TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasting for Kids 2012 - Be part of Team TPR!

Okay, so, I'm seriously considering doing this, it sounds like a lot of fun for a great cause.

If Dorney would release their itinerary, I'd be a complete lock for me. I really need to know what time the event runs for.

Even though I am already signed up for Dorney I want them to release the itinerary so bad! It will just make it way more exciting even though its probably going to be Steel Force. I am just excited to get to the park again and get on all of the coasters. I actually really like their coaster collection especially Talon and Thunderhawk!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the next few days I'll be highlighting our dining options here at GKTW. I've already introduced you to the favorite, the Ice Cream Palace, where families can enjoy frozen treats all day long. While I've seen some of our guests attempt it, I'm not certain one can survive on ice cream alone for an entire week!

For more traditional meals, the Gingerbread House Restaurant (GBH) is open for breakfast and dinner each day.

GBH.JPG.53af34f85ec07552c992e3b30ad63139.JPG

The breakfast menu has everything to get your day started right, from homemade waffles and sausage to eggs and bacon...or, for Southerners, grits and biscuits & gravy. The dinner menu changes daily-- highlights are Italian night on Wednesday and Christmas dinner on Thursday (oh my, I haven't even told you about Christmas every week yet!). The GBH even hosts a poolside cookout on Tuesday nights.

It's also important to point out that our chefs cater to every special dietary need you could imagine-- vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, allergies, kosher, pureed and, every now and then, the kids who eat nothing but hot dogs.

Since the GBH's opening in 1990, Perkins Restaurant & Bakery (or Marie Callender's for you West Coast people) has provided delicious and cost-free meals to GKTW families. The GBH serves more than 350,000 meals each year. Numbers are impressive, but certainly don't due Perkins' dedication to the Village justice. There are four full-time managers on Perkins' payroll that spend their days exclusively at GKTW. The staff work hard to plan and prepare meals, while volunteers serve food, pour drinks, carry trays, bus tables, do dishes and keep the place spic 'n span day in and day out.

673225671_0580GingerbreadHouseRestaurant.JPG.8028a09a4722f8cf5cd634b5ddc98552.JPG

Check out the real peppermint candies in the tables! And the dolls and stuffed animals that line the shelves, all donated by families who have stayed with us.

Back to Perkins for a moment. You'll notice at every Perkins Restaurant register, there is a coin collection box for GKTW. During the Spring, they do a campaign for us where customers make a donation to personalize a "Circle of Hope" to hang in the restaurant. On September 15, Perkins restaurants across the country will be serving up free short stacks of pancakes in exchange for donations. Every time I dine at Perkins, I make it a point to thank them for all they do for GKTW.

Yeah, I know...I'm sounding like a sell-out. But here's the thing-- Perkins started this arrangement with a handshake with our founder and has never looked back since. There are no contracts, no expectations for anything in return. In fact, none of the corporations that so generously give to GKTW shout it to our families. When you dine in the Gingerbread House, you see no signs that say "Brought to you by Perkins." In the Ice Cream Palace, you won't find a "Sponsored by Breyers" sign. The playground doesn't have "Hasbro" plastered all over it. We keep it like this to uphold the whimsical atmosphere of the Village that allows families to truly enjoy their time spent together. It also helps us ensure that the corporations we partner with are helping out because it aligns with their values and not with their pocketbook.

very cool place.... I haven't seen a Perkins since I was a young'un roaming the mean streets of Cincinnati and that's been 28 yrs ago. I loved Perkins back then and didn't think there was any around anymore. I'm thinking its time for a road trip.

Another very cool update Kara! I loved Perkins restaurants as a kid, but sadly there aren't too many around close to where I am.

Dorney's Team TPR riders are sitting at $1,945 raised.....so close to breaking the $2,000 mark! Kudos to all my Dorney teammates! Let's get Team Dorney up over $2,000!

Hey everybody:

First off, a huge thanks to Kara for all the amazing updates and for everyone who has been supporting Team TPR at Canada's Wonderland so far! Hopefully, we can crack the $1,000 mark before June!

In addition, I've personally been enjoying everyones TRs that have been posted in support of Coasting for Kids. It's been a while since I've done one and I came across a lot of pics that I haven't shared on TPR from my favourite part of the world so far -- Scandinavia! Won't you help me help you make it your favorite too? It'll be a great way to get these up and let you check out the area, especially if you're considering a visit on a future TPR trip!

The next person to click on my link and offer a donation will get to pick from the following parks and I'll get and awesome TR up!

You get to pick one of the following:

Tivoli Gardens

Bakken

Hansa Park

Legoland Billund

Sommerland Syd/ Farup Sommerland/ Tivoli Friheden/ Karolinelund Combo

Djurs Sommerland

Tusenfryd

Liseburg

Skara Sommarland/ Grona Lund Combo

Power Park

Sarkanniemi

Linnanmaki

Also, please don't forget about the hotel auction if you're thinning about Leviathan Bash! Click on the link below for more info!

Even though I am already signed up for Dorney I want them to release the itinerary so bad! It will just make it way more exciting even though its probably going to be Steel Force. I am just excited to get to the park again and get on all of the coasters. I actually really like their coaster collection especially Talon and Thunderhawk!

