TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of confused as to why they went with a windseeker, rather than a coaster. This park is lacking in the coaster dept. I thought I read somewhere that a windseeker cost around 3.5 million. For that amount of money, they could have went with a boomerang, mouse, or even a eurofighter coaster. All of these would have really improved the parks light coaster lineup.

We are planning on hitting this park in July. Does anyone know if they were able to rebuild the section of park that burnt down? I cant seem to find any recent news or pictures of it.

It looks like it will have a really cool color scheme so far. I love yellow!

Adventureland actually commented on some one else's comment about how tall it was, and they said:
About 250 feet - so 50 feet TALLER than the Space Shot

I don't know if this is a mistake or what.

It's hard to say, it could be the actual ride height, but on the bigger Cedar Fair rides the actual height you are on at the top is around 250 feet if I remember correctly, so they could also be meaning that.

I'm kind of confused as to why they went with a windseeker, rather than a coaster. This park is lacking in the coaster dept. I thought I read somewhere that a windseeker cost around 3.5 million. For that amount of money, they could have went with a boomerang, mouse, or even a eurofighter coaster. All of these would have really improved the parks light coaster lineup.

Keep in mind that these rides are also pulling in a lot of visitors, plus it gives the park a big icon attraction that can be seen from far in the distance.

I'm less surprised that they chose a high swing ride than *what* high swing ride they purchased. All the problems with those would seem to be a turn off.

Yeah I'm also a bit surprised, but I love Mondial in general, so I'm happy to see more of these sold. I would imagine that this would be a 3rd generation, since the ones for Carowinds and KD were improved, and it has been two years since they were installed. Some improvements since then must have been made.

I could imagine that the awesome looking light package for this rides would be one of the main reasons (along with capacity) for going with the Windseeker.

I have never been on one but I would probably still prefer Star Flyers ride wise.

^ I also prefer Star Flyers ride wise but I love Windseekers. They never have a long line because of their great capacity, they look amazing at night and they're a great way to relax for a few minutes, get a nice breeze and get a great view of the park.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind that these rides are also pulling in a lot of visitors, plus it gives the park a big icon attraction that can be seen from far in the distance.

Adding to this. I think we sometimes forget that coasters aren't the only things that sell. If that were the case, then why build anything besides coasters? The park has "100+ Rides, shows, and attractions" , 4 of which are coasters. It's all about the audience, and their audience doesn't seem coaster dependent. Adding adding another flat seems the way to go.

...a tall something that will be beautiful at night with the light package.

Is a lighting package confirmed? Or are those standard with these?

Is a lighting package confirmed? Or are those standard with these?

Yeah, here you go.

"The ride, which is taller than a popular elevated ride called the Space Shot, promises to offer users a bold view of the park, and perhaps the Des Moines skyline.

"It's got a beautiful light package, so at night it should be a beautiful show," Vincent said."

This is where I read it from. It's a nice little article.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2014/04/01/construction-begins-new-ride-adventureland/7159503/

^Good to hear.

Any small park with something this massive (and pretty), should see a nice return on their investment.

The article also states two things;

• -Approximately $3 million
    -250 feet tall

Since this is confirmed to be shorter than the standard Windseekers, will the tower be thinner in diameter? It looks thinner in that photo.

It could be, but I doubt so.It would be cheaper to just chop 50' from the top and call it a day. Rather than redesigning the gondola, tower diameter etc.

It's good to see a Windseeker at a non-Cedar Fair park. And even better to see one without that standard color scheme.

Yeah I agree! Super cool. I don't really like the standard design. This yellow will really make it pop.

Another thing that is kind of interesting.

Adventureland finally changed their website. They have The Storm Chaser for the first slide and they are also advertising the newly refurbished Balloon Race. They haven't touched this site in years. Hopefully they keep it updated.

https://www.adventurelandpark.com/

^ (This is a little off-topic) While browsing through their website, I noticed a statement in Adventureland's thrill ride web link that seems familiar:

Looking for thrills? Well, you've found them. In fact, you've found some of the fastest, tallest, wildest, gut-wrenchingest, rides in the country.

Hmmm, sounds an awful lot like what Six Flags has in their thrill ride sections:

Looking for thrills? Well, you've found them. In fact, you've found some of the fastest, tallest, wildest, gut-wrenchingest rides in the country-including a few record-breakers.

Just an interesting find I wanted to share.

That is interesting... Haha. Great minds think alike.

Oh, btw I forgot to post something. This is a photo that was posted about a week ago on their wall.

"Building a big ride requires an even BIGGER crane! Looking forward to watching the Storm Chaser rise into the sky - it opens in JUNE!"

It will really look cool right next to the Space Shot. I can't wait for the park's new skyline!

10153844_607309052685817_2001824793_n.thumb.jpg.dfbc09594a9b749ff487cef85d47f77d.jpg