TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I know the general public will probably be thrilled to see a shiny new coaster come to Dorney next year, but I for one am still very puzzled why they chose to send Invertigo there (and then plop it right next to Voodessed, another inverted shuttle coaster!). Frankly, I wish they would've just kept Laser. That little coaster was great, and was pretty forceful too. It's really a shame they couldn't have squeezed in Possessed and also kept Laser.

And shoot, if they had to get something from CGA, why didn't Cedar Fair just send them that GCI that never got built out there? I really like Dorney, but I do think they could use a modern woodie to round out their coaster lineup nicely.

^^Just to clarify, Laser wasn't removed because of Posessed taking up space. Laser was removed...For a number of reasons:

1. Diminished popularity

2. Inconvenient placement

3. The area where it was placed has started to become a ghost town the last few years

There's much more, but VooDoo (Posessed) has nothing to do with why Laser was moved.

Whoops, my mistake then. The last time I went to Dorney (which was after Voodoo/Possessed was already added), Laser was already gone. Tried to connect dots from there, but guess I should get my facts straight. I assumed, and we all know what happens when you do that!

That said, now I'm further bummed that they ditched Laser, since it in fact did operate alongside Possessed. It just cracks me up that this will make 3 hand-me-downs in a row for Dorney. I guess Cedar Fair decided to go green at Dorney with all this recycling.

It has to do with the fact that the general public down here in the NJ-PA area goes NUTS for new rides. Whether it be brand new or 10 years old, the un-knowledgable GP will believe in anything. Call it new, and they'll rush to it. Posessed/VooDoo was so popular because of the fact that no one had seen that kind of coaster in Dorney. When you bring something new there, people will come.

Same case with Demon Drop. People heard about it, and rode it with understanding that it was "new". Of course, that is somewhat the case.

It also has to do with the fact that Dorney Park isn't exactly an A-list park for CF. Dorney usually is placed among parks like King's Island or Carowinds. The parks that recieve big things every 2-3 years. This being the case, Dorney doesn't exactly get luxorious traits and get "brand-new coasters" very often. We were pretty damn lucky to get the monsters known as Talon and Hydra in only a 3-year span.

I'm sure Invertigo will be treated the same by the GP, as something "brand new" and "never seen before" in this end of the US.

If I had to guess, Dorney would probably go with re-theming, re-painting and re-naming of Invertigo. Perhaps repaint it black and blue and call it "Black Hole"?

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-dorney-park-new-coaster-approved-20110407,0,3548177.story

Dorney Park's proposal to install an inverted roller coaster in place of the old Laser ride was approved in a unanimous vote by South Whitehall Township commissioners Wednesday.

One commissioner even questioned the need for making the amusement park operator appear before the board for approval for each ride it adds or changes.

Dorney Park's 2012 plan calls for the installation of an "inverted boomerang" coaster to be relocated from a California park owned by parent company Cedar Fair LP.

The 138-foot tall ride will be reconditioned before being put into service at Dorney and will take the place of the double-loop Laser, a coaster that was removed in 2008 after 22 years. The location is in the northwest area of the park near Lincoln Drive.

Park officials have not announced the official name of the of the ride, though images shown in the plans proposed to the township show the Invertigo ride from Great America in California.

"Under the new zoning ordinance this is a replacement ride," said Dorney Park attorney, Joseph Bubba. "It's in compliance with zoning; it's in compliance with the overlay district."

Commissioner Thomas Johns questioned why park officials must return to the board repeatedly to make changes to the lay of the park.

The township and Dorney Park developed a document after roughly 15 years of debate and negotiation determining when officials would have to appear before commissioners. Township Solicitor Blake Marles said park operators probably don't really need to come before the board each time unless their proposal violates performance criteria or traffic, water or sewer issues arise.

Under the regulations, the park is subject to special requirements that restrict the height of rides based on property elevation. The regulations also oversee noise, music and lighting so neighboring residents will not be disturbed by activities there. The peak of the 138 foot-tall coaster will be located at a mean sea level of 450 feet, which is well below the permitted maximum elevation of 540 feet.

"It's as low in the park and as centrally located as possible," Bubba said. "The park is well aware of what the performance criteria are."

Walnut Street resident Gary Ward said the local homeowners group he is part of is always concerned about the impact of the neighborhood, but the group is not concerned with the new addition.

The ride will be located on 1.7 acres of the 187-acre property. Park officials have said the ride is modest in comparison to bigger coasters at the park, like Steel Force. Coaster riders will face each other and be suspended below the track. The ride will invert four times.

"We're real excited about this ride, it's a new experience for our guests," park manager Jason McClure said. "It's a nice thrill ride."

To make way for the coaster several kiddie rides have been removed, as well as a basketball game, concrete midways and a portion of a paved service drive. The ride will open in 2012.

All of Tot Spot's rides were removed. Some of them aren't even in the way of the coaster like the ones across from Voodoo but the real reason they are being removed is likely because they consider the new Planet Snoopy rides replacements and they want all the kiddie rides in 1 area. It's bad that 2 coasters were removed especially since Dragon Coaster was fun to ride once in a while.

I didn't realize they weren't putting this up for 2011. How long does it take to relocate an invertigo?!?!

This is probably about the same amount of time that it took Voodoo from being shipped from Ohio, to being refurbished and repainted, to clearing and construction till opening. May 2012 sounds like a good idea.

By the way, I find it kind of funny that the park keeps going to them to ask permission to add something when some of the projects don't require them to get their permission. It sounds like this one could've almost have been just an automatic build.

I didn't realize they weren't putting this up for 2011. How long does it take to relocate an invertigo?!?!

Relocating it isn't the problem. The problem is getting it to run properly once it's rebuilt!

By the way, I find it kind of funny that the park keeps going to them to ask permission to add something when some of the projects don't require them to get their permission. It sounds like this one could've almost have been just an automatic build.

Maybe the park was hoping NOT to get it approved and then Cedar Fair would have to give them something better?!?!

Maybe the park was hoping NOT to get it approved and then Cedar Fair would have to give them something better?!?!

Quite Possible. They may have wanted to use the negativity of the neighbors to maybe try to prevent it from being built. Now that it seems that they seem to have no problem with it, the plan probably back-fired when in the past, they've been trying to block everything else (Hydra, Voodoo, etc.) from being built. lol

The one at Six Flags America was closed everytime I visited the park, so this would definately be worth checking out once it's built. I'll head back to Dorney in 2012 to get this credit but lets just hope its open that day