TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

Those are the designed ride numbers. Of course the actual numbers are always lower. So if a ride is designed to do 1,300 riders an hour and only does 800 in actually then a ride designed to do 800 riders will actually do 400 an hour. I don't want a ride designed for less than 1,00 an hour.

Wow, this is the dumbest post I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, I think they consider a conversion and a new coaster separate entities.

Spinballing off this, I wonder how a relocation would fit in. I know a number have predicted that the Knotts Boomerang will be relocated somewhere. And I personally have predicted that Carowinds' Vortex will be relocated to MiA and get the floorless treatment during the trip north.

I wish CF would buy Wild Waves already. The park has so much potential.

The park has a 75t Height Limit, Is on 70 acres, and according to Six Flags 2006 Reports- Has less than 5 million people within 100 miles. Where's the Potential?

100 miles? What an arbitrary distance. Within 170 miles you hit both Portland and Vancouver. That's another 5 million.

Well then just make the Raptors duel, put the Windjammer name to a good effect, and all the capacity problems are solved.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Portland has grown, but it's half a million in the city, perhaps a million and a half in the metro area. (The whole state of Oregon has four million people.) Vancouver BC is bigger, but they also have Coaster, a better ride than anything south of the border (until you get to the SF bay area).

I'd support CF buying The Oaks and installing something better than their Looping Pinfari, the best coaster in Oregon.

Those are the designed ride numbers. Of course the actual numbers are always lower. So if a ride is designed to do 1,300 riders an hour and only does 800 in actually then a ride designed to do 800 riders will actually do 400 an hour. I don't want a ride designed for less than 1,00 an hour.

Wow, this is the dumbest post I've seen in a long time.

While the delivery left a little to be desired, that IS how it works.

When you see the numbers 800 / hour, 1000 / hr, 1200 / hr, etc posted publicly, that's the -theoretical- hourly ride capacity. That capacity is only reached when you have perfect dispatches, no stacking, no guests holding up the loading and unloading, no rechecking of harnesses / restraints, every train on the circuit, no downtime - all at once.

The only instance where a coaster will actually reach the theoretical number is if every train is boarded and ready to go before it's allowed to actually leave the station, or if there's only one train at all (like on Premier Sky Rocket IIs). The only places where I have seen this happen consistently are the Disney parks, and Knoebels. In nearly every other park I go to, there is at least some form of stacking going on, especially with major coasters.

In my work I generally like to estimate that under most circumstances, the actual capacity will be somewhere between two-thirds and three-quarters the theoretical depending on the day.

Edited by A.J.

Portland has grown, but it's half a million in the city, perhaps a million and a half in the metro area. (The whole state of Oregon has four million people.) Vancouver BC is bigger, but they also have Coaster, a better ride than anything south of the border (until you get to the SF bay area).

I'd support CF buying The Oaks and installing something better than their Looping Pinfari, the best coaster in Oregon

Portland and Vancouver BC metros each have around 2.4 million as for the Oaks, haaahaahaaa.

While the delivery left a little to be desired, that IS how it works.

When you see the numbers 800 / hour, 1000 / hr, 1200 / hr, etc posted publicly, that's the -theoretical- hourly ride capacity. That capacity is only reached when you have perfect dispatches, no stacking, no guests holding up the loading and unloading, no rechecking of harnesses / restraints, every train on the circuit, no downtime - all at once.

Oh I certainly don't disagree with that. But there are a lot more variables in play here. Sometimes manufacturers (and parks) grossly overestimate the theoretical capacity. Can you imagine a world where Xcelerator actually runs 1300 people per hour? That's a fully-loaded dispatch every 55 seconds! Completely unreasonable. But the estimates we typically see from B&M are much more reasonable. Then it comes down to the crew and the park's emphasis on efficiency. Disney will almost always come quite close to their theoretical max, because they just run like that. Six Flags generally won't. So to say that there's some nonsense mathematical formula you can apply to it - which the original poster implied - is absurd.

My original point was that Knotts has installed many low-capacity attractions in recent history, and while we'd all love to see them put in a people-eater, it doesn't seem to be a high priority for the park.

After reading through this thread and piecing of few things together, I'm going to have to agree with the prediction made earlier that CGA will be adding a Wicked Twister-like Impulse coaster. And Knotts will be getting the first RMC Raptor prototype, which like Xcelerator before it, will then get the full, record breaking treatment at one of the larger parks in the chain.

After reading through this thread and piecing of few things together, I'm going to have to agree with the prediction made earlier that CGA will be adding a Wicked Twister-like Impulse coaster. And Knotts will be getting the first RMC Raptor prototype, which like Xcelerator before it, will then get the full, record breaking treatment at one of the larger parks in the chain.

Doesn't the raptor train only hold a one seater? Doesn't sound like a good fit for knotts capacity wise.

Raptor trains have four cars. Each car seats two people sitting inline.

Xcelerator is just shorter and a little slower than TTD. The trains even seat the same number. It's not even the same as the difference between Raptor and TRex.

A little slower? lol

I didn't say it was the same. A Raptor at Knotts would be a way to put a unique coaster at Knotts all while testing out the new single rail track for a possible larger, T-Rex install down the road. CF also has the money to modify rides to suit the needed capacity (unlike Six Flags). Double stations...ect.

I'm thinking the two unaccounted for coasters go to Michigan and Pennsylvania.

There's a better chance Six Flags sells Magic Mountain to Cedar Fair.

They tried to a number of years ago

This would be great. Could you imagine Magic Mountain, but run like a Cedar Point!? It would be a dream.

Never say never!

Could the ride which is made by a renewed relationship with a manufacturer be from Chance rides? If so, that would be great!

When I think of a renewed relationship I'm not picturing a flat ride relationship.

That said, I would love a Hyper GTX. I haven't been on one of course, but the videos on YouTube look great. And I always loved the look of the old Arrow/ Morgan track and even the Vekoma track on Boom.

And forget it is a hyper coaster after all, albeit a short one. The Chance website says it has a customizable layout. I wonder if they customize anything else like the height maybe.

Thinking of Vekoma...this could fit both the "new relationship" and the "new type" labels, no? A Vekoma Mega/Hyper would be pretty sweet anywhere, especially Knotts if they made it work.

No they didn't. People just assumed that because Six Flags publicly announced SFMM was for sale in 2006.

No they didn't. People just assumed that because Six Flags publicly announced SFMM was for sale in 2006.

From Wikipedia

Screenshot_2017-05-10-13-07-43.thumb.png.6a2fbb2862c6beba187783481c792c97.png