TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Interesting about RCDB speed listing...what is their source on that? cause KD sure as hell is not releasing its current speed.

Does someone want to email Duane and find out?

I know I know! Lets e-mail DAN! he may know! ! mrt0ad13@aol.com J/K. I have heard honestly that it still goes around 85 or so. Because if 79.5 is true then think Intimidator (carowinds) goes 80 ..that means a ride 60 feet or so shorter goes a tad faster as of the rcdb.com thing.

^ I rode today. That's about it. The coaster is still great, but not as good as it was.

I will say the GP will not notice the changes as many who I talked to today couldn't tell any difference.

These changes will make the coaster significantly more reliable but...

the monster bark is worse than its bite.

It would be rather incredible if the top speed was reduced by 15mph, and it can still make it through the course. Makes me almost wish I rode it.

This is what makes me think that can't be a correct number. 15mph is a HUGE difference, even for a coaster that is going over 90MPH. When you hear the conflicting reports from people who have ridden it before and after the trims, you would think that 15mph slower would make a much more extreme change in the ride than what everyone is reporting.

I don't know how fast the ride is going, but I rode it yesterday, and it was my first ride on it, and it was going fast enough that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I loved the airtime, but the turns and twisty bits were still pretty intense (although that may have been because I had gotten heat-sickness and was therefore wasn't up to my full coaster-judging ability).

As a note on the park as a whole, I was very impresses with the ride operations, as I never waited more than 15-20 minutes for anything, despite there being massive crowds. Although I left pretty early in the afternoon, due to feeling so horrible. But overall, I was pleased.

It is not out of the question though Robb.....I watched it test Friday morning with an empty train and it barely cleared the 2nd hill (150ft).

Now lets look at Magnum's Top speed of 72mph and it barely clears its 157ft 2nd hill.

IMO (sadly) 80mph sounds about right now

They did add the last of the bunny hill trims to the 1st drop since last weekend (near the bottom on the right side)

The ride is always very low to the ground so it is still perceived as fast by the public.

on the plus side it never went down for a wheel change.

After spending some time with what I think is the final version of it till the off season I would easily give the edge back to MF as my #2

JEFF

Rode it 7 times today and wouldn't be surprised if 80 is now the top speed. However, the ride is still pretty awesome, and the first turn gray out is still in effect. The only REAL big change is the 2nd hill. The rest of the course still pulls major positive g's, the mini bunny hop after the 2nd hill still has great air, and now the final two hills have terrific airtime since they no longer have trims. It would be nice to have that speed back, but it is DEFINITELY more GP friendly now, which is obviously the goal for the park. I honestly don't think it's going to drop from #2 on my steel list.

On a related note, while everyone says they like the back better now, I actually experienced more forces and airtime in the front today (rode 4 times in the front half and 3 in the back half). Maybe it was just me, but I definitely think the front is better at this point.

^ Agreed. It was nice to meet you today Steve, and the coaster is still a front row ride. I got 5 back rows rides and 4 front row rides today on I305.

I made a rash judgement on the coaster yesterday. She still packs a punch and is a more re-rideable coaster.

^ Agreed. It was nice to meet you today Steve, and the coaster is still a front row ride. I got 5 back rows rides and 4 front row rides today on I305.

I made a rash judgement on the coaster yesterday. She still packs a punch and is a more re-rideable coaster.

Likewise! Like I said today, just stop by Nighthawk in a couple weeks when you're down in my neck of the woods.

^ Don't believe these reports unless you've actually ridden the ride yourself.

The 79.1 mph i305 is not even as intense as say TTD or Kingda Ka, rides that the actual i305 dwarfed easily in its first weeks.

Intrimidator will go down in coaster history as one of the largest examples of engineering failure and false advertising (the park is still selling shirts that claim 85+mph).

I appreciate that some of you can try and stay positive but it's amazing for me to see a group of people claiming to be coaster enthusiasts acting like the ruination of 305 isn't that big of a deal. We just lost the world's (by-far) most intense coaster! I don't want to be dramatic but that is a newsworthy item if I've ever seen one.

Intrimidator - the world's tallest hyper coaster.

Intrimidator will go down in coaster history as one of the largest examples of engineering failure and false advertising

LMAO!!!!

FUNNIEST! POST! OF-THE-YEAR!!!

--Robb "Go have a look at Battlestar Glactica if you want to see a REAL example of an engineering failure." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

It makes me wonder why they had to trim it down THAT much? I can understand a little bit of trims, but I dont see why they needed to neuter it by 15 mph...and they basically have trims the entire length of the first drop...wouldn't even just half of that have sufficed? It disappoints me cause I was planning on getting there later this summer and after all those amazing reviews of when it opened, even if it's still great I'm sure it will just leave me wondering "what it could have been"

I don't remember, was the SOB accident related to the engineering of the ride itself vs the day to day maintenance? Because those are two VERY different things.