TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

People are making a big deal out of the log flume on their Facebook page, but the water park is really nice and is part of the park's admission. A thrill ride was more important to the park's future at this point.

It's always the "end of the world" when any ride is removed--at least for some people.

Edited by cfc

I do have to say that I am kinda surprised that they are removing the flume ride. Last summer, it was the only ride in the park that had a line when we were there. It was a decent log flume that seemed to have some popularity to it. I like what kings island has done to its old log flume ride. They replaced the flume with aluminum instead of fiberglass to cut down on maintainance cost's. The ride continues to be a favorite of park goers.

I wonder why parks are not replacing or just refurbing log flume rides instead of just ripping them out?

With that being said, I really like this new coaster. The park was lacking a good steel coaster and this exceeds the bar. I am glad that they are going with a more unique coaster rather than a cookie cutter mouse coaster.

1867728269_Midamerica2014397.thumb.JPG.62f49073e2fecacfff1d78828dd1c02a.JPG

Line for the log flume

179039211_Midamerica2014418.thumb.JPG.73624d68da4810c90bf074e5fc38c11a.JPG

Line for the coaster

1948876381_Midamerica2014389.thumb.JPG.f2995684ce19d110a3ccbf5d00143151.JPG

Line for another coaster

1918527140_Midamerica2014354.thumb.JPG.c080d513ecd61a2b08a9e30c870348a7.JPG

And yet another lack of line for the other coaster.

I wonder why parks are not replacing or just refurbing log flume rides instead of just ripping them out?

With that being said, I really like this new coaster. The park was lacking a good steel coaster and this exceeds the bar. I am glad that they are going with a more unique coaster rather than a cookie cutter mouse coaster.

Pretty simple, it is all about the dollars. Like they said in their announcement it was just too much money to maintain. And replacing it with a brand new steel coaster must make more financial sense long term than refurbing or replacing it so that must have been a lot of money the last few years to keep it running. Plus I think it is easier for parks now a days to make this decision if they have a water park area to compensate some for that loss. That being said it is still sad to see the old Flume rides go but I agree with you about the unique layout and that it will be a great addition to the park.

I found the flume to be 'ok' certainly not the best and not one that I would ever rush back to ride. For a family owned park they've dumped a ton of money into it the last few years, more so than it's closest competitor in KC...

I found the flume to be 'ok' certainly not the best and not one that I would ever rush back to ride. For a family owned park they've dumped a ton of money into it the last few years, more so than it's closest competitor in KC...

And it's second closest competitor in Minneapolis (Valleyfair) too. CF is getting one upped by Adventureland for investment for 2 of it's parks over the last 3 years. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I have noticed this trend, too, lately and it's come up with a few park owners/operators that I'm friends with and here are some of the issues that I keep hearing...

- Mechanical water rides are very expensive to keep in operation, some of the most expensive rides in the parks.

- Anytime "water" is involved it introduces many other issues such as soil under the ride softening quicker than dry rides creating issues with foundation and ride stability, mold and mildew issues, bugs and other such nature problems.

- Water treatment is very time consuming and expensive.

- Older water rides are starting to reach their expected lifecycle and need to be removed.

I don't know much about this log flume, but is it an older one? If yes, that might be the answer to the question, and who knows, maybe in their long-term plans they have another water ride somewhere down the road to replace it.

Edited by robbalvey

Not too fond of the whole Eurofighter/Infinity coaster-type, but this is really a perfect fit for the park. I actually had Adventureland on my mind this morning, because I'll likely be driving through it's general area a little later this season, and I hadn't heard much about it recently. Hopefully it brings more people out to the park.

I have noticed this trend, too, lately and it's come up with a few park owners/operators that I'm friends with and here are some of the issues that I keep hearing...

- Mechanical water rides are very expensive to keep in operation, some of the most expensive rides in the parks.

- Anytime "water" is involved it introduces many other issues such as soil under the ride softening quicker than dry rides creating issues with foundation and ride stability, mold and mildew issues, bugs and other such nature problems.

- Older water rides are starting to reach their expected lifecycle and need to be removed.

I don't know much about this log flume, but is it an older one? If yes, that might be the answer to the question, and who knows, maybe in their long-term plans they have another water ride somewhere down the road to replace it.

Robb has perfectly elaborated on this quote from the press release.

"The Log Ride is over 40 years old, and while still structurally sound, technology for rides has advanced by leaps and bounds in that time period. It is requiring an enormous amount of upkeep and maintenance that isn’t feasible long term."

Damn, I was hoping to never have to visit Iowa again, but this changes everything.

I feel the same way. Now all of these people I don't like will be visiting...

Thank's for that info Robb.

Still a bummer that it seems we are seeing the end of the classic log flume ride. I have to admit, I am a self proclaimed closet flume ride enthuseist. They are always a fun ride, and a perfect water ride for those that don't want to get soaked.

I can't imagine the flume will die out entirely, but in the case of Adventureland's (which was an amalgam of various bits and pieces) it may not have been a tough decision all things considered.

I wasn't necessarily thinking I'd need to go back to Iowa either, but the state fair does have a Old Mill and I haven't been to Arnolds..hmmmm....

I'm very happy to hear about this. Adventureland seemed like a nice little park when I visited and this Eurofighter looks like it will be a fun ride and a great fit for the park.

People are making a big deal out of the log flume on their Facebook page, but the water park is really nice and is part of the park's admission.

Some people like to ride water rides without having to change into swimwear. That doesn't mean that the log flume should remain in the park (it's definitely at the end of its service life), but you can't just throw out those guests' needs like it's nothing.

I'd like to ride water rides while in swim wear, as in a log flume or a rapids ride in a water park, why hasn't anyone done this yet!?! Thrilling, fun, higher capacity then any slide very could be, someone do it, DO IT!

(and yes I know Noah's Ark has a splash boat ride, but why are they the only water park with a full sized water ride?