Yeah, it's not the coasters I'm worried about, it's the timeframe. I need to know when the event starts and ends, so I know if I'm able to go, because as of now if it ends too late I won't be able to.

Don't you just love Fridays, especially friday the 13th?! I do and so I'll be matching donations, $.50 for every $1 donated! And if you donate $13.00 I'll throw in an extra dollar as well! I'll be matching up to $150 dollars in donations, that's $75 more for this good cause. Let's raise some money! Offer good till 8pm PST.

Katie's Kitchen is another one of the dining options at the Village. Katie's serves lunch and dinner each day and families are able to order and pick-up at the window, or call and have it delivered directly to their villa.

KK.jpg.4fe7cdb0c193f6e836c28706d9195405.jpg

Boston Market provides the food here, serving up family favorites like chicken pot pie, rotisserie chicken, gourmet sides, salads, sandwiches and kids meals. Like the GBH, Katie's has a full-time Boston Market employee who runs this unique restaurant and volunteers who serve and deliver the food.

DSC_0022.JPG.7657b79660459f56cf2b29ff710cf587.JPG

Boston Market supports GKTW by donating not only their resources, but their time and treasure as well. Throughout the year, Boston Market employees volunteer at the Village to tackle large-scale projects such as landscaping. Every holiday season, their restaurants offer a coupon book for $1 with profits benefiting GKTW. In 2011, they donated $831,000 to GKTW, bringing their total contributions to more than $2.2 million.

The families love being able to come together for wholesome meals at Katie's Kitchen. There's also a program that allows GKTW staff and volunteers to purchase meal vouchers valid at Katie's for a discount. I am beyond addicted to their chocolate chip cookies!

Agreed! I have to say Kara, it has become a highlight of my day to see what the latest update is showing off another piece of GKTW! Everything is so beautifully done there. If I ever visit the area, I would be VERY tempted to come over and volunteer for a day (if they even allow that) and see the wonder of this place in person. I honestly wish my funds would allow me to donate even more to this cause!!

And hooray for Dorney's Team TPR, as we are officially up over $2,000 raised!! Imagine what we could raise by June 10th!

And Team TPR falls even further behind at Cedar Point. C'mon guys, kick it into gear!!!!

http://www.firstgiving.com/gktw/CedarPoint

Well, I had to donate to a friend from ACE who's doing it at Cedar Point (although she's not on any team), so I matched the donation to a member of Team TPR at CP. Fair, right? And it brings Team TPR a little closer to Team GOCC, which is mostly one person, who's admittedly doing a tremendous job!

But this does bring up an interesting point. Most of the Team TPR people out here are relying on other TPR members for their donations. With so many Team TPR members doing the coaster-thon, that really spreads out the donations. If we want to really hit big numbers, it's important to get people in your regular (non-TPR) life to make donations too!

Now if only we had a Cedar Fair park in New England!

For families in a rush to head out to the parks in the morning, Express Start Breakfast is available. Here, families can grab omelets, bacon, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, yogurt, bananas and cereal on the go. Does the sign look familiar? That's because Express Start is donated by InterContinental Hotels (IHG) group, the company that operates hotels like Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Staybridge and Candlewood Suites. You've probably had an Express Start breakfast at a Holiday Inn location...if so, you know their cinnamon rolls are to die for!

ExpressStart.JPG.95827eccb52795d40993a1866a35e794.JPG

Fun fact, the Express Start counter is located in the Ice Cream Palace...so families can get a little creative! I met one mom who LOVED a scoop of vanilla ice cream in her coffee, and a boy named Dustin that enjoyed placing two strips of bacon on top of his ice cream for breakfast.

IHG has been a supporter of GKTW since the beginning. The Village's founder, Henri Landwirth, was a respected Central Florida hotelier who opened his doors to wish children and their families to help make their dream vacations come true. When one such child passed away before that dream could be realized, Henri recognized the need to make arrangements virtually overnight, so that no child would be denied his or her wish. GKTW was founded in 1986. It operated out of Henri's Holiday Inn until 1989, when he opened GKTW Village.

IHG has been a supporter of GKTW since the beginning. The Village's founder, Henri Landwirth, was a respected Central Florida hotelier who opened his doors to wish children and their families to help make their dream vacations come true. When one such child passed away before that dream could be realized, Henri recognized the need to make arrangements virtually overnight, so that no child would be denied his or her wish. GKTW was founded in 1986. It operated out of Henri's Holiday Inn until 1989, when he opened GKTW Village.

Not going to lie, this totally made me tear up. Damnit, I do have a heart!

OMFG! My boss just donated to my Coasting For Kids page! You will not believe how much he donated!!!!! He made two donations. One personally from his family, and one from my work. He is such a nice guy. I am so lucky to work with him! Check it out!

Capture3.JPG.42d579184218c4bca225f3a8e3c2507f.JPG

WOW!

OMFG! My boss just donated to my Coasting For Kids page! You will not believe how much he donated!!!!! He made two donations. One personally from his family, and one from my work. He is such a nice guy. I am so lucky to work with him! Check it out!

WOW AMAZING! That just goes to show there are great people out there! Congrads!