TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

How did you like Joker? Better than Green Lantern?

That's like saying "How did you like commuting in the Bentley? Better than walking to work? In a hail storm? Uphill both ways? While you were on fire?

I was at the park yesterday, and I would like to say I had a somewhat enjoyable ride on Green Lantern .

That's like saying "How did you like commuting in the Bentley? Better than walking to work? In a hail storm? Uphill both ways? While you were on fire?

I was at the park yesterday, and I would like to say I had a somewhat enjoyable ride on Green Lantern .

I have a feeling they're talking about the Green Lantern in California, not the stand-up. Although from what I've heard, you're statement would still be out of the ordinary regardless of which Green Lantern we're talking about (Haven't been on either one, yet. Not sure if that's a bad thing).

I have a feeling they're talking about the Green Lantern in California, not the stand-up. Although from what I've heard, you're statement would still be out of the ordinary regardless of which Green Lantern we're talking about (Haven't been on either one, yet. Not sure if that's a bad thing).

The people I was with taught me the tricks to riding a stand up coaster just bend your knees and it wasn't that bad.

Still bad, just not nearly as much.

I have a feeling they're talking about the Green Lantern in California, not the stand-up.

As you said, my post would apply either way. Green Lantern in California is the worst coaster I've ever ridden that's still in operation. Green Lantern at Great Adventure isn't much better.

Joker is good. Been a while since a ride scared me at GreatAdv and it did. We got slammed into the restraints on the first of our two flips and mine wasn't very tight and I almost shat myself. I'll have more to say tomorrow, I just got home and I'm tired. We rode a ton and had a great day.

Joker is good. Been a while since a ride scared me at GreatAdv and it did. We got slammed into the restraints on the first of our two flips and mine wasn't very tight and I almost shat myself. I'll have more to say tomorrow, I just got home and I'm tired. We rode a ton and had a great day.

I got slammed into the restraint and headrest on the Free Fly in Texas, my subsequent rides weren't as painful though. That's the crazy part of these things, you really get a different ride every single time.

So a buddy of mine (who isn't a big geek like us) visited both Cedar Point and Dorney this summer and really enjoyed himself at both, since he knows I'm into parks and coasters so we've been talking a bit and I convinced him to buy a season pass during Six Flags recent flash sale. So cheap its ridiculous not to buy one. As we were talking over the last week we got a group of mutual friends together to make plans to hit up the park Sunday and go wild. I was particularly excited since it was a group that hadn't all hung out together in a couple years. When it almost seemed to fall apart, babysitters came through at the last minute and we made it happen. It was fun acting as the tour guide for the group showing them around since most of them hadn't been to the park since the 90s.

We were up and out of Philly early and after breakfast on the road, got to the park right at 10:30, and I knew it would be light based on the fact that we had no wait at the tolls and got a decent parking spot. This was reinforced by the fact that we got through security in 5 minutes and the main gate in another 5 minutes (and we processed mine and buddies 2017 passes). It was a BAFF day, and turned out the park was moderately busy but with some strategy we had a great relaxing day, stayed from open til close, got to ride a ton, imbibed appropriately and had some surprisingly decent Six Flags food (to say nothing of how long we waited for it!)

Of course when we got out of the car, Ka was testing and everyone had their eyes on it. Once we got to the fountain all eyes were on me to decided where we should go so of course I took them through the arcade shortcut and over to Toro (which I also saw testing from the lot) - and as we are walking up we see maintenance climbing the first camelback! Not a good sign. The attendant at the entrance of course wouldn't give us an estimate but I had fears it might be a while so I thought screw it let's go get Ka out of the way, and we headed over there. Luckily it had just opened and there was a 10 minute wait - maybe 20 for the front, but we took the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rows, and crap this thing is insane first thing in the morning. Well, always is but first ride of the day seriously WTF. Anyone else feel like Ka's launch is not a steady increase in speed, but more like there are multiple yanks as you travel down the launch track? I don't remember Dragster feeling like this but its been really pronounced on my last couple of Ka rides. It's a little unpleasant.

