TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Major Theme Park for Fort Myers!!?

So I figure some of our Hard Rock Park / Freestyle Fail / Orlando Fall Through park experts can take a look at this new concept that seems to be moving ahead for the time being.

http://www.gamenationparks.com/

I gotta be honest, I have no clue what this is about and haven't done the research but I don't really see the "World's First Experiential Video Game Theme Park & Resort" taking off in Fort Myers, Florida!

They have some 'names' attached to the project and some funding, but it all seems really sketchy. http://www.gamenationparks.com/gn-team/

Anyone want to do some digging and see what you come up with?

Thoughts?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrolled pretty deep down their Facebook page and found they opened it in 2010. It's been nothing but an "idea" since as far as I could tell. No plans or ideas about any specific attractions, or what kind of experiences they want to pull into the four sections of their park, which are called Alternet, Chroma, Xeridon, and Etheria. They've done some research though, going to gaming conventions and even attending last year's IAAPA.

Purely my opinion, but the people coming up with this park don't really seem like business men, or people with the money to even break ground with this. Just some guys who were playing on their Xbox one day and though "what if someone made a video game theme park?" Then felt they should take it into their own hands to do so.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I surely don't expect anything with big-ish rides like Freestyle, or something that requires an exorbitance from both public and government like the Noah's Ark in Northern Kentucky.

Does anyone know how well Joypolis and Sega Republic are doing? If anything, I think that those entertainment centers should be the benchmark for this thing.

At a glance, this does sound interesting, and I'm sure, some day, we'll have a fully interactive, immersive, day-long, theme park/adventure experience. (Universal is taking a big step towards this with their two-park Harry Potter deal.) Execution is everything and it's hard to tell from that site just how they plan on executing their ideas. I do like the "Matrix-y" Alternet zone concept. It's all VERY ambitious, though.

Yeah, Fort Myers???

Seems like they want to try to build a modern version of DisneyQuest. Of course, that will take WAY more money than what they actually have or can turn a profit on...

I could see this video game/theme park melding as a gateway to the future where parks are all virtual. Where even the coasters are in environmentally-controlled, simulated envonments, with no need for track, supports, or anything.

Imagine how this would cut down on down time!

Year-round parks with no weather constraints!

If you lose your hat on the coaster, just wait until the vehicle comes to a stop and run across the room to retrieve it!

Parks could brag about having 30, 40 coasters, and still be able to house them all in one 10,000 square-foot show building!

Then that could lead to the day when really rich kids could just have their daddy buy all their favorite coasters for their very own home! Hey, Jimmy, my dad just bought me The Voyage! Come over to my basement and we can ride it! My dad says if I'm good, he'll buy me BOTH Chinese Fireball AND Hungarian Horntail!

^I don't think the concept this park is going for are simulated rides as much as it's about you creating a character and the more you do and interact with within the park, the more points and experience you build up. I think they're trying to do a life sized version of Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft kind of thing, not coaster simulations.

I will say, the one thing about this area that is probably attracting potential investors is that we're smack dab in between two very large drive markets. Two hours south of Tampa/St. Pete, and two hours west of the Ft.Lauderdale/Miami metro.

The reason I don't see this park working, though, is that our demographic to the Lee County area, are more natural based family attractions like Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Edison & Ford Winter Estates, Calusa Blueway Kayak trail... We're more about nature than alternative-reality. I think what would be a great park for the Fort Myers area would be a small ecological park. Something that showcases educates about South Florida wildlife while still having interactive elements for the kids.

If this happens, I'll see it being related to Hard Rock Park. People don't go to Myrtle Beach for a theme park, they go to be lazy on a beach!

A source tells me it looks like this is already under hot water. Looks like the conference that was slated for August might be pushed back to November. The conference is where they plan to test out the game technology for the parks. Rumor has it that the park might not be in the Fort Myers area or even Lee County, but might be in Punta Gorda, which is just 30 minutes north.

That being said, word travels this town like a game of Telephone you played in elementary school, so who knows.

This still has A LOT of hurdles to jump through before we see anything concrete emerge. It doesn't seem they're organized enough to get this through.

Their concept sounds like it would be a pretty amazing experience, if they could actually make it work. I'd certainly love to spend a day there. Don't expect to see it happening, though...

It is a place where your dreams and fantasies will come to life.

...unless the place never gets built. Which it won't.

Fort Myers? Must've been "promised" some pretty nice tax breaks.

At the roller coaster museum (or whatever it is), they need to have an exhibit dedicated to all the dimwitted park ideas and concepts over the years that never made it past the concept art phase......and a special wing reserved for Hard Freestyle Park, of course.

The idea isn't bad, video games could be quite a good theme for a park (assuming they pick the right IPs and focus on immersing you in the world rather than having you play them), but Ft. Myers? Why on earth would you put it there? Sure there's something like 1.1 million people in this and the surrounding counties, but it's not exactly a vacation destination. It's too far from Orlando and Tampa to attract the normal theme park crowd, and too far from Miami to attract from that massive populous. To the north is the sticks, to the west is the Gulf of Mexico, to the south is a decent populous in Naples (albeit one that is decidedly too old and wealthy to be attracted by a video game theme park), and the East is swamp. And that's it. This is ignoring the fact that their website looks like it's trying to sell concert tickets and they have no evident ideas (beyond the very general) or funding.

The only way I could see this working is if it was either very small scale (DisneyQuest-ish) or moved and they managed to somehow find capital. That seems decidedly unlikely.

• 4 weeks later...

This was in the news over the weekend. More about the proposed park. Seems like they've moved the date from August to November, and are planning on a block party type celebration and are going to be testing game 'technology' that will be used for the park (if it ever gets that far).

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013306220019

I live downtown, so I'll be forced to take place in the activities. (Should be interesting). I'm not a 'gamer' myself, but the concept does seem interesting. I just think their location is a bit odd. More power to them though. I'm all about getting Fort Myers recognition on a global scale as I work for the tourism industry here, but remain skeptical.

The only way I think a video game theme park would work is if they used IPs that were known world wide and had mass appeal, like Nintendo characters. A World of Nintendo Theme Park with different themed lands to Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Donkey Kong Country, etc would be awesome, but it would to have to be more like a conventional theme park with some interactive experiences. It could be indoor/outdoor like Ferrari World so it could be open year round in a place like NYC or Seattle (Nintendo's US HQ - though I don't know if Seattle has the market or tourism to support this) or Las Vegas (I feel a world class theme park would do well there) and/or a location in Nintendo's home market of Japan. This is the video game theme park I would like to see, but it would have to be at least as big as Ferrari World, as opposed to the size of Sega Joypolis. I wish Nintendo would team up with a major theme park company to make this happen.

So, I don't know how to interpret this "vision plan", but it seems they are going to use well known characters? I don't know. It also seems like they're going to try and build up their following first? It's all so weirdddddd!

http://www.gamenationparks.com/files/2013/5458/9822/GN_The_Vision.pdf

Dubailand in Fort Myers, Florida? Yeah.... we'll see.