TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

The only attendance numbers I can find that are set in stone, are that the park did almost 200,000 visitors in 2008, the year after the ride side closed. Are those bad for a 12 acre water park?

That's rock solid for a park of this nature. But like I said earlier, it doesn't matter what the attendance was because they were going to get closed no matter what.

THIS.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the important bit...

However, she said Cedar Fair is planning to remove and dismantle much of what remains on both sides of Geauga Lake, including the Big Dipper.

"While Cedar Fair auctioned off a lot of their equipment and ride paraphernalia, there are a few things left, and both Bainbridge and Aurora are hoping to acquire them to use in our future plans for the area," she said.

The Aurora Historical Society may be interested in acquiring some of what's left, she added.

"We'd like to salvage some of the ride carts," she said. "There's a control panel for the Big Dipper and a variety of odds and ends that we're looking at, and it's my understanding Cedar Fair is willing to donate them."

She said it's in everyone's interest to remove traces of the former amusement and water parks from the property.

Maybe... MAYBE...

We can move Big Dipper to the wave pool and open it as the world's first "Wooden Water Coaster!!!"

Huh? Huh??? How's THAT for an idea????

Yessssss!!!

Let me go start a fund raising page, we'll get a bunch of people with hammers and pick up trucks and we'll get this done!!!

It's a good idea, right? RIGHT????

http://savethebigdipper.com

YES!!!! Prince Desmond lives!

• 3 weeks later...

If you listen closely you can actually hear the sounds of the TPR haters feverishly clicking their print screen buttons to document their outrage that anyone could be celebrating the demise of such a classic, timeless and unimaginably mediocre, forgettable coaster that nobody cared about while it was operating.

If you listen closely you can actually hear the sounds of the TPR haters feverishly clicking their print screen buttons to document their outrage that anyone could be celebrating the demise of such a classic, timeless and unimaginably mediocre, forgettable coaster that nobody cared about while it was operating.

Well, I am sad to see it go... It was an absolutely fantastic coaster! Having said that, it had reached the point where this was inevitable, so might as well get it over with. Heck, I loved Drachen Fire, Big Bad Wolf, and enjoyed Wildcat at Cedar Point, but they're gone, and life goes on. Que sera sera...

Well, I am sad to see it go... It was an absolutely fantastic coaster! Having said that, it had reached the point where this was inevitable, so might as well get it over with.

Honestly, I was surprised it wasn't torn down a LOOOOONG time ago. It's been almost a decade since it ran last, so I don't understand why people would still want it there... for what purpose? To look nice? I know it was an ACE landmark, but really?

I'm sad to see it go but taer the ride down already! I had a lot of great memories and rides on it and considering the state its in now there is no use saving it.

Funny how of all the rides and parks that have closed over the years it seems as if GL and Dipper ended up being one long soap opera.