TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Well, another season comes and goes. See y'all in April for our yearly coaster speculation tradition.

#PleaseKD2017

Dear God no not again. I thought this thread had finally become tolerable for a bit. Let's not ruin that in April (or right now).

Well, maybe there will be some sort of land clearing or activity to actually justify the speculation

Anyway, it looks like I'll be moving back to Richmond in early 2016 so I look forward to returning to KD next year. I've missed I305 and I'm looking forward to Delirium!

Shockwave has been taken off sale. Rest in peace, buddy.

Does this confirm scrap yard? Im sure dedicated conspirators will find a way to prove that this means Shockwave is Dorney-bound.

I am sure there is someone out there that probably wishes that this would go to "Radien Ekal" to replace "Duca Slaff".

^It's normal. If you think Grizzly is bad take a ride up Comet's lift hill at Hersheypark. The car flexes back and forth like it is going to burst apart.

Thunderbolt at SFNE has always done this too but much like Comet the ride itself is very smooth and enjoyable. I actually think it's kind of cool.

Does anyone know if it is normal if your car tilts back and forth on a lift hill of a wooden coaster? Because that was happening to me on grizzly last time I rode it and it was pretty unnerving!

Oh yes, I've experienced that on many wooden roller coasters, and even some older steel coasters.

Does anyone know if it is normal if your car tilts back and forth on a lift hill of a wooden coaster? Because that was happening to me on grizzly last time I rode it and it was pretty unnerving!

Oh yes, I've experienced that on many wooden roller coasters, and even some older steel coasters.

PTC cars without an articulation unit (such as Comet & Thunderbolt) are designed to flex a little. The banking is very minimal on those structures so an articulation unit would just add to the initial cost and maintenance costs. Your likely to feel the flex during the course of the ride but on the lift hill since your going at such a slow rate of speed you can actually see the flex if your looking for it. The lift hill track is seldom replaced and forms ripples in it between the bents from the weight of the lift chain and train being pulled up it over the years.

While it is one of the greatest things to happen to the park (to some people), Delirum next year is gonna be a better use of space. The one thing i will miss is the loud trains though, and the neon loop. I have memories of watching it when i was at the park for the first time in 07, before we moved. Other than early memories...well that's all it gave. That and concussions, broken body parts, and other things I wish not to discuss. All in all ...

BURN BABY BURN

(Although maybe they'll reuse the steel? [probably not])

I really liked Shockwave when I rode it. It had some decent airtime and I didn't find it painful in the slightest. Sad to see it go but glad I got the chance to ride it. With lines like it had, I would say I'm not too torn up, but if it had waits more proportional to how good it was (i.e. just a fun ride to catch on your way from one bigger attraction to another) I would really have wanted them to keep it.

As an aside, I think I figured out why my experience was so radically different from the experience of others with this ride.

784f28624d2ff5b42434018d5e0e9a61.jpg

As you can see, with some people their head is directly in between the restraints, with some the restraints are nowhere near their head, others are somewhere in between. I don't know why since I'm not particularly tall but my head was nowhere near the restraints, so I experienced zero headbanging. In fact, I clicked myself into the restraints, looked around and saw nothing but the nice soft mesh behind my head, and thought to myself, "HOW does anybody find this uncomfortable??" But now looking at this picture I think I understand. There's a lot of variables with stand-up coasters.

I really liked Shockwave when I rode it. It had some decent airtime and I didn't find it painful in the slightest. Sad to see it go but glad I got the chance to ride it. With lines like it had, I would say I'm not too torn up, but if it had waits more proportional to how good it was (i.e. just a fun ride to catch on your way from one bigger attraction to another) I would really have wanted them to keep it.

As an aside, I think I figured out why my experience was so radically different from the experience of others with this ride.

784f28624d2ff5b42434018d5e0e9a61.jpg

As you can see, with some people their head is directly in between the restraints, with some the restraints are nowhere near their head, others are somewhere in between. I don't know why since I'm not particularly tall but my head was nowhere near the restraints, so I experienced zero headbanging. In fact, I clicked myself into the restraints, looked around and saw nothing but the nice soft mesh behind my head, and thought to myself, "HOW does anybody find this uncomfortable??" But now looking at this picture I think I understand. There's a lot of variables with stand-up coasters.

That is pretty much EXACTLY how I see it. I can see how other people don't enjoy it, but to me it was just great. Not good enough to be one of my favorite coasters, but still great. I get the headbanging issues, but was anyone else surprised by just how smooth the trains traveled the rails? That's probably one thing that surprised me the most. The anti rollback also is one of the coolest ones I've ever heard. Much better than Grizzly painfully loud ones, anyway.