TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I don't see the actual land area expanding by Green Lantern, however it wouldn't be too hard to have the coaster go out back there and come back into the rolling thunder area. So there is definitely room. They just have to be smart with their choice. However I'm still pro put it in the B&R:tC station.

So I'm sure this has been discussed time and time again so sorry in advance Will kingda ka be open opening weekend in April? I don't know if superman was open while they were still building drop of doom... I know they are different coasters but I thought maybe if superman was open during construction of drop of doom maybe KK would be open too. Just need some insight.

Edited by hersheycoaster

So I'm sure this has been discussed time and time again so sorry in advance Will kingda ka be open opening weekend in April? I don't know if superman was open while they were still building drop of doom... I know they are different coasters but I thought maybe if drop of doom was open during construction maybe KK would be open too. Just need some insight.

I highly doubt Kingda Ka will be open anytime soon. I don't see it opening until June but that's just a blind guess.

^Overall I agree with you. I think bizarro should have more popularity. It is a great ride and one of my favorites.

Agreed. Rides so smooth and is a solid fave of mine @ the park after Nitro and El Toro.

^Also agree. While it's not brutally awesome there is just something about the ride that makes me really like it. It's a very solid, smooth, reasonably forceful and well paced (and loud ) looping ride. I think that's what B&M are the best at.

^Overall I agree with you. I think bizarro should have more popularity. It is a great ride and one of my favorites.

Agreed. Rides so smooth and is a solid fave of mine @ the park after Nitro and El Toro.

I used to like Bizarro a lot, but honestly Green Lantern kicks the crap out of it and puts it to bed without supper. I feel Bizarro is redundant now in their line-up, as GL is superior in every way except for location and the whole stand-up issue. I know a lot of people around here just can't enjoy stand-ups, I used to feel the same way but I actually really enjoyed GL when I rode it. Bizarro (along with Superman) will now be the coaster I skip unless there's literally no line and I get the very back row.

I know you're probably saying "how can it be redundant when they're not even the same type of coaster??" I would say that Bizarro simply "feels" like the exact same kind of ride as GL, except less intense, therefore it "feels" redundant. If I'd never been to the park I might not say this, but after my last day there this is the distinct impression I got.

^It is interesting that Kumba has a similar layout and exactly the same order of elements: loop, dive loop, zero-g roll, cobra roll, interlocking corkscrews.

You're absolutely right, the layout is very similar minus the helix at the end. The thing that makes Kumba so much better than Bizarro (and I mean SO MUCH better) is that Bizarro takes every element at a normal / slow pace and Kumba absolutely flies through everything. You get ripped down the first drop, through the loop, through the dive loop and through the corkscrews. The zero G roll is so good and so ridiculously fast that I can't even describe it. It's my favorite element on any coaster anywhere.

On every element on Kumba you get ripped through at an amazing pace. Unlike modern B&M coasters this thing has great positive and negative forces and it's incredibly disorienting.

I thought the same thing about the layout being very similar to Bizarro and I was skeptical of the hype but now that I've ridden Kumba I've been converted. One ride in the back row on the right side of the train (near the exit platform) will make you forget Bizarro even exists.

^It is interesting that Kumba has a similar layout and exactly the same order of elements: loop, dive loop, zero-g roll, cobra roll, interlocking corkscrews.

You're absolutely right, the layout is very similar minus the helix at the end. The thing that makes Kumba so much better than Bizarro (and I mean SO MUCH better) is that Bizarro takes every element at a normal / slow pace and Kumba absolutely flies through everything. You get ripped down the first drop, through the loop, through the dive loop and through the corkscrews. The zero G roll is so good and so ridiculously fast that I can't even describe it. It's my favorite element on any coaster anywhere.

On every element on Kumba you get ripped through at an amazing pace. Unlike modern B&M coasters this thing has great positive and negative forces and it's incredibly disorienting.

I thought the same thing about the layout being very similar to Bizarro and I was skeptical of the hype but now that I've ridden Kumba I've been converted. One ride in the back row on the right side of the train (near the exit platform) will make you forget Bizarro even exists.

