TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I have a feeling we shouldn't even be worrying about whether the queue means something or not till the park actually opens. Because they have a couple months left to rip that sucker out, they wouldn't bother doing it with the snow everywhere. The same talk was centered around the station meaning something, then that got torn down.

The park isn't going to miss this opportunity to expand outward more. They have a great area of land there and they won't just block it off with another coaster. That would be extremely foolish. And I doubt that when the decision was made to retire RT, it was done so with just a new coaster in mind. They now can fix two very obnoxious dead ends in the park layout, and that's awesome!

^I really hope you're right. I would be very happy if they did have a general idea for how they'll develop that area, connecting Frontier Adventures, Plaza del Carnaval and the Golden Kingdom would make that side of the park much easier to navigate. I hope they don't put a coaster in RT's footprint. I hope it is in Old Country, whether that is 2015 or 2016, and they put some flats in RT's footprint, just as long as they don't block off future development with a huge coaster. That would draw HUGE crowds to that area with KK, Zumanjaro, El Toro, and Bizarro already there.

Maybe this is far-fetched but there might be more than one thing in store for 2015. Possibly, they could pull a Magic Mountain and add two coasters. Since 2012, it has been relatively small additions. Maybe they are saving up for something. I dont know, it may be stupid but if you think about it it could make sense. One expanding into PDC and one in the chiller's spot. It could revive a dead area and thin crowds in another. It may be crazy but if planned right, it just might work

^

The flat package in 2012 costed multi-millions. A very unique slide was also added.

In 2013, the safari changes costed millions. (Over a dozen trucks, two stations, a whole new stop during the safari, along with the added cost of staffing). There was also a major water park addition.

For 2014, Drop of Doom definitely costed multi-millions.

Just because they didn't add coasters doesn't mean they were weren't investing a lot of money into new attractions.

Maybe this is far-fetched but there might be more than one thing in store for 2015. Possibly, they could pull a Magic Mountain and add two coasters. Since 2012, it has been relatively small additions. Maybe they are saving up for something. I dont know, it may be stupid but if you think about it it could make sense. One expanding into PDC and one in the chiller's spot. It could revive a dead area and thin crowds in another. It may be crazy but if planned right, it just might work

I like that idea! Maybe they can make an Rolling Thunder-esque comeback? I really have no idea, but I would to see an American park build a major racing coaster (hopefully with a High Five) and it would be perfect for SFGAd (although I'm not sure realistic, but hey why not ). I mean there were a lot of people who wanted to save Rolling Thunder so this could help...I think... Then SFGAd's second coaster could be either a ZacSpin or some other family coaster, or they could build a relocated coaster.

^Or an Intamin Giga

I was thinking back on Great Adventure's recent coaster additions- as for an RMC woodie, does anyone know the approximate cost of SFGam's Goliath this year?

I think it's interesting that Great Adventure made two back to back huge gambles in '05 and '06, and since then, has spent very little (considering their history) on roller coasters. Dark Knight is listed at $7.5 million, and Green Lantern couldn't have been TOO costly to relocate. El Toro has probably the best ROI for any Great Adventure coaster considering its popularity, and Kingda Ka DEFINITELY has the lowest. This includes operating cost. Yes, it brings in guests and therefore money, but it was probably a poor FINANCIAL decision (I'm elaborating because I sense that I may get some backlash on this). My point is, since El Toro has had a decent record of consistent operations and little downtime, an RMC coaster may be another good decision for the park. If these recent additions all cost in the millions of dollars and El Toro only cost $12 million, we could be seeing another record breaking woodie in the very near future.

^They're reliable and a usually a big hit with the GP. They've had success with B&M many times, why should they change?

Wish they'd work with Intamin again, Kinda Ka has been very successful for them. I've never been to Gradv but I'm assuming along with Nitro and El Toro they're the most popular rides at the park.

We need more Maverick-type rides in the US, they seems to please both GP and enthusiasts alike. Many enthusiasts are very meh when it comes to B&M's rides

^They're reliable and a usually a big hit with the GP. They've had success with B&M many times, why should they change?

Kinda Ka has been very successful for them. I've never been to Gradv but I'm assuming along with Nitro and El Toro they're the most popular rides at the park.

It's hard to judge which rides are the most popular, especially since they all have different capacities. While you don't sound too far off I wouldn't be surprised if Superman was ahead of Kingda Ka and/or El Toro in terms of popularity. All of the rides are extremely popular but Superman frequently has some of the longest lines in the park despite it's good capacity. I think that ride is brutally dull but people seem to love it.

Here's how I would rank the popularity of the 7 big coasters as a season pass holder:

1. El Toro- fastest operations in the park with huge capacity yet they can still get 90 min lines. This also attracts a ton of enthusiast tourists.

2. Kingda Ka- this is the coaster that attracts GP tourists and gets more people in the park. The reason I have it lower than Toro is because people tend to fall in love with that once they ride it. Plus this has more downtime.

3. Nitro- the only reason people go to the back of the park. Great capacity with easy operations due to no seatbelts and it's a ride highly regarded in the park.

4. Superman- this coaster has slower operations than the top 3 but I tend to see the most lines for this. The pretzel loop is great and it keeps me and the GP coming back. Location might benefit this though being in the front of the park but GASM eventually got no lines in the front.

5. Green Lantern- this could fall but right now they still have the new factor as it's only been in GAdv for 3 years. This coaster probably has the fastest operations outside the big 3 and you don't see walk-ons too often here.

6. Batman- it's the oldest big coaster in the park that I think has too many Gs for me and many others. Enthusiasts that can handle the Gs love it but the queue isn't pleasant to wait in and it has slower operations plus there's no wow factor that makes people go back in line.

7. Bizarro- I rarely see lines for this ride unless the park is really busy. They have the slowest ops in the park so that decreases ride capacity even more. I do think you can say location hurts this ride but you can make the argument that if it was that great of a ride, people would go to it since Nitro is on the other corner of the park and it's popular.

So do I. In general, though, SORA was made for families. Bizarro wasnt. You wont necessarily see the people on SORA going to Bizarro. Instead, they would go to RMT. In hindsight, putting the then Medusa there wasnt very smart since Frontier Adventures was, and is now, mainly family rides.

In addition to the Rolling Thunder space, there is also a decent-sized chunk of land left over from GASM adjacent to it that wasn't taken over by Green Lantern. I could see the park utilizing that space, which I've circled in yellow below, as additional space for whatever they have planned for RT's old land.

GAdvNewRides.thumb.png.ff376eaf6abb525fe4d07192249502ee.png

If the park did go with one large attraction, it wouldn't be too difficult to connect the two spaces in the orange area, especially if it were a coaster that passed over the path here.

Oh, and Google Earth has new satellite imagery for the park, which is how I got this image. It's recent enough to have the extra support pieces for Zumanjaro in the lot, but obviously, Rolling Thunder is still there.