. What's the point?!?

I've thought the same thing. You think both sides are bad now! Wait until one goes untouched by RMC!!!!!

My 2 cents:

Mean Streak: I'm down for an Iron Horse treatment. Don't need the inversions, just extreme turns a la Texas Giant. (UPDATE: 6/26/2018) It happened and now is Steel Vengeance)

Shivering Timbers: My home coaster could really benefit from Topper Track. It's a great coaster.

Gwazi: Nuke it! Just kidding (sort of). Mil Flyers couldn't even save it. It needs to be re-tracked but good!

UPDATE 8/8/2015:

Blue Streak (Cedar Point): Went back to Cedar Point this July and rode Blue Streak as the last coaster for the day. It was really rough and after the turn the lap bar clamped tight on my thighs so hard a ride op had to help me push down on the bar to get out. I think new PTC trains (PTC to keep the "vintage" look) and a thorough re-tracking could do wonders.

UPDATE 6/26/2018:

Zeus (Mt. Olympus): Finally went to Wisconsin Dells (see my Photo TR) and rode the coasters at Mt. Olympus. Of the four wooden coasters, Zeus was the worst of the bunch. Most of the ride was okay, and the straight sections were pretty smooth, but the turnaround was super rough to the point of it hurting. That turnaround section needs re-tracking BAD!

Edited by HowieP

These rides could use some significant retracking:

Apocalypse the Ride (SFMM)

Legend (HW)

Roar (SFDK)

Grizzly (KD)

These rides could use a topper track replacement (limited layout modifications):

Voyage (HW)

Boss (SFStL)

GhostRider (KBF)

These rides could use a full I-Box makeover (essentially a complete redesign):

Cyclone (SFNE)

Colossus (SFMM)

Monstre (LR)

Predator (DL)

Mean Streak (CP)

These rides could use a bulldozer :

Hurler (both)

Wild Beast (CW)

Wildcat (LC)

Grizzly (CGA)

Cyclone (SFNE)

Colossus (SFMM)

Monstre (LR)

Predator (DL)

Mean Streak (CP)

Hurler (both)

Wild Beast (CW)

Wildcat (LC)

Grizzly (CGA)

I totally agree with those ! I would love to see Le Monstre get an I-box makeover (it has quite a nice layout), and Wild Beast at CW is awful and is overdue for the wrecking ball.

Apocalypse the Ride (SFMM)

Legend (HW)

Roar (SFDK)

Grizzly (KD)

These rides could use a topper track replacement (limited layout modifications):

Voyage (HW)

Boss (SFStL)

GhostRider (KBF)

Cyclone (SFNE)

Colossus (SFMM)

Monstre (LR)

Predator (DL)

Mean Streak (CP)

Hurler (both)

Wild Beast (CW)

Wildcat (LC)

Grizzly (CGA)

I agree with all of those except for The Boss. I think it would be best to do an I-Box makeover for it. Its the perfect candidate IMO.

In my opinion, we need Iron Eagle! They should i-box at least one side.

I'm genuinely curious as to why all of you who want Rocky Mountain to refurbish racing coasters only want them to do one side. What's the point?!?

I've thought the same thing. You think both sides are bad now! Wait until one goes untouched by RMC!!!!!

Topper track one side with the original layout and Iron Horse one side with crazy elements. Or moreover, connect them together and make it more unique.

Just as some on here wish to have been able to ride, or wish the rest of us could have ridden, Ghost Rider at its best, I wish everyone could have experienced Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun when it was new. KICK YOUR BUTT AWESOME! Please, Cedar Fair, bring that beautiful ride back to its greatness.

Topper track one side with the original layout and Iron Horse one side with crazy elements. Or moreover, connect them together and make it more unique.

Consider Lightning Racer at Hersheypark. It was designed in a way that, with fully-loaded trains, you couldn't predict which train was going to win until right before the finish line. Yet, for some strange reason, everyone thinks that the Lightning side will always win and there will usually be more people riding the Lightning side for that reason.

Deliberately making one side of Colossus more "extreme" or "intense" or making it have a drastically different ride experience will mean that the "better" side will always get more ridership. That will pretty much eliminate what (apparently) makes Colossus fun, and that's the racing element.

Consider Lightning Racer at Hersheypark. It was designed in a way that, with fully-loaded trains, you couldn't predict which train was going to win until right before the finish line. Yet, for some strange reason, everyone thinks that the Lightning side will always win and there will usually be more people riding the Lightning side for that reason.

Deliberately making one side of Colossus more "extreme" or "intense" or making it have a drastically different ride experience will mean that the "better" side will always get more ridership. That will pretty much eliminate what (apparently) makes Colossus fun, and that's the racing element.

My idea is that the train will use polyurethane wheels, the right side will be topper tracked with the original layout, and after the brake run, modify the cross, connect the right side to the left side so the train enters the station of the left side. The station area and pre-lift area of the left side can be turned into some sort of dark ride. After the lift hill, the track switch from Topper Track to I-Beam Track and finish the Iron Colossus section. The train enters the modified cross after the brake run, enter the station of the right side and the journey ends there.

If the despatch can be right at the time when the train at the left side gets out of the dark ride section, it can turn into an unique dueling coaster.

Outlaw Run's track switch twice between Topper Track and I-Beam track so it shouldn't be a problem. And consider that Colossus has a pretty long brake section connected to the station, Maybe an unloading platform can fit in there if storage track can get a better solution.

Sorry, you lost me there after you started talking about polyurethane wheels. Your "idea" should really go in the "crazy idea" thread.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Outlaw Run has wooden-framed Topper track for its entire length.

I agree with you completely.

Furthermore, let's pretend for a minute that this really happened and we had a steel side of Colossus and a wood side of Colossus. Knowing that this is Six Flags Magic Mountain, how often do you think the wood side would be operating and how well would it be maintained? There would be a garbage can in front of the queue line for the wood side directing people to the other side 10 months out of the year and then after a few years of complete neglect they would probably just leave it SBNO.

Would love to see Ghostrider restored to its original glory. At one time, this was among the best coasters on the planet. Now...not so much.

dt

I agree with you. I could see a lot of potential in Ghostrider when I rode it. Unfortunately I don't find it enjoyable at all in its current state.

Just as some on here wish to have been able to ride, or wish the rest of us could have ridden, Ghost Rider at its best, I wish everyone could have experienced Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun when it was new. KICK YOUR BUTT AWESOME! Please, Cedar Fair, bring that beautiful ride back to its greatness.

I agree with both of these comments. My only rides on Ghostrider were in 2001, and I couldn't believe how great it was! It was closed during WCB this year, and deep down I was kind of happy because I don't want to have those rides from 2001 tainted by Ghostrider in its current state.

As for Timer Wolf... I think my first ride was in 1994, and it was an incredible ride. WOF is a yearly visit for me, and I can't remember the last time I rode Timber Wolf. It's just terrible now.

Sorry, you lost me there after you started talking about polyurethane wheels. Your "idea" should really go in the "crazy idea" thread.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Outlaw Run has wooden-framed Topper track for its entire length.

I mean the wheels with a polyurethane layer. Outlaw Run's transfer track is I-Beam so I think that could be count as a track style switch. During the lift hill with a relatively low speed, the track can switch from topper track to I-Beam track smoothly.

Would love to see Ghostrider restored to its original glory. At one time, this was among the best coasters on the planet. Now...not so much.

dt

Such stories of the glories of Ghostrider have since become legends.