TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How do you deal with the heat at amusement parks?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit every beer stand they have and if they don't sell beer at the park you're at, bring a flask of Jack Daniels...just make sure it's plastic and you have cargo pants with zippers or buttons so you don't lose it on the rides.

Yeah...water parks and water rides also help.

Edit - make that cargo SHORTS and not cargo pants...sorry!

• 3 years later...

I lived in Florida for a few years, so now that I'm in Minnesota, the summer heat doesn't bother me that much. Still, whenever I go to a park from June through August, I always wear sunscreen, and I'll visit water fountains frequently. If I do find myself really getting hot, I'll try to find some shade, or I'll just fan myself with a park map or something similar. I may occasionally go on a water ride, but those tend to have the longest lines when it's hot, and water rides are usually dominated by small children.

i do terrible in the heat, no matter what i'm doing. used to run a lot, and you could easily see in times in races, 5k,10k, half marathon, the differences it makes.

at amusement parks, i just simply try not to go. also, i've lived pretty much my entire life in so.cal. so i'm not accustomed to much humidity at all. one of the worst days recently was a day, really just a few hours, at SFGA last month. best i can do is try to drink a good amount of water and frequent dunks of the head in the restroom. lol

2, back to back 97 degree days at Magic Mountain last weekend felt like nothing compared to that day at great america. the best thing to get over the heat is when the air gates open and you get on the coaster.

My fiancee and I broke down and bought the misting fans at SFGAm this year. Yeah, they were $12, but they were a decent investment. Problem is, if you're misting yourself down with water, make sure you reapply your SPF when the time comes to do so.

Try to avoid wearing darker clothes if you can help it. Or long jeans. Dark clothes (especially black) tend to attract heat.

I usually chew ice cubes for the whole day. When I finish a cup, I ask for a free refill at the closest restaurant. I normally don't stop to rest for the whole day, don't watch shows, walk as fast as I can and wear the black TPR shirt at parks so chewing ice cubes is kind of necessary to keep me alive. Not to mention they are free.

People keep saying get free ice water, but do know some parks don't offer free ice water. At Lagoon, I got the rude awakening as they told me I had to pay .50 for it. It definitely isn't breaking the bank, but scavenging for profit in a desert is not exactly a wise choice.

^ Ocean Park doesn't offer free ice water or ice cubes, so I normally buy a Slurpee and keep the cup for ice cubes, but only some restaurants offer ice cubes for free. Just saying that because at least you don't need to run around Lagoon to look for a restaurant that are "nice" to give you ice (the Slurpee at Ocean Park is around $5)

I am the absolute worst when it comes to heat. I become like Madea trapped in a skinny little white boys body. When it comes to heat at theme parks I simply can not deal. I will buy VIP passes or anything I can to avoid having to wait in lines. If I'm hot and waiting in line I will be set off into a tangent by the slightest things.

I try to take frequent breaks to get out of the heat and into AC. I also try to ensure I always have a bottle of water handy.

Sadly when I get overheated I get to the point I can't ride roller coasters because of the pain my body is already in. So, I be sure to balance water rides, indoor rides, and roller coasters together to keep from being in the heat to long.

Also, I prefer to visit parks in the fall season. It's cooler. And the lines are always much smaller!

Proper clothing is the key and of course water. Cotton kills is the outdoorsman's mantra. Synthetic moisture wicking shirts, pants/shorts and underwear are critical. Wool socks cannot hold as much moisture as cotton and will dry much faster and keep your feet cool. Add a synthetic or silk sock liner to further protect against blisters. Wrap your water bottle with a couple of turns of duct tape. If you feel any kind of hotspot on your feet STOP and cover it immediately. Don't be afraid to stop by first aid have have them help you out anytime you are uncomfortable, it's free and you paid for it with your admission. Wide brimmed synthetic floppy hat that can fold up and stuff in your pocket on rides. Trail runner shoes that drain water are the best. I saw some at Kohls the other day on sale for about $30.

REI can set you up with proper hiking clothing but it does get pricey. Your local Boy Scout shop has uniform cargo shorts/swim trunks for $20 that include a tethered waterproof pouch. They stopped adding the mesh liner recently because of chaffing issures but some are still lurking around, I just cut mine out. I wear those and synthetic REI boxer briefs and switch nicely from water to dry park at SFSTL.

Start investing in proper clothing and all your outdoor adventures will be much more pleasant and safe.

Don't be afraid to stop by first aid have have them help you out anytime you are uncomfortable, it's free and you paid for it with your admission.

This is probably the least used, yet most helpful piece of advice as it applies to all major US parks.

maybe I missed it. . but I always bring along a bandanna and a hat.

several times thruout the day, I'll step into a restroom, wet the bandana, put it on my head and put the hat over it.

that way my neck is protected from the sun, and it helps cool me down.

Like others have said, also drink LOTs of water. . .I'm also one of those particularly vulnerable to the heat (despite living in Texas). . so water, wet bandanna, hat, and sunscreen

Ive been lucky this year to have only been @ a park on one REALLY hot day, otherwise we've been lucky with beautiful weather all season. I just drink a ton of water all day (with a few beers thrown in there). I feel like it helps if I eat and sleep well the few days leading up to a park visit. A good, full nights sleep the night before is crucial. I don't know if other parks have them but the billboards with the mist things on them @ SFGAdv come in handy for a quick cool down.

I think I've never suffered a lot due to heat in amusement parks. That being said, in a week I'll be going to two parks in Madrid and right now they say it will be pretty hot, so I'll see then.

I tend to develop blisters when I walk a lot at a park. Before I go, I put Bandaids on the trouble spots and keep a few extras in my cargo shorts.

Take it from a somewhat experienced Boy Scout leader. Use moleskin or in a pinch duct tape. Wear wool socks, they cannot hold as much moisture and cotton. Band aids as a very last resort as the non adhesive part will still shift and rub. If a blister has already formed cut a doughnut hole in the moleskin and top with a solid piece.

Always do this at the very first sign of discomfort. I have hiked for 7 mikes in the rain with blisters and been fine once I put duct tape over them. Wrap your water bottle with a few turns of duct tape and it will always be handy.

(Moleskin is not the actual skin of a mole. It is a synthetic fabric with adhesive on one side. Available at any drug store.)

1. Go on the fast rides.

Fast rides have a lot of wind in your face so you get a lot of air and you cool down.

2. Water rides.

I guess you know why.

3. Drinks.

^

4. Indoor rides, shows and other stuff.

If everything's crowded, find a shady spot with little or no people. It's cool down there. *puts on sunglasses*

I always wear shorts, a comfortable white t shirt and comfortable WALKABLE shoes. I am not bothered by heat too much but I always make sure that I drink plenty of water. Make sure you get a good night sleep before. Avoid Soda or any other sugary drink. Just stick to water, you can ask for cups of water. Yeah they are small but sometimes I convince them to give me the bigger cup with light ice. You can put off any sugary craving towards the end of the day. If you are not about credit whoring then space out attractions by level of coolness, do the ones you think you will have more wait throughout the day in the morning, that way you do not wait in line in the heat and dont be afraid to watch a corny show or get wet. It really helps a lot.