Now it makes sense cause I've always wondered why Kumba is such a favorite among enthusiasts. From watching videos, looks like any other B&M looper. Now I wanna ride, someday...

So I'm assuming Dragon Khan is just as good??

Funny thing is, I remember a time when Bizarro (when it was Medusa) seemed to really rip through those interlocking corkscrews. Of course I was much smaller then so everything felt more intense. Or is it possible it's actually slower?

^Things certainly do seem more intense when you are very young. However, there always is a slight possibility that it has slowed down a couple mph. Not saying it did, but it's possible. I went to SFGadv my first time when I was about 7, and was horrified of RT. I only went on the Mine Train. I went again around age 11, and got my self on RT, as well as Bizarro, Nitro, and Superman. The next time about two years later, I got on Kingda Ka by myself and El Toro. Perceptions of coasters, at least for me, changed VERY quickly.

Now it makes sense cause I've always wondered why Kumba is such a favorite among enthusiasts. From watching videos, looks like any other B&M looper. Now I wanna ride, someday...

So I'm assuming Dragon Khan is just as good??

I've never been on Kumba but Dragon Khan is my favourite ride and seems to fit kumba's description pretty well, you also fly through the zero g but it has an extra loop and you just speed through the MCBR with little to no trimming!

Just to comment on Bizarro, I happen to fall in the camp of it being an ok coaster. Nothing to write home about but nothing really to complain about either. It's a ride you can ride once or twice and know what you're getting. I agree with the previous statement about it going a little slow. I rode Kraken and seemed to like it a lot better as I have it in my top 15 vs. barely top 30 for Bizarro. I feel like with a little more force this could be a much better ride.

I look at Bizarro as the stereotypical B & M. The safe and reliable forceless coaster that won't turn heads. It fills the role of the middle coaster. Every big park needs 1 or 2 of these. CP has Gatekeeper and Raptor, Hershey has Great Bear, SFOG has Mind Bender, etc.

^Well, to be fair, have newer B&M floorless coasters reached much higher speeds than Bizarro? It was a prototype, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the slowest or worst. More recent floorless models are still very similar to Bizarro, and even though it isn't the most forceful, intense coaster, I find myself enjoying it more than most forceless B&M's. Maybe it's the theming, but there's something about it that makes it worth re-riding when the lines are bearable.

Side note, I wouldn't call Raptor at CP forceless at all. Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was rather intense.

I look at Bizarro as the stereotypical B & M. The safe and reliable forceless coaster that won't turn heads. It fills the role of the middle coaster. Every big park needs 1 or 2 of these. CP has Gatekeeper and Raptor, Hershey has Great Bear, SFOG has Mind Bender, etc.

John, come ride Silver Bullet here in California to learn the real definition of forceless coasters.

Side note, I wouldn't call Raptor at CP forceless at all. Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was rather intense.

I couldn't agree more. Raptor is my favorite invert with Montu being a close second. The reason for this is because of the relentless intensity.

Montu is almost perfect, but after the MCBR the ride just kind of meanders around for awhile until it gets to that awesome corkscrew finale. This is such a minor critique but when you're comparing 2 coasters that are this good, you need to nit pick.

Raptor really never lets up. It has a MCBR but I actually think the swooping dive off of that is one of the best parts of the ride and I loved the way this coasters feels a little unrefined and out-of-control which is a feeling you never get with B&M. Raptor isn't quite Kumba, but it's my second favorite B&M. It's important to note however that while I've traveled quite a bit in the U.S. I haven't been out of the country to ride coasters like Nemesis and Katun which are always highly regarded.

Edit: Wow, sorry to get so off-topic. lol

Raptor is a little rougher than most inverts but I still wouldn't call it rough. If you ride near the front just lean your head forward a little and you'll be fine.

Also, getting "knocked up" on Raptor is generally frowned upon in the Cedar Point code of conduct.

Raptor is just awesome. That's it.

About the drop tower, nice to see some updates. By the way, I noticed it is advertised as being 415 feet tall which makes it just as tall as Lex Luthor.Isn't it supposed to be the tallest?