Anyways, the entire crew LOVED IT and wanted to ride again but I convinced them to not waste time and go for Zumanjaro since we were nearby and we could get it out of the way as there probably wasn't a wait - and I was right. Complete walkon. Much of the group was freaked out, even after riding Ka a few minutes earlier, but after we dropped everyone raved about it. Love this ride.

At this point we saw Toro cycling empty trains and could hear the operator talking over the PA in the station so I checked to see if Safari Discoveries was open and it was! So with a quick peek at the tigers and otters, we were back at the Bull to a station wait. Another hit. Everyone loved it. We walked around and got another ride with a now 10 minute wait (queue filled in quickly). It was now a little before noon but its 5 o'clock somewhere so we decided after two laps on The Bull to pop over to Macho Nacho and grab some shandys. Place was dead and bartender was a little sluggish but wasn't slammed so didnt take us long to get served and were seated enjoying our brews next to the best wooden coaster ever. Nice breeze flowing, catching up, great time. And yes one beer turned into two.

What a better time to get twisted? We headed into Frontier and hit Bizarro which had a station wait. Front row, great ride. Bathroom break and tried to hit up Runaway Mine Train but it had a good 15-20 minute wait, however the Skyway was only a 5 minute wait so we jumped on it (they were running both sides Bill!) to head over toward the east side of the park. At this point I was using the app to check wait times and Batman said 5 minutes while Nitro said an hour. I have been reluctant to rely on the app for wait times but it was very accurate all day yesterday.

Anyways, whoever said Batman was running rough last month in this thread is insane. Smooth as butter and intense as ever. Nice that the air conditioning is working in the tunnel and they added funky disco lights to the giant fan (even tho that wasnt on).

After Batman the group was getting hangry so we went looking at a few places around there, and even with my many attempts to convince everyone to go to Panda Express (or back to Macho Nacho) we wound up going the Primo next to Johnny Rockets across from Coldstone in front of Batman. I had never eaten there and after wait about 30 minutes for 3 groups of people in front of us to order and get their food I saw they had pre-made Grilled Chicken Caesar salads and grabbed one mostly out of fear of waiting 10 more minutes for anything else. My first salad at Six Flags lol. Honestly, it was pretty good. Also, it sat well with me which is most important. The pizza from this place looked absolutely foul. Buddy got fries and they were good, another got a chicken parm sandwich which was also good.

The app still said Nitro was an hour but since we had all just eaten we waited for it anyway while yapping and digesting our food. The line was out into the switchbacks but with all three trains running the wait was about 40 minutes. Not too bad. Back seat ride and pretty great. Not my favorite lap ever but still a good time. Something about it felt a little sluggish. Everyone else loved it and wanted to ride again but no way was I waiting another 40 minutes.

Since I hadn't been to the park since May, my personal goal for the day was to get my first lap on Joker, so with some convincing (some of our group thought it might make them sick) we headed that way and since we're geniuses stopped for a beer (ok 2 beers) at my favorite, Liberty Pub. Empty as always, summer shandy on tap. (They also had Fat Tire, Modelo, and I think Heineken). I love this place.

App all day had been saying Joker was an hour, and after our beers we got in line and waited about 30 minutes total - the line went back into the first two rows of switchbacks. Its fun to watch so the wait was not bad at all. The green side seems to flip a lot more than the purple. We asked for the green side and the attendant said yes - so I wound up sitting facing backwards coming off the lift. As mentioned last night we got two flips, the first of which scared the living sh*t out of me, as we came slamming into the restraints head first toward the ground. Fun, but jarring. Also I did notice - not so much on the ride but while loading - that the vests jab into my collar bones. Uncomfortable but not so much while riding, its hard to focus on that when I'm being thrown all over the place. My general assessment: super fun ride, great addition to our lineup but VERY short, felt like it was over as soon as it began. Would definitely ride again to try different seats/sides, but would not wait more than 15 minutes for it. I liked it a lot though! (And the answer to the question if it was better than Green Lantern - Ive never ridden then one @ SFMM and its light years better than the one @ GreatAdv, though I think its impossible to compare the two).

