TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasting for Kids 2012 - Be part of Team TPR!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the memorable experiences families enjoy during their stay at Give Kids The World Village, the one that delights them most is having ice cream any time of day. The Village's Ice Cream Palace (ICP) is straight out of every child's dream-- a whimsical building constructed of giant-sized ice cream cones, popsicle sticks and toppings that is open each day from 7:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. Wish children and their families enjoy unlimited cones, sundaes and shakes, with dairy-free and special topping options so that everyone (including those with special dietary needs) can join in. Our wonderful friends at Unilever have recently made a commitment to supply as much Breyers ice cream as the families care to eat. The ICP is staffed exclusively by volunteers throughout the day.

During their stay, we encourage the families to enjoy ice cream for breakfast at least one time during their vacation. Of course, many families indulge in ice cream for breakfast every morning! This carefree spirit is exactly what the Village is all about. For kids that are used to hearing "no" or "we can't do that" in relation to their condition, GKTW is a week of being told "yes."

The "ice cream for breakfast" concept has been such a hit, we've even started a nationwide fundraising and awareness campaign of the same name that takes place each July where we encouraging businesses, communities and individuals to gather together over sundaes and share in the spirit of the Village.

ICP.JPG.63557500c3378ffc79bfa6352322564f.JPG

Random question, does this link work for anyone else?

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/daviddemarest/CaliforniasGreatAmerica

I was checking out people on the first page here to see where they stood, so when I get paid, I can get another round of donations going, and I got an error when I clicked on their page.

Today was a great milestone for me as I've now hit and gone over 50% of my goal. I am slowly inching my way up to reach and hopefully exceed my goal. Great job everyone...it's great to see how much we have all come together for such a great cause.

Keep up the great work.

Okay TPR donators, in honor of the upcoming Easter holiday (and helped by our just received tax refund), I'm going to try something today. It's time for:

Good Giving Friday!!

Here's how it works - From now until 8pm Eastern time, I will match every donation made to my fundraising page, dollar for dollar, up to a total matching amount of $75 for the day. Here's your chance to make a donation to GKTW and have double the effect! Your $5 donation becomes $10; your $20 donation becomes $40! Let's keep up the wonderful support of this fantastic organization! To help keep track, please either post in this thread that you donated, or reference TPR in your donation comment.

Okay......ready??

GO!!! Good Giving Friday is underway!

Hey all,

I'm doing the event at Cedar Point, but haven't had a chance to post much here since I've been working on getting a software release out the door at work. THANKS to those who have sent donations! I'll get a profile up here with a bit more about me soon.

I'm excited for this event, not so much for the coaster marathon (I'm starting to get too old to think that 8 hours on a coaster sounds AWESOME), but because it's a great chance to use one of my favorite activities to bring awareness to the amazing things GKTW is doing for families looking for a bit of an "escape".

I'm in awe of the amount of support TPR has shown towards Coasting for Kids, which really makes me understand more completely why I call this forum "home"

Today's story involves a Vekoma that makes people happy! So happy, in fact, that I had to post three photos instead of just one.

enchantedcarousel.jpg.b880de3184e560172acccb50a1bb8c49.jpg

The Enchanted Carousel is the Village's most iconic structure. Under the whimsical red and white mushroom sit 22 hand-carved animals. What makes this carousel special is that it is fully flush with the floor, unlike most that are elevated above the ground. This allows wheelchairs to roll right on board where there are 2 animals specially-designed to accommodate riders securely in their chairs.

The carousel is a HUGE hit amongst GKTW guests, and during the morning and evening it's running continuously. I've heard stories of families who made it a point to ride every time they walked past, multiple times each day.

There's nothing quite as magical as a princess on her horse--

829960455_carousel(37).JPG.1dd29296313938470458269d69b2bcd2.JPG

And check out this great photo and quote I recently received from a family--

Carousel.jpg.241aea85687452180dedadce44b40e10.jpg

"One of our first things we did was ride the carousel. We were amazed that it was wheelchair accessible. It was so nice to allow Kade to ride the carousel unassisted, not on our lap, or being held. He loved riding the carousel and opened his eyes and even smiled while riding, it brought tears to our eyes." --Kade's Dad

As for Vekoma, they're amazing in my book. They donated this specially-built carousel back in 1992 and have been big supporters of the Village ever since. Last year, they donated $10k in celebration of GKTW's 25th anniversary.

What a great carousel, that little princess is cute. I was never lucky enough to have a daughter but I still love my 2 boys with all my heart and wouldn't give them up for anything. Thank you Kara for the awesome pics and helping us learn all about such a fabulous place that does such good work.

What a great carousel, that little princess is cute. I was never lucky enough to have a daughter but I still love my 2 boys with all my heart and wouldn't give them up for anything. Thank you Kara for the awesome pics and helping us learn all about such a fabulous place that does such good work.

I've been copying Kara's TPR over to Facebook and tagging her and my wife so the album will show up on their profile. If anyone else would like to be tagged so we can share this album and spread it even more just send me a friends request with TPR in the comments so I know who is sending me a friends request and I will be more than happy to tag anyone and everyone if it helps spread the word about GKTW. Here is my fb link:

http://www.facebook.com/michael.a.kaiser

GO TPR!!!

Kara, thanks for that awesome story and insight into that lovely carousel! Also, thanks for the donation for Good Giving Friday.

Okay TPR donators, in honor of the upcoming Easter holiday (and helped by our just received tax refund), I'm going to try something today. It's time for:

Good Giving Friday!!

Here's how it works - From now until 8pm Eastern time, I will match every donation made to my fundraising page, dollar for dollar, up to a total matching amount of $75 for the day. Here's your chance to make a donation to GKTW and have double the effect! Your $5 donation becomes $10; your $20 donation becomes $40! Let's keep up the wonderful support of this fantastic organization! To help keep track, please either post in this thread that you donated, or reference TPR in your donation comment.

Okay......ready??

With the holidays this weekend (and the light response today), I'm going to EXTEND this to become a "Good Giving Easter Weekend"!! Now until 8pm Easter Sunday, I will still be matching each donation made to my fundraising page.....dollar for dollar.....and will also up the total matching amount I will cover for the weekend to $100! So, if I can accumulate $100 in donations by Sunday night, GKTW actually gets $200!!

Please consider supporting Good Giving Easter Weekend. And thank you for the continued support!

Good Giving Friday!!

Okay......ready??

$15 for the cause. TPR is that much closer to $10,000.

Hey everyone, I'm closing in on the $500 mark and would love to hit it today, so for each $5 donation I'll give another $1 and for each $10 or more donation I'll give $5 more! All my matching donations will go to other fundraisers!