TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^Agreed.

I'm still pissed all these years later that they evicted Yogi out of his cave.

Those bastards!

And now it be full of scurvy pirates--arrr!

Let's be honest here...does anyone REALLY care about the "themed areas" at a park like Kings Dominion?

I'll tell you what the theming of Kings Dominion is...

"Amusement Park."

There. Done. Live with it.

Now if only people could also take that same exact argument and apply it to Cedar Point.

That is certainly the whole thing. I'm not sure that people really know the difference between a classic style Amusement Park, and a straight up Theme Park. I'm not sure if it the people, or if the industry has blurred the definition over the years.

Simple.

The difference is "Amusement park" theming is simply styling. A basic theme. A way of making something look a bit better. It will not be extensive. "Theme park" theming is the immersive and extensive kind that will take you into a new world. Thats as simple as it is to me, with seperating the Theme and Amusement parks. I dunno if anyone else agrees...

Clint Novak just Tweeted:

New qline for front row! Tim was right in saying it would break off for the front. Old single rider line is now the line! Nice

Interesting

No new restraints

And that's not likely to change

EDIT! UPDATED!

More trims added to drop of I305. No more trims on bunny hill.
\

ZOMG! Let's all... "Freak Out!"

Edited by KDcoasterMAN

Hmm...I do recall me saying a few pages back that I would expect them to be tweaking the placement of the trims over the next few weeks?

--Robb "Looks like Mr. Alvey DOES know what he's talking about!" Alvey

^Looks like I305 might be a work in process throughout the season.

Or maybe not. This will be the last week before daily operations.

Was thinking about going this weekend but I don't feel like sifting through the crowds.

Edited by redfoot12

I-95 will be a terrible mess to deal with!

That has already started, it was a mess a couple hours ago.

I rode it twice today, once near the front and once near the back. While the first drop is now slower, it has made the second half of the ride better in my opinion.

New qline for front row! Tim was right in saying it would break off for the front. Old single rider line is now the line! Nice

That is right. You still enter through the main line, but right where the two lines slant to the right before making the left into the station you either stay right for the front row or go left for all other rows. And they have now made it where the left side has it's own entry into the station so you don't have to squeeze by anyone waiting for the front.

I rode 5 times today again and think the moving of the trims on the bunny hill to the drop is an improvement over last week.

The 1st half feels the same to me as last week ( It did look a little slower during morning testing over the 2nd hill)

But the bunny hills under the lift hill are much better now, the 75ft hill is running like it should with no slowdown and great airtime.

I have to believe that during October and April they will have to remove some trims cause it will be a matter of time before it rolls back in cold weather.

Everything had huge lines when we left at 1pm (loads of school buses) except I305 had a 1-3 train wait. (FOF,Volcano,Dominator all had full ques) I do not get why nobody is riding it.

JEFF

That is certainly the whole thing. I'm not sure that people really know the difference between a classic style Amusement Park, and a straight up Theme Park. I'm not sure if it the people, or if the industry has blurred the definition over the years.

King's Dominion calls themselves a "Themed Amusement Park":

kdthemedamusement.png.3db941fb407392c841987c46943b8f0a.png

All the Juniors/Seniors at my school today had a "field trip" to KD and all I heard all day was, "I'm not gonna ride Intimidator 305! I've heard it makes you black out and I don't wanna die!!"

Edited by B-RadG

All the Juniors/Seniors at my school today had a "field trip" to KD today and all I heard all day was "I'm not gonna ride Intimidator 305! I've heard it makes you black out and I don't wanna die!!"

And thats probably why there is no lines. I have talked to friends who has family in va and after one ride in the early stages they were done. Now people, from the way it seems, doesnt wanna be bothered with it. The average theme park goer doesnt really understand trims being added or anything, they see a ride that gave them the neck chopping of their life and wanna stay far away from it.

I rode it 6 times today and didn't really notice the trim on the drop at all. It's a good ride...enjoy and just ignore the shiny metal fins.

Good ride...park was dead today....305 was a mostly a walk on until 2.

-daron

Honestly, I don't see why everyong is fussing over the trims. I've never been to KD, but needless to say, I305 looks pretty kickass. Besides, I think the GP are still going to eat the ride up. They probably don't notice the trims. Instead, they're probably amazed about the fact that it's a 300 foot drop.

Has it ever happened before that a ride closes because of low ridership? Not like a littler ride, I mean a bigger one like Intimidator.

Drachen fire comes to mind.

In fairness I305 was getting those trains out good (2 trains and 4 employees checking restraints) Dominator only had 2 trains and 2 checkers.

in other news Dominator and BLSC got their 3rd trains back this week (not sure about Volcano & FOF)

I will probably take the kids up tonight for fireworks & Aidan (my son) is dying to ride Rebel Yell when it is racing.

JEFF