The whole group had wanted to try Superman, and since I enjoy a lap on it occasionally and love to take first time riders on, we checked the app and it was down from an hour wait it had most of the day to 20 minutes. We headed that way and waited just about that. Fun as always but the general consensus from the group was what I expected - very unique, loop was crazy, rest of the ride is meh. Was nice to not have to wait to long, smart to save it for later.

And yes in case you are wondering, even though they all thought it "looks so cool", "looks fun!", etc I convinced the entire group Green Lantern was a bad idea and that if they wanted to ride it, I'd go get a lap on Toro while they did so. We did come to our first disagreement of the day on what to do next so three of us went to Toro for a PHENOMENAL sunset ride (15 minute wait), which the other half went to check out Ka - an hour wait, they skipped and did Parachutes instead. Have to shout out the Toro crew - they were ripping through trains in the morning and still killing it for our evening ride. Trains dispatching as the previous was hitting the brakes. The guy running the thing was super into it and making us laugh while boarding, and the crew was literally running up and down the train checking restraints. Love to see that kind of hustle!!

We met back up at Macho Nacho for beer o'clock! It was busier than earlier but we still got our beers and sat at the bar as it got dark out and we noticed on the app Skyscreamer (which the group had been marveling at all day) was only 20 minutes so we chugged the last drops of our brews and hauled ass over there for a great (but suddenly freezing) night ride. The temperature dropped really quick and with the light sunburn I got it felt like it was winter up there. Another big hit with everyone, they loved it.

With an hour left and the skies dark we checked the app for Nitro wait times since Nitro is the best night ride in the park and it was down to 20 minutes. It was more like 10. The group wanted a front row ride but not enough seats for all of us so I bee-lined for the back and rode separately from them. Another just average ride on it - I really love Nitro but both my laps yesterday were kinda meh, I really don't know why. Toro more than made up for it - that thing was running like a dream.

Overall a great day. Crowds were totally manageable and the weather was GREAT! Very relaxing, we got to ride a ton, taking nice long beer breaks and going at a non-hurried pace. My only complaints were the food service at this park is a joke at dining plan places. I cant imagine if they had serious crowds yesterday. Nitro crew sucked on both of our rides - dilly dallying, talking, very lazy and uninterested. Little bummed I didn't get to take them on RMT or Skull Mountain but we hit all the big dogs and generally everyone seemed to have a great day, repeatedly thanking me for being the tour guide and optimizing our time with the app, and my experience with the park. It was also nice to be back after taking the summer off. We all decided we're doing another trip with the same group for HITP, can't wait!

Didn't take many pictures at all - just kinda forgot and wasnt planning on doing a report but here's a handful I did take.

Kingda Ka

Zumanjaro

El Toro x3

Bizarro

Skyway

Batman

Nitro x2

Joker

Superman

Skyscreamer

02.thumb.jpg.0d2800df236bc2506ce65f60c5d5edf4.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.bd2c1e619d4c77400fea1b2aeffcd238.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.c8dec9178c33f9e4a9be61cbc7f90c09.jpg

05.thumb.jpg.ddbc18cd00d021145d72262852c6fd30.jpg

06.thumb.jpg.23fad1b3f19440a4b391905de64fef96.jpg

07.thumb.jpg.770ffb67b0b92070c9199d669ecbc270.jpg

08.thumb.jpg.836b854c52f8b47230878b3d49a3587e.jpg

09.thumb.jpg.fe72ab34663a6f126d80933c4648fb98.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.346c326bae3aa963555d24ccce14b396.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.2413226c79bf61685f82f0b9feeb241d.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.f77b8548d6a976565092ce245b55f574.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.1967388d1565fac44de452821f56af8b.jpg

00.thumb.jpg.f120e60e7616c79afb5e458db4e7301e.jpg

01.jpeg.986b004af039a6d80cb8d56dc75a1bb9.jpeg

^ Thats actually my favorite pic because its 3 people that were in our group - me and another one of them were on the train before so I stopped on the exit ramp hoping to get their pic and I did!

