TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Oh jesus effing christ can all these parks just stop with these Mondial experiments? This is such garbage that the park has to put up with this crap. It's a mediocre, semi simple flat ride, and Mondial screws that up to? When you see some of the flats at carnivals and how intricate they are, and how they're stored, shipped, and up and running weekly, then see 2 back to back permanent installations which can't make the cut, I think that's pretty absurd.

Personally, I don't find a Space Roller to be a mediocre ride... I actually think they're pretty fun.

And not defending them completely, but to be fair, the original Windseeker is still working just fine in Worlds of Fun. Rode it myself this week. That was more of an OSCHA problem, not as much a Mondial one.

Back to my original question, now that 'seasonal maintenance" has been ruled out... Is Mondial seriously a problem company overall?

Their rides in general are some of the more fun in the flatride category and they've come up with some great ideas, however it's very, very clear their rides are meant for travelling use only since it seems they can't get it right with park installations. (with a few exceptions but usually those are of a ride that's had it's problems dealt with already)

And even with their fair rides like rollovers and supernovas there's issues with parking, ride takes 2 minutes: parking takes another 2 before the computer says "you can open the restraints now".

Then of course there's stress issues and now this, plus with for example their splashover rides they can't even flip the cars anymore.

I find it hilarious that Cedar Fair, the company that time after time purchases coasters from B&M due to their "reliability," proceeds to purchase flats from Mondial that give them headache after headache. Hopefully Knott's can sort out any problems as quickly as possible with Sol Spin. Even if the ride's cycle remains unchanged, it's still a great ride that was really needed in a park that has removed so many thrilling flats over the last few years.

If parks only bought "reliable rides", there wouldn't be much variety throughout the industry.

In this case, I would guess Sol Spin was offered to them at a discount given the Windseeker situation, so Knott's probably wasn't exposing themselves to much risk...

I'm a little surprised the park hasn't done any teasing for this new ride yet. Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, and CGA have all done so already. Is it because this ride likely won't be announced until November? Just an observation.

Yeah it's probably because Knott's always announced later than other parks in the chain

I'm a little surprised the park hasn't done any teasing for this new ride yet. Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, and CGA have all done so already. Is it because this ride likely won't be announced until November? Just an observation.

If the ride isn't announced in August when all other CF parks announce, than whatever is coming on that spot is for 2019. lack of an announcement means RMC Mean Streak and Hurler situation, a full off season project. However, I think it's coming in 2018 and will be announced in August.

Knott's has a history of making announcements in the November-January time frame. Cedar Fair will mention it in the investors conference call with the other announcements to note that there is $$$ going to it, but refrain from providing details.

I was just at the park today... not only is Boardwalk BBQ open (just today), but believe it or not, Sol Spin has returned---and with a longer ride cycle! It now does 5 full speed rotations, plus a 6th slowed down to end the cycle. I believe that before, it was only 2 full speed rotations with a 3rd slowed down, wasn't it? If so, then it's doubled in length. Tweeted about it at my rideguy70 account. So much for the Sol Spin naysayers! Employees said it reopened yesterday.

I was just at the park today... not only is Boardwalk BBQ open (just today), but believe it or not, Sol Spin has returned---and with a longer ride cycle! It now does 5 full speed rotations, plus a 6th slowed down to end the cycle. I believe that before, it was only 2 full speed rotations with a 3rd slowed down, wasn't it? If so, then it's doubled in length. Tweeted about it at my rideguy70 account. So much for the Sol Spin naysayers! Employees said it reopened yesterday.

I just went back and found this video from April. It made four rotations. One getting up to speed. Two at full speed. And one slowing down.

All rights to the channel 'Parks and Cons'.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I just went back and found this video from April. It made four rotations. One getting up to speed. Two at full speed. And one slowing down.

All rights to the channel 'Parks and Cons'.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Wow, that was anticlimactic at best. I would not wait in line for that short of a cycle.

^^ O boy. I didn't even notice before but not only is this basically a new ride from mondial in the sense that it's bigger than a typical top scan, also instead of basically the whole ride raising up and tilting when the ride starts, only the part connected to the arm itself does. No wonder it has issues.