Rollercoasters are like movies, if it's named "Green Lantern" it must suck.

So where'd you decide to eat breakfast?

LMAO! Freaking McDonalds!!!! So gross lol. We ran into a last minute hiccup yesterday morning leaving us no time to sit and eat anywhere if we wanted to arrive by opening, so we stopped for drivethru and ate in the car (hence the salad for lunch). So lame. Thanks so much for your suggestions though, I will check them out at some point!

And yeah, my restraint was not tight and he did not staple me in. My buddy got off and called it the "nutcrusher" which was a problem I didnt have since when we flipped and I had that moment I was upside down and my chest/shoulders were thrown into the restraint. Did you make it up yesterday? I totally spaced and forgot to text you.

Since I hadn't been to the park since May, my personal goal for the day was to get my first lap on Joker, so with some convincing (some of our group thought it might make them sick) we headed that way and since we're geniuses stopped for a beer (ok 2 beers) at my favorite, Liberty Pub. Empty as always, summer shandy on tap. (They also had Fat Tire, Modelo, and I think Heineken). I love this place.

Okay, so Macho Nacho, Liberty Pub, Macho Nacho...lather, rinse, repeat. Any park that has Fat Tire automatically rules.

Glad that you guys had fun!

I need to get back to El Toro...like, really, really bad.

boldikus, so I did see you yesterday at Toro around noon, I shouldn't have been shy but it's weird only knowing internet names ...

I'm kind of mad at myself for not getting basic Flash Pass. The morning Ka strategy was effective enough that I underestimated the need. On further thought, the standard Flash is perfect for someone like me who came a long way to a "moderate" (for there) crowd but is only human and can only ride so much. Probably would have been $10 per extra ride but on the better rides and also less stress and more chance to cool off. I mean, boldikus must have spent that much on beer. I even considered going on and getting one late afternoon after 2/3 of the day without it. One thing was, I slept little or none Sat. night at the hard bed hotel and was uncertain about the 4.5+ hour drive back last night. I could have run out of energy and had to stop wherever I could despite the cost. The incremental cost was low but I have difficulty justifying the total cost of this trip ... although I'm already ready to go back. Also, Flash would have given me equality to those with the park app on their smart phones while still leaving the rest of the outside world outside, as it should be.

On to the pseudo-trip report ...

I went 1.5-2 hours Saturday night. Stood in line an hour for my only Nitro ride, but it was a good one. So dark out there and it being my first time on it was actually a little scary. Could have waited half that at closing time but it was a long day, should have could have.. still, with this, managed night rides on opposite sides of the park between the 2 days. They were running 3 trains with only 2 seat check people and making the station mostly vacate before letting people in, making the 3rd train useless.

[batman] The Ride was the only one I rode both days, 5 total. I also heard people saying it's rough . I couldn't handle a lot of rerides on it myself but really liked riding again after nearly 2 decades. I was right back then that back center seats really box you in and suck, this time I found even row 3 outside is diminished and center front row is really how it's intended to be experienced. I think the 2 sharp curves in the middle of the layout add a lot. Good ride for something normal coaster sized.

On to day 2, straight to Ka. Was nervous first ride and went for the back. Wow. It really does vibrate from the speed. I was correct that the height didn't bother me that much since it's a coaster. Went back around for the front. Felt like it was going to rip my eyelids off, crazy. Also wasn't as much like Hypersonic as I expected. That coaster launched to ~2/3s the speed in maybe a sixth the distance and the spike felt totally different, with ejector air vs. Ka's feels like it's not going to make it. One hell of a machine, for sure.

Someone said Toro was down then but probably opened minutes later. Anyway, went on to Bizarro. 1st ride, loved it, but after the reride the comparison to Dominator became clearer. The addition of an Immelman and zero-G roll on top of all of Dominator's inversions types is nice, but the ride becomes all inversions and lacks the high speed turn, loop hangtime and pop of air off the MCBR of Dominator. Laughed hard at the corkscrew thing in the middle of the interlocking corkscrews, funnily I was thinking Dominator's 'screws want something there just a few weeks ago. Felt a little sick after 2 rides there, between the heat and the inversions.

Back to El Toro. The 2 day rides were really great but still seemed like a cross of I305 and any good woodie. My first night ride had me going OMG OMG OMG insane! The ejector is different from I305, mostly from the lap bars but also not quite at that speed level so you get a sharper descent coming down the hills. That last ejector is as insane as they say, pretty small hill to get that level of force and descent angle, and that sound it makes there is scary. The finale of curves also doesn't let up 'til the end.

On the negatives, the big one is: better get your rides now because it's rough enough already. Some quibbles, the prefab construction is often mentioned but at least as important, this is a urethane wheel coaster, not a true wood coaster of which the steel wheels on steel are almost as distinguishing a feature as the wood construction (This park doesn't have any of those running). Also the restraint was uncomfortable on me because the sensors required otherwise unnecessary tightness. It really looks like the restraints could handle 2-3 clicks larger at least, for larger guests.

For lunch I went to Best of the West, seeking A/C. Food was good though small and overpriced but once I got a little in me and looked around it was worth it. This really is an impressive structure with huge logs and not only that is inside the log flume! Just looked it up, this dates back to the original park opening in 1974. I can't imagine anyone building something like that now.

By then, it started to get crowded and hot. Looked around and decided Green Lantern was the only doable line. Wasn't bad at all but wasn't good either. It doesn't feel like the standing position is vulnerable because it doesn't try to make you feel like you're going to be thrown out. What you're left with is a very mild looper without even any airtime back row on the drop and some need to be careful of the restraints. What I'd like to see is a standup with straps at most over your shoulders and nothing else next to your head, designed by someone who knows and cares what standups are about like Togo did but better (or even the same, really).

Next was Houdini's Great Escape. This was really cool. It did make me slightly sick but not like a simulator ride like I was afraid it was. In fact this is a good measure of my motion sickness so if someone felt the same and has also ridden Joker I'd like to hear about it. At this point I headed out of the park for a bit a break from the crowds and heat and a rest. Came back to much cooler and a few more laps on The Ride. Nitro was an hour again so I went onwards.

I could have probably walked faster to where I should have been going than waiting in line for the Skyride, but you can really see the size of the park skyline from it, from Nitro leaving the park proper on one side to Bizarro and Ka on the other. This was one view and feeling of awe that will probably stay with me and drive me to return above all. .... From there I checked Mine Train, line too long, Bizarro, long line, Toro ditto, running out of time ....

Well there was one substantial coaster left unridden so I waited for Superman Ultimate Flight. I found this worse than Green Lantern and it's ironic or something they have probably the world's largest collection of B&M novelty riding position coasters next to each other. You feel less like Superman and more like a wounded person he's carrying who's in no mood to enjoy the view. The main thing it has over Batwing is it's thankfully shorter. I did like the pop of air entering the pretzel loop.

I've already covered my last 2 rides on Toro. I went back to Ka at closing time for one more ride and heard it break down as I arrived -- should have stayed at Toro but you gotta try. After not even hearing test runs for 10 mins., I made the prudent choice and headed home.

As to the park overall. I like that in some ways it feels more like a smaller park, sort of lumpy walkways, no huge International Street type entrance, and yet is absolutely massive. It is a lot more crowded-tending than KD but there is some justification. It doesn't have a lot that KD can't match, but I'd still make that long drive cheerfully if I had money to throw at accommodations and Flash Pass.

So where'd you decide to eat breakfast?

LMAO! Freaking McDonalds!!!! So gross lol. We ran into a last minute hiccup yesterday morning leaving us no time to sit and eat anywhere if we wanted to arrive by opening, so we stopped for drivethru and ate in the car (hence the salad for lunch). So lame. Thanks so much for your suggestions though, I will check them out at some point!

And yeah, my restraint was not tight and he did not staple me in. My buddy got off and called it the "nutcrusher" which was a problem I didnt have since when we flipped and I had that moment I was upside down and my chest/shoulders were thrown into the restraint. Did you make it up yesterday? I totally spaced and forgot to text you.

Haha ugh, sorry to hear about the breakfast situation. If you're ever in Cherry Hill, I highly recommend Amy's. And no, I ended up taking it easy this past weekend and stayed home. Glad you had fun though!

Considering a trip to the park the weekend of 10/29-10/30. Is the park still ridiculously crowded the closest weekend to Halloween or has Fright Fest died down at that point? Platinum Flash Pass or bust?

It's probably the 2nd busiest weekend of the year after Columbus Day weekend.

Considering a trip to the park the weekend of 10/29-10/30. Is the park still ridiculously crowded the closest weekend to Halloween or has Fright Fest died down at that point? Platinum Flash Pass or bust?

Start setting the money aside now, you will definitely need it.

Again, it's simple: think of the best time, or what first comes to mind, for you to go and that's almost always the same as the worst time to go, because other people are like you. Be George on Sienfeld in "opposite" mode and do the opposite of what you'd normally do in theme parks and you're set.

Okay, so Macho Nacho, Liberty Pub, Macho Nacho...lather, rinse, repeat. Any park that has Fat Tire automatically rules.

There is also the new SkyBar near Skyscreamer that looked pretty awesome when we passed it but we never stopped there. I am hoping its open for HITP as it should be since everything else right there will be open.

What did you get there? I love the Steak, Egg, and Cheese Bagel as well as a Chicken McGriddle. Big Breakfasts help me get my energy for big coaster days however. Long live McD's Hashbrowns bro!

I do love their hashbrowns but I generally find Mickey D's gross. About once a year I get a crazy insane craving for a quarter pounder and then I regret it as soon as I eat it.

Fantastic sunset shot of El Toro!!! Wowza!

Full disclosure: I took it from Toro's brakerun. We got stuck out there for a minute waiting for the train ahead to dispatch and I couldn't resist pulling out my phone to capture that.

I mean, boldikus must have spent that much on beer.

Honestly everyone was buying rounds every time we stopped, I probably spent $50 on beer and then lunch but I would easily spend that if not more going out to brunch with friends down here in the city. Also, I didn't pay to get in (season pass) and we didn't get flash pass, I didn't play any games or buy anything besides beer and food, and we had a great day beyond the rides just hanging out and catching up, so Id say it was money well spent.

You are definitely going to need flash pass. Put a couple bucks a week aside for it and this way it won't hurt as much when you have to pony up the $100+ for platinum. With how crowded it will likely be, it'll be worth it. And if it turns out you don't need it, you can spend the money on other stuff.

Again, it's simple: think of the best time, or what first comes to mind, for you to go and that's almost always the same as the worst time to go, because other people are like you. Be George on Sienfeld in "opposite" mode and do the opposite of what you'd normally do in theme parks and you're set.

This is a terrible strategy to employ. As you can see by my day with moderate crowds if you are strategic and not wandering around aimlessly looking for a ride without a line, you can get a lot in. The app definitely helped I'll admit, but even without it I think we would have had similar success. Also, history shows us that the park is notoriously busy Saturdays in October so with a month and half notice of a trip its simply smart to put the money aside starting now and be prepared for it. If you don't need it because of weather or whatever, then you are $100 richer. If I was coming to GreatAdv for a one time type trip I would absolutely budget for FP because its a huge popular regional park that typically is busy. I would never ever travel far to a park without budgeting for the highest level of FP, especially knowing that the day & time of year I was visiting is particularly busy - you're only setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment which does not make for a fun day